How does 5.1 become 4.0?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Here is my dilemma. I am running a 4.0 system as my main listening room. I have a Tate and other 'legacy' surround equipment. The digital side is handled by an old Pioneer DVD player that will play SACD and DVDA discs, purchased when both of those formats were new. DTS also, of course. The Pioneer has the ability in its DAC to down-convert to 4.0 mixing the center channel with the format left/right. Good as for as it goes. But what about the blu ray format? By chance, my main blu ray player in my video room is an Oppo 203, bought new from OPPO in 2018 (better to be lucky than smart). I can swap that into my music system but the OPPO will only do 2.0, 5.1, and 7.1. No way to get surround and the center channel mixed to 4.0. SO what's a 4.0 person to do? Are the stand alone DOCs that will convert to 4.0 instead of 2.0 or 5.1? Help.

The Oppo 203 will happily downmix 5.1 or 7.1 to 4.0. All you have to do is go into the speaker configuration and tell it you have no center channel and no sub (unless you have a sub). This, of course, only affects the analog outputs, which I assume you're using.

Hmm how is that done? The manual indicates that only 2.0 5.1 and 7.1 are available. IS it in a different menu? That would really rock as the Oppo is really what I want in the audio system. I can get a Sony or something much cheaper for the video room.

Hmm how is that done? The manual indicates that only 2.0 5.1 and 7.1 are available. IS it in a different menu? That would really rock as the Oppo is really what I want in the audio system. I can get a Sony or something much cheaper for the video room.
You choose the 5.1 (or 7.1) menu. Then you choose the "No" option for each speaker that you do not have, including the sub.

Go into the Setup menu, then scroll down to Audio Processing and select Speaker Configuration. In the manual, it's all described starting on page 64.

Back