How many members have cd+g discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter

Since 2002/2003
I know this is a surround site but I have been wondering since most all are music fans, how many have cd+g cd's in their collection? I would like to know if anyone had a dedicated cd+g player in their system? I bought a Sega Cd add on when it came out and got the cd+g sampler that came with it. I started buying some of the discs when they came out but it was difficult to find and determine when new discs came out. I own 12 of them and was wondering if anyone else had collected or bought them. Also should I do a transfer to dvd before the Sega dies or do the current karaoke machines read these older discs? I know it seems pointless but???

The only title I know that I have that is said to be CD+G is an old version of The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Smash Hits. I bought this specifically because of it being a perculiar Hendrix release but to this day I've still not seen the graphic portion. I have read quite a few reports of it not being too spectacular. Well at least getting a copy satisfied the getting part of being a collector. I'd best now check if anything that I have will display the graphics to satisfy the real reason I got it!

I think I might have one. I forget which one it is, but I'll see if I can dig it out. There were some strange CDs that came out in the CD era, the CDi, the "Enhanced CD", shoot, there were a bunch. I hated the ones that started to load crap on your PC when you put them in the CD-ROM drive to play tunes or rip tunes.

The only title I know that I have that is said to be CD+G is an old version of The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Smash Hits. I bought this specifically because of it being a perculiar Hendrix release but to this day I've still not seen the graphic portion. I have read quite a few reports of it not being too spectacular. Well at least getting a copy satisfied the getting part of being a collector. I'd best now check if anything that I have will display the graphics to satisfy the real reason I got it!

Same here... I bought the title years ago for this reason in the 1990s, but nothing, no graphics or anything ever happened. I also do do not "see" any extra data on the disc when put in Mac or Windows. So the question is how to play this and if the data is even there or just a regular CD. The sticker, which I still have says it has the graphics.

Karaoke machines can be of two kind: CD+G or VideoCD. Sometimes there are machines that can do both.

Most of the discs that I have a cd+g stamp in the inner circle of the disc. The Flaming Groovies Greatest Grooves does not but is still a cd+g disc. I have been looking for a copy of the Talking Heads Naked but whenever I find a used copy it does not have a cd+g stamp and the 2 that I have bought used do not display the graphics when played. When I put any cd+g disc in the computer and open the disc as a file I don't find anything that looks different from a regular cd. I hoped there were people on the forum that could expand my knowledge of this very short lived format.

I have 100 CD +G Discs. Also a dedicated Karaoke/ CD Unit from Vocopro. We sometimes have Karaoke Parties here at the house. It is a blast. People are singing and laughing and drinking. I got hooked on this about 3 years ago. We already have a Theatre Room with an HD Projector (120" Diagonal). What is unusual about our system is that it is in 7.1 Dolby Digital Sound. It took me a while to tweak this system. most places have stereo only. All the systems I have seen or sung at have the following: 2 speakers on stands, two mics, a stereo amp, songs often on a hard drive and a 20" monitor! I hooked the Vocopro Karaoke to my Surround sound Preamp/processor via Digital Optical Audio Cable. Now here is the trick. Microphones are analog devices (vocals). The trick is blending it togeather with the 7.1 Music and tweaking it all to blend well togeather. We use a separate (Sonance) amplifier for the vocals) connected to two very nice center channel speakers (one in the front of the room; one in the rear of the room.) It sounds amazing, even if I have to say so. Seeing the Graphics (words) coming across the 120" Screen is imcredible. People just can't believe it. The 100 CD + G discs run the gammit from old stuff like Elvis to Pink Floyd and everything in between. Some of the discs feature 1 artist (many are greatest Hits discs). Some of the discs have 2 - 3 groups music on each. Then the rest are compilation discs from 2 - 12 discs. The Beatles, female groups & singers, Duets, and much more. Because of all the discs, I have them categorized spelling out every song & group. I also use a 100 disc CD holder that actually hands you the disc you want by pressing the number button that you want. It makes it much easier to quickly find a disc or song. We do these systems for customers sometimes. You can check this out on our website: www.mrhookup.tv. It's just a lot of fun. And to think that before 3 years ago, I had never sang before.

What I was hoping to find out is if any of the of the releases from Warner Bros. that had graphics that played along with the music will play in the current karaoke players and not just some of the original mainstream electronic compamies players that were advertised as cd+g players. If you have any of these cds, could you try them and report on what they play: Chris Isaak Silvertone, Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits, Lou Reed New York, Fleetwood Mac Behind The Mask, Bonnie Raitt Green Light. There were several other releases but I remember what these looked like. thanks, Scott

I still have Lou Reed - New York and kinda forgot about that aspect. Also have a 1991 JVC audio brochure that shows a XL-G512NBK CD+G player that first appeared in 1989 or 1990. Samples in the brochure show 1) song chords for play-along, 2) Lyrics or libretti or 3) liner notes. The visual equavalent of DOS.

Sold my CD-Vs as well; this discussion reminded me of those. Worth more to Rush, Scorpions & Dire Straits collectors today no doubt!

Back