How Many Have Tinnitus?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For people commenting about which ear you sleep on, I sleep more on my right side and hence right ear but it's the left that has tinnitus. I don't think it's anything to do with sleeping side, that doesn't damage your ears.

Mesothelioma is a very rare lung cancer to get for any reason other than asbestos exposure. The doctors were as sure as they can be. When asked how much asbestos was in the air he replied "thick enough it looked like you could cut chunks of it from the air".
The UK compensation scheme has something like a 30 year cutoff between your last exposure to asbestos and you developing mesothelioma. My grandad was a couple of years beyond it. He even had the trade union handling his legal case, he'd kept paying his union subscriptions all the years he was retired.
My Great Uncle worked as a draughtsman in a Railway Engineering office, never handled asbestos yet was killed by Mesothelioma from the dust in the air where he worked, he passed away a couple of years after retirement. He or my Great Aunt did manage to get a settlement. His daughter, my mother's cousin, studied medicine and became a GP, and died from Mesothelioma at about 65, which they were certain was caused by the dust on her father's clothes - she used to give him a hug as a child when he got back from work. Asbestos is a terrible material.

I have it. Will be 67 in a month. I will say that if you haven't been to an audiologist in a while check to see if you have compacted ear wax. That was the case for me. Getting it take out gently (not by having your local clinic blow it out) did wonders. The tinnitius is still there, but very faint. I wear ear plugs now when going to concerts, playing gigs, and mowing the lawn!

My Great Uncle worked as a draughtsman in a Railway Engineering office, never handled asbestos yet was killed by Mesothelioma from the dust in the air where he worked, he passed away a couple of years after retirement. He or my Great Aunt did manage to get a settlement. His daughter, my mother's cousin, studied medicine and became a GP, and died from Mesothelioma at about 65, which they were certain was caused by the dust on her father's clothes - she used to give him a hug as a child when he got back from work. Asbestos is a terrible material.

Yes I know a couple of people who worked in construction back in the 70,s and little was known at the time about the effect of asbestos on the lungs. Once it's in the lungs it stays there.
There are and were great debates in Canada 's Parliament , well because asbestos was the main industry in that Quebec town , Asbestos...now renamed , Valley Of The Springs.

I find this kind of heartening to read as I thought it was just me but now I suspect any of us who have done active stuff when we were young are now having the consequences. Mine is more or less ignorable, if I stay busy but I certainly find I listen to less loud music than I used to. I also agree that multichannel mixes do help bring back some of the loss by exposing what's left of my ears to more audio info. Kind of ironic that by the time most of us can afford a really good system we cant hear it properly.

I remember many a concert that were louder than hell..Judas Priest 1981, Blue Oyster Cult 1983, etc., on those , my ringing lasted one night… But the clincher was Living Colour in 1992 in Madrid where they played a medium sized venue with an arena system and my ears were ringing for about THREE DAYS!…I think that it has been there ever since…

I went to see Manowar in 1984, apparently they were the loudest band in the world at the time, it’s the only concert i’ve ever been to where nobody was right against the stage, we were standing about 10 yards back from the stage lol

I was at Knebworth in 1985 when Deep Purple were going to try to reclaim the record as the loudest band in the world. They had what could best be described as a 5.0 system with PA towers at the four corners pointing inwards as well as around the stage. It rained which meant they couldn't turn it up, and as a result the sound quality was fantastic. Many songs had significant elements in the rears as a proper surround mix too. One of the best gigs of my life.

Curious on the numbers here: how many have their worst ear as the side they sleep on? I sleep on my right side, and that is certainly the ear I have the most trouble with. My dad suggested there might be a pattern there, but I can't sleep on my other side to test it (besides, who want TWO bad ears?).

I have to rotisserate (turn over every hour or so) in my sleep, so that has no bearing. My left ear is worse because the x-loud sound was on that side.

I have never read through this thread because I'm afraid of it :cry:

About five years ago we went to a magician show at the summer shows in the next town. The companion music was really high. Not bass rumble but very high tweeter frequencies.
My brother in law offered me ear plugs but I turned them down because I thought I would hold up just fine.

The day after, not only tinnitus, but dizziness when turning the head. It took several months to disappear, but I still have a slight tinnitus that I deal with quite well and I try to ignore it.

What pisses me off the most is that it wasn't at a concert by one of my favorite bands, but at a school festival of a magician show.

One source of asbestos is brake pads and linings.

One source of asbestos is brake pads and linings.
A lot was used back when for insulation on heating ductwork.
My place in Chicago had what was once a coal fired gravity feed furnace, a blower was added to made it forced air, then upgraded to oil burner, then later natural gas. LOL It had those big round octopus ducts that were all wrapped in asbestos. Folks didn't throw things out back then.

My brother in law has just been diagnosed with Asbestosis a couple of months ago.
The only exposure he has had was when he renovated his house 30 years ago using asbestos infused dry wall . James Hardie ( a huge company here in Australia) manufactured the dry wall and ended up having to put millions of dollars in a kitty to pay victims....the company then withdrew the money and changed the company structure to the UK, so they weren't liable anymore.A former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia was their lawyer !
(Google it if interested )
You don't want to know the medical procedures he has to endure.

Last edited:
The only exposure he has had was when he renovated his house 30 years ago using asbestos infused dry wall .
30 years ago we knew full well what asbestos does, there was no excuse for still using it in the 1990s. It was banned in the UK before then. My house was built in 1987 and shouldn't have any asbestos in it, but a lot of builders spent a few years quietly using existing material that had been manufactured before the ban so it's possible I have some in the artex and similar.

Back