How Many Have Tinnitus?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
....and what are you doing about it?

I have been meaning to ask this question for weeks. I have attended many loud concerts, and recently my tinnitus has gotten worse. I have to concede that this is impacting my surround listening. When the noise floor goes up, the enjoyment goes down.

Does anyone else have this, and what if anything are you doing to manage it?

I hear a constant test frequency at around 15KHz all the time, but if there's any background noise, even a small fan blowing in the background, I don't really notice it much. When I'm listening to music or a movie with at least a moderate level I don't notice it at all. I just try not to focus on it.

Mine is kind of like @Frogmort's. When it's quiet, I can hear that high-frequency background ringing. When there's anything else at all to concentrate on, I don't notice it any more. Occasionally over the past couple of years I've also had bouts of "clicking" tinnitus--certain sounds will set off a kind of faint, paper-crinkling sound in my right ear, especially. I put in earplugs now when I go the to gym, when I'm vacuuming around the house, using power tools...anything like that. My overall acuity is still pretty sharp, although I know I have to turn up the radio and TV louder than I used to. But I think the tinnitus is basically a by-product of gradual high-frequency hearing loss, and the ear's crazy attempt to compensate. Too much time around lawnmowers and farm equipment as a kid, too many concerts at First Avenue in Minneapolis as a grad student...

Last edited:
Mine is kind of like @Frogmort's. When it's quiet, I can hear that background ringing. When there's anything else at all to concentrate on, I don't notice it any more. Occasionally over the past couple of years I've also had bouts of "clicking" tinnitus--certain sounds will set off a kind of faint, paper-crinkling sound in my right ear, especially. I put in earplugs now when I go the to gym, when I'm vacuuming around the house...anything like that. My overall acuity is still pretty sharp, although I know I have to turn up the radio and TV louder than I used to. But I think the tinnitus is basically a by-product of gradual high-frequency hearing loss, and the ear's crazy attempt to compensate...
What I hear when it's quiet is a high-pitched 'EEEEEEEEEEE" kind of sound. It's actually pretty fascinating to discuss the sounds that are emanating from our own perception and not part of the music we are listening to. I wonder what kind of scooped out/boosted type of stuff my old ears are hearing sometimes. Certain things still sound great, like Steely Dan, but who knows?

I have it. It's often not noticeable it's so low. After being in a noisy area like the gym and quiet like the car it can be roaring. It slowly fades back down to a lower level and I can forget about it for the night.

So it's not really a big bother. I seem to be able to hear all frequencies fine enough. Different sound signatures from various cartridges are all still apparent.

As long as it does not get much worse I'm fine with it. I would not trade my concert going experiences for a bit less high pitched nothingness I have to deal with.

But I should get my hearing checked to see if I have anything missing up there.

I feel fine.

I have tinnitus on my left ear after seeing Southside Johnny and the Asbury dukes.
After that i always wear earplugs at least in the bad ear.
The problem has not increased propably because of my new "earplug habit".
I am not suffering much by it and i don´t think it effects my music listening at home.
I wouldn´t be able to increase the volume to "concert level" at home anyway

I have been wearing earplugs at loud concerts for decades, long before I ever heard the ring.

I first experienced mine after a visit to a water park. At the end of the day I had that feeling of still having water in my right ear, which was accompanied by the ring. The water went away, but not the ring. The perception of the ring gradually faded - like many others - such that I would only hear it in low ambient noise environments, like when I went to bed at night. In the last year or two, my left ear has kicked in, and it is louder than the right. It also rings at a different frequency than the right. So I have a regular symphoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee going on in my head. Sometimes they both fade and I forget, but sometimes, like right now, it is big - omnipresent.

Anyone have any folk (or other) remedies? I saw one YouTube video about thumping the back of your neck with your fingers, but I really do not get much from the technique. Saw another article in an AARP rag about getting a device from an audiologist that produces the same tone but louder, which when removed after a night of sleep seems to reduce the ambient ring. Have not tried this one. Anyone else?

