How many of the Tull reissues do you own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy.

What's the difference between the reissue and the original box? This reissue has a CD & DVD (Standard?). Did the original come with extra disks of bonus material? Was the DVD (Audio?). My other JT boxes have 4 discs (two cds & Two DVD's) and this one has only two...I guess that is reflected in the price too.
That said, I'm glad it's available at all. Songs From The woods is another that I missed.

Here are a few of the older boxes ...

20220623_183425as.jpg

This takes me back to 1981 when I went to Stereo Warehouse in San Juan, PR where el Flaco was is in charge of playing the new LPs....
I told him I loved Prog, especially Yes...
so he proceeded to play side 2 of Discipline which I immediately HATED.
You have to understand that Yes is mostly major chords and “Lovey Dovey” prog, where as KCrimson is the total opposite...
Fast forward to 1982 my Temple U roommate played ”Starless and Bible black” for me and I said... ”isn’t that John Wetton???” of course after Asia BUT my 1st concert ever was U.K. In 1979 ...I was hooked immediately to THAT KC and it took me a while to get used to the 80s KC but in the end the Fripp/Bruford tandem won me over...

Soooo, give it some time and listen to either LTIAspic or SABBlack and you will then graduate...trust me, you will be glad you did...
I'm a big YES, ELP, PF and JT fan and couldn't do much with the KC albums before, except the first one of course. When the KC boxes from 2009 were cheap to get, I listened to the multi-channel versions and THOSE appealed to me. So I got the multi-channel boxes from the first album to the USA album and am very happy with them.
I still prefer to listen to Relayer, BSS, DSOTM or TAAB, but in between KC is a good change. Whereby, the Asia and UK versions of the KC songs speak to me more.

I "think" I'm seeing both the "50th vinyl" and "40th 5.1 surround book" on Amazon-USA for $25 USD each. I've already got the 40th 5.1 surround, but my vinyl is really old and crackly (got it when it came out last century) so I'll be getting a new copy.

Its hard to miss. IIRC there is a skip in the first minute followed by another soon after. All kinds of phasing and mastering issues as well

Regarding the 40th Anniversary defects and replacement DVD, I have these two sentences written in my docs, copied from somewhere on the net:

""""""""""
Check the presence or absence of audio defects at 2:32, 2:48 and 3:03 of the composition "Part 1" track 5.1

The effect is as if the gluing of the tape has passed, literally a split second. What is interesting in dd is heard better than dts.
""""""""""

Thank you very much! I do have the defective disc and guess I’ll reach out for a replacement. Hopefully they will still honor the request!
I don't think anybody has recently gotten any replacements? Remember, this was in the last days of EMI.
Maybe Warner could be so nice as to produce a few surplus DVDs for those who never got around to replacing their defective ones...

So, the only Tull album I've ever owned is "Aqualung". I've probably heard a couple others through the years but can't say any of them ever grabbed me. Given that Aqualung is probably the most "classic rock" sounding and most accessible for mainstream rock fans (I assume), and that is the reason I like it, if you were going to recommend another JT album that would appeal to a mainstream rock fan, which would it be?

"Benefit" and "Thick As A Brick" ......are MUST OWN Tull's ......,that is , besides "Stand Up".

So, the only Tull album I've ever owned is "Aqualung". I've probably heard a couple others through the years but can't say any of them ever grabbed me. Given that Aqualung is probably the most "classic rock" sounding and most accessible for mainstream rock fans (I assume), and that is the reason I like it, if you were going to recommend another JT album that would appeal to a mainstream rock fan, which would it be?
I was in the same boat as you about a year or so ago, the ones that have appealed to me the most over that short period of time have been Songs from the Wood, Stormwatch, and A. The album A in particular has some really great singles on it like Crossfire and Working John, Working Joe that clicked with me immediately after writing the band off for years… These 5.1 Wilson mixes have probably had something to do with that as well.

That Aqualung cd and SW cd contain the DVD and bluray from 40th Anniversary box set.

And the reason I have so many is because of the bonus material in surround or quad or( both).
Plus you can't beat the price ,in comparison to most box sets. I've been a Tull fan for f**kin years.....ever since I first heard Stand Up ,then Benefit , and Aqualung.

Mind you I still hold out hope for an extended edition of "Living In The Past"!........(you know with additional bonus tracks in 5.1 4.0)
16560284970865620316467617470637.jpg
16560285234239074411849363963239.jpg

Mind you I still hold out hope for an extended edition of "Living In The Past"!........(you know with additional bonus tracks in 5.1 4.0)
Seems unlikely that there will be any reissue of Living In The Past. Every song on it is available as a bonus track on one or more of the Wilson remix anniversary editions, including in surround, except for the live cuts from Carnegie Hall, and those are in sorta-surround on the 3-disc "Collectors Edition" of Stand Up released in 2010. The handful of tracks that are in stereo-only on the anniversary editions, namely Witch's Promise, Dr Bogenbroom, From Later and Nursie, are because the multi-tracks were missing, so unless they've been found in the meantime, you're not gonna get those in surround anyway. Of course you never know, but I get the feeling that Ian Anderson isn't crazy about living in the past, both the album and the concept (of wallowing in past glories by re-releasing everything over and over).

Last edited:
Did the original "Thick" book release have additional material disks that aren't included in this rerelease or is this 2 disk version verbatim the original release?

I was just an absolute idiot on this one!

$35 a pop? Only DVDV release format? Nah. I'll borrow a friend's copy until the price drops or they make the "real" release on bluray.

Yeah...
So I don't have hard copies of my most favorite Tull albums - Thick as a Brick and Passion Play. It would have been SO easy to grab 3 or 4 copies of each one and now I'd have those hard copies and have mortgage covered for a year or 3. Pretty sure this makes me an absolute idiot this time around!

Back