How good is this amp?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically speaking, it IS a 4-channel amplifier. BUT this amplifier MUST be connected with the CX 790, in order to work (the connection between the two units are with a specific flat cable) and the two makes a Dolby Surround system , in which the 4 channels are Front Left, Front Right, Center and Back (Back can be doubled, but it is not TWO separate channels).
4 channels? Yes. For quadraphonic sources? No.

Hint: look for pitures of the back of the amplifier: if you see a separate input front left front right rear left rear right (for 4.0 system) + center + sub (for 5.1 system) and the 4, 5 or 6 speaker output (sub out may be missing, since many subs are self-amplified) you have something that can do quad, if this is what you're looking for.

Technically speaking, it IS a 4-channel amplifier. BUT this amplifier MUST be connected with the CX 790, in order to work (the connection between the two units are with a specific flat cable) and the two makes a Dolby Surround system , in which the 4 channels are Front Left, Front Right, Center and Back (Back can be doubled, but it is not TWO separate channels).
4 channels? Yes. For quadraphonic sources? No.

Hint: look for pitures of the back of the amplifier: if you see a separate input front left front right rear left rear right (for 4.0 system) + center + sub (for 5.1 system) and the 4, 5 or 6 speaker output (sub out may be missing, since many subs are self-amplified) you have something that can do quad, if this is what you're looking for.
Thanks again for the info! I am a little bit confused about the difference between a av 5.1 and a vintage 4 channel amp..other than not having a center ch ..or dedicated sub out. Can any equipment more than 2 channels a quad?

Last edited:
Thanks again for the info! I am a little bit confused about the difference between a av 5.1 and a vintage 4 channel amp..other than not having a center ch ..or dedicated sub out. Can any equipment more than 2 channels a quad?
For quad, an amplifier with four discreet channels is required. Two stereo amps also works.
For 5.1, an amplifier with at least five discreet channels is required. As winopener said, many subs have built in power amps and do not require an amp channel.

Maybe if you clarify what are you looking for we can suggest something more precise.

4-channel is not necessarily the same as quadraphonic, especially if gear is newer than the late-70s. There are a lot of 4-channel car amplifiers for instance that are for bi-amping stereo speakers (one amplifier channel for each bass speaker and one for each midrange-treble speaker), or for powering front and rear stereo pairs.

As for that Pioneer amplifier, it is very poor quality. Leave it alone. As winopener said, it was intended to be used as an entry-level Dolby Pro-Logic 'home theatre' system … but that technology isn't really worth using today. If you have a 4-channel source or decoder, you would do better to use two stereo receivers or amplifiers than that Pioneer.

A good rule of thumb to use when it comes to identifying a vintage quadraphonic receiver is that most were silver. I can't think of one that was black, but there might have been a couple somewhere in the world. Also, you will see markings like 'Matrix', 'SQ', 'QS', 'RM' or some variant like 'Quadradial' or 'Quadravox'. If it is from the 80s or newer, it isn't quadraphonic.

A good rule of thumb to use when it comes to identifying a vintage quadraphonic receiver is that most were silver. I can't think of one that was black, but there might have been a couple somewhere in the world.

Sansui, for example?

Yeah I am aware of the silver face generation of sound ..have an sx-680...great little amp. I just in shock over how loud this Panasonic re7844 is in my bedroom..wow! Seriously cant turn up the 4 vol. Sliders past 3!! It's just the analog out from the TV to a couple y adapters into the panny and its like maybe 20 watts if that..

Back