I have a very little bit after years in construction where every day it is loud and of course too many rock concerts. Tonight I am going to a show at The Fillmore with Stevie Van Zandt and Sunday the 49ers at Levis stadium and Monday I have a hearing test. I am wearing ear plugs to both events this weekend for the first time in my life because I know my ears would be toast for Monday's hearing test if I didn't.

I thought if you get a sudden loud sound and a "ringing" you will never hear the freq. that sound made again. any audiologist's'? here? Like a gunshot, close to your ears.
Those my age, have attended concerts where if you were too close to the stage and speakers you got hit. I know they are far louder today but there is high tech equipment at work with a clean sound return, unlike the 70's blaring and LOUD!
I have little doubt t5hat I have lost some hearing ability, some purposely - (I love to play deaf) you hear things that people think you can't!!
One ( the ass hat is deaf) another- (Oh that F c er can't hear you. ) You discover who just is a friend in the process.
anyway, ya I get the ringing all the time. I notice with age also, one looses the ability to hear and see properly without aids. no wonder the hearing aid business is booming! The Music industry ought to get a cut of profits!

I have noticed it more as I age. Thankfully I can forget about it most of the time. Unfortunately, it is literally driving my brother in law crazy, especially at night. He made an appointment to see a psychiatrist. I will pass along any suggested remedies to him.

There is no "real" cure for it...I had a temporary problem with it at night...what I did was turn on my stereo receiver in the bedroom to a very low volume...just loud enough to distract my brain from concentrating on the sounds in my ears....I no longer have the problem...mine wasn't associated with hearing loss or the normal ringing or clicking sounds...it was a "hissing" sound....it followed an ear infection...but while it existed it was horrible...couldn't sleep and I was watching those info commericals at 3am...I mean buying 2 juicers in 4 months was a little excessive...even for meo_O

I have a very little bit after years in construction where every day it is loud and of course too many rock concerts. Tonight I am going to a show at The Fillmore with Stevie Van Zandt and Sunday the 49ers at Levis stadium and Monday I have a hearing test. I am wearing ear plugs to both events this weekend for the first time in my life because I know my ears would be toast for Monday's hearing test if I didn't.

I find that the slightly spendy "musician's" earplugs--featherweight vinyl, look like something out of the Jetsons--are better for concerts than the throwaway foam plugs. They reduce the overall volume while letting high frequencies through. These ones are out of stock at the big river, but I'm sure similar ones are available elsewhere...

I have been wearing earplugs at loud concerts for decades, long before I ever heard the ring.

Anyone have any folk (or other) remedies? I saw one YouTube video about thumping the back of your neck with your fingers, but I really do not get much from the technique. Saw another article in an AARP rag about getting a device from an audiologist that produces the same tone but louder, which when removed after a night of sleep seems to reduce the ambient ring. Have not tried this one. Anyone else?

It should be finger in the ear and thump with your thumb slightly behind it. For me it works, removing any ringing for a few minutes. I only do it when it is really bad.
As far as tinnitus goes, pretty sure it is caused by a combination of a lifetime of concerts, riding a motorcycle (with helmet, but the wind still roars) and a decade with mortars.

I worked in a metal stamping facility for 30 years. We had areas that the noise measured up to 115 decibels at times. I always enjoyed listening to music, so I was diligent about wearing earplugs from day one. I have attended hundreds of concerts but always take earplugs. I wear them when I mow the lawn or use a leaf blower or chainsaw as well. I must admit I enjoy listening to my system at levels around 85 decibels but never for more than 3 or 4 hours at the most during a listening session. Here is a chart I found that has noise exposure levels and duration.

1544201628661.png

I have the same that a few people have mentioned,the high frequency loss, I think of it as a constant hiss or as frogmart said test tone.
I totally believe its the brain putting in that tone for what it's not getting from the ears at the higher frequency. I have been tested and am on borderline to needing hearing aids, have tried them and hearing aids definitely help bring back the higher frequency stuff but at same time everything gets amplified so have not used them much yet.

Thankfully it does not bother me for sleeping so that's good and listening to music makes me forget about the hiss as well so that's good as well.

Back