How many of the Tull reissues do you own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought A la mode because it was half price in my favourite record store and had vouchers left over from xmas and my birthday, had never really heard Tull before although obviously had heard of them, I like it but not sure I like it enough to buy many more, unless someone can persuade me otherwise
I would say I wouldn't judge whether you will like Jethro Tull purely based on listening to "A". "A" is where they started to experiment with synths more than previously. Tull is known for having several different phases of musical styles through their career, each sounding very different from the others. As I'm sure you are aware, Aqualung is considered their classic album and sounds nothing like "A". If you have a chance (on Spotify or whatever), listen to Aqualung, and then Songs From the Wood (from their "folky" period). If neither of those are to your liking, then you probably don't need to go any further.

Speaking strictly of surround, every studio album in their catalog from “This Was” to “A” has been issued in the book format. “Aqualung” was originally released as a super deluxe box with a blu-ray and vinyl instead of a DVD, and “Benefit” was originally released as a tri-fold, but both were later also issued in book format.

I believe some recent albums were also released in surround but I didn’t get them. Someone else may be able to complete that list.
Living in the Past was never released in a deluxe version. But it is a compilation album of sorts. A surround track list can be culled together from the other studio albums, except for a track or two I believe.

I have them all, including the first Aqualung box (with vinyl/Blu-ray) and minus the uncorrected Thick As A Brick. I hope the surround mixes show up somewhere else, even if streaming-only, but ideally as lossless downloads from somewhere like IAA. I once thought that maybe at the end of the run, whenever that is, they might repackage all the new mixes onto a Blu-ray collection. Given how things are with physical media these days, and the emergence of surround/immersive audio streaming, I highly doubt that now.

I listened to Discipline two or three times and it is one of the most horrible albums I have listened to (according to my musical tastes), so those three KC releases are enough for me.
This takes me back to 1981 when I went to Stereo Warehouse in San Juan, PR where el Flaco was is in charge of playing the new LPs....
I told him I loved Prog, especially Yes...
so he proceeded to play side 2 of Discipline which I immediately HATED.
You have to understand that Yes is mostly major chords and “Lovey Dovey” prog, where as KCrimson is the total opposite...
Fast forward to 1982 my Temple U roommate played ”Starless and Bible black” for me and I said... ”isn’t that John Wetton???” of course after Asia BUT my 1st concert ever was U.K. In 1979 ...I was hooked immediately to THAT KC and it took me a while to get used to the 80s KC but in the end the Fripp/Bruford tandem won me over...

Soooo, give it some time and listen to either LTIAspic or SABBlack and you will then graduate...trust me, you will be glad you did...

This takes me back to 1981 when I went to Stereo Warehouse in San Juan, PR where el Flaco was is in charge of playing the new LPs....
I told him I loved Prog, especially Yes...
so he proceeded to play side 2 of Discipline which I immediately HATED.
You have to understand that Yes is mostly major chords and “Lovey Dovey” prog, where as KCrimson is the total opposite...
Fast forward to 1982 my Temple U roommate played ”Starless and Bible black” for me and I said... ”isn’t that John Wetton???” of course after Asia BUT my 1st concert ever was U.K. In 1979 ...I was hooked immediately to THAT KC and it took me a while to get used to the 80s KC but in the end the Fripp/Bruford tandem won me over...

Soooo, give it some time and listen to either LTIAspic or SABBlack and you will then graduate...trust me, you will be glad you did...
That's not how music works for me and it is in part why I have so few albums. For me, it's about how music makes me feel, the emotional reaction it triggers. If I don't like it, I don't and I won't change my mind because someone says I should give it another try.

If an album doesn't grab me immediately, it may be because it needs a few listens over time to fully appreciate, which can be a very enjoyable experience. These albums are 'growers', and usually they are the ones that stay with me the longest. Passion Play was one of these for me.

If an album doesn't grab me immediately, it may be because it needs a few listens over time to fully appreciate, which can be a very enjoyable experience. These albums are 'growers', and usually they are the ones that stay with me the longest. Passion Play was one of these for me.
This is it for me as well, my favourite band is Spocks Beard and i’ve never loved any of their albums the first time I hear it but after 6 or 7 listens once you have soaked up everything WOW

I have these:

This Was
Stand Up

Aqualung

A Passion Play
WarChild
Minstrel in the Gallery
Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll...
Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses

For a while I would buy every new one, then the pandemic happened and they just sort of fell off my priorities list. I'd like to get Stormwatch though, and Thick as a Brick if it ever gets reissued.

That's not how music works for me and it is in part why I have so few albums. For me, it's about how music makes me feel, the emotional reaction it triggers. If I don't like it, I don't and I won't change my mind because someone says I should give it another try.
Remember the old chinese adage that a person has to be like bamboo; flexible, because if you are not, you will break...

Remember the old chinese adage that a person has to be like bamboo; flexible, because if you are not, you will break...
Liking music is like loving someone, you can't force it, it has to happen on it's own and when it doesn't, you just have to accept it.

It's like Gentle Giant, I tried to like it, I wanted to like it, but I just don't (outside of Free Hand).

I never was into JT until I got quadradiscs of war child and aqualung. Those two titles grew on me, so I bought the aqualung bluray (from a QQ guy who wanted the book edition) and added war child, minstrel, benefit and thick brick.I didnt buy any more JT's because i had bought a bunch of the king crimson discs that i never listen to and figured the same thing would happen with JT. Of course, now that the JT's have gone on to be crazy valuable I wish I had bought all of em!

I own all but Stand Up and Thick as a Brick - I have TAAB's corrected disc as I purchased it originally but hit a run of hard luck and sold it for gas money, and then was flabbergasted to see that the price to re-buy was now hyper-inflated. I would love to just purchase the book and case, as I already have the surround disc and can purchase the stereo to supplement the other discs. I almost snagged it off Facebook Marketplace, but the person selling it ignored my purchase and never responded to my messages. Blast.

I bought Stand Up from a third party reseller and was amazed to find out that apparently these sets are being bootlegged - the discs were counterfeit and the book did not have the pop-up in the middle. I returned it and have not been able to find that one at a reasonable price since. I now make sure that I purchase them as soon as they are released.

I've been a fan since the early 70s, have all the box sets as each was pre-ordered upon announcement. Saw them back in 1974 when they came to Oz, and still remember how Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's striped outfit matched the stripes on his bass, so from way back in the audience, it looked like he was strumming his tummy.
67472577_10157363107267629_2044953338306363392_n.jpg

I've been a fan since the early 70s, have all the box sets as each was pre-ordered upon announcement. Saw them back in 1974 when they came to Oz, and still remember how Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond's striped outfit matched the stripes on his bass, so from way back in the audience, it looked like he was strumming his tummy.
View attachment 76386
Jeffrey rocks! He sometimes got dissed for his musical abilities, but I think his bass playing was great, not to mention his sense of style and absurdity...

I saw that same tour here in the US. Absolutely classic..

Not a big fan. I have:
  • Aqualung
  • Heavy Horses
  • Songs From the Wood
  • Stormwatch
  • 'A'
The first three I wanted. The last two I took a chance on and don't care for them. I doubt I would buy any more future releases nor try to get anything already released. I don't fancy myself a collector and have a hard time buying something I've never going to listen to.

Back