How many of the Tull reissues do you own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything from Aqualung to A, never cared for the earlier ones and not sure how much longer I'll keep up. If I ever needed to clean house and sell stuff I'd probably just keep "Thick as a Brick" (I did get a corrected dvd) and "Songs from the Wood" as those are easily my favorites.

I have all of them except the new one “Zealot Gene”. One of my all time favorite bands.

4198CA11-0D50-470D-BEE8-64321BD239D9.jpeg
86CD5A6C-A6C0-4556-A518-2622049D3F36.jpeg
A2AD3A0A-CF2A-4051-91EA-EBABE9AF3F1E.jpeg
8B87ED37-F7BF-43A1-8144-2857D7387538.jpeg

Bought Heavy Horses on vinyl, sold it, bought it again, thinking maybe I hadn't given it a chance, sold that copy too, bought the box, thinking maybe it was one of those albums that miraculously gels in 5.1 (like Young Americans), still left me cold. Should have bought Songs From The Wood while it was cheap instead

I'm not a super-collector in general like some of you folks, but I really love classic-era Tull, so I have all 13 of the book-format releases (all open & enjoyed). Thick As A Brick has the corrected disc because I waited a few months to buy it after the initial release. I also have the 2011 large-format Aqualung with the Blu-ray (still works) and vinyl, and the original small-format Benefit.

Also have the TAAB2 (Anderson solo) surround release, if that counts. Skipped his Homo Erraticus altogether (any endorsements that might persuade me to change my mind?). Not really planning to buy The Zealot Gene, which I consider to be another Anderson solo project in all but name, unless it gets a lot less expensive... I've listened to it streaming in stereo and it's pleasant enough, but far from classic Tull. I look forward to the Broadsword book release, hoping it loses some of its 80s production edges, but that was the point where I really started losing my enthusiasm for Jethro, as much as I loved all the 70s stuff. I suppose I would buy the later book releases if Steven Wilson continues to mix them, but even then, do I really need Under Wraps?

To be honest, this kind of gets at a dilemma that I've been thinking a lot about lately. I have around 200 physical surround releases, plus a bunch that are digital only. I know it's a small collection relative to some of yours, but I've bought them selectively, meaning only getting items I really want to hear, not just for the sake of owning or investing in them. So what I already have is a load of riches that I don't have enough time to fully enjoy. There's things I haven't listened to in years, even though I really like them. I keep thinking that I should stop focusing on what I don't have, stop checking my Discogs want list and Amazon wish list, etc., and start looking through my collection more, and then... listening to them! Does this resonate with any of you, do you struggle to control the urge to keep buying more, and just enjoy what you have instead? For me it applies to a lot of things in my life really... the challenge to appreciate what's in hand, not yearn so much for what isn't. And it's not so much about the money involved (although that can really add up), it's more about stuff, and the procurement/management/maintenance/storage of said stuff, becoming as much a burden as a pleasure.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all philosophical and off-topic here, but I'd genuinely welcome hearing your thoughts on the joys and pitfalls of being a collector / consumer. I find the same thing happening for me with streaming, now that I have an Apple TV device: I keep adding surround albums to my Apple Music library as they come out, and while I've really enjoyed sitting and listening to some, mostly I sample a few tracks of the rest and move on, looking for more to add.

So what I already have is a load of riches that I don't have enough time to fully enjoy. There's things I haven't listened to in years, even though I really like them. I keep thinking that I should stop focusing on what I don't have, stop checking my Discogs want list and Amazon wish list, etc., and start looking through my collection more, and then... listening to them! Does this resonate with any of you, do you struggle to control the urge to keep buying more, and just enjoy what you have instead? For me it applies to a lot of things in my life really... the challenge to appreciate what's in hand, not yearn so much for what isn't. And it's not so much about the money involved (although that can really add up), it's more about stuff, and the procurement/management/maintenance/storage of said stuff, becoming as much a burden as a pleasure.
This^^^^^.

I am at a stage where I am trying to de-clutter my life too. Spend my time and money on the things that I will really enjoy, and make it a point to do so. I have many times aimlessly wandered through playing discs (or Apple Music) and after 3 or 4 songs, asking myself, why am I listening to this, when I would rather be listening to X, Y or Z? I am trying to make a point to stop buying music from artists I am not familiar with just because others have raved about it. So yes, your thoughts resonate with me.

That being said, I don't think I will ever sell off any of my collection - that only leads to regret later on.

I think a big oversight on my part is, not giving the extras a chance. Though, it's hard to really find the time to listen to all the extra stuff on these deluxe sets. I guess that's why I sort of look forward to retirement and maybe I can revisit all these amazing sets and dig into the booklets, and extra tracks, etc.
IMO the best extras are found on the Aqualung set. I love the long version of Wondering Aloud. It should have been included on the album.

A lot of the videos are worthy as well. The Too Old To R&R and the Hare Who Lost his Spectacles on Passion Play are priceless.

I'm not a super-collector in general like some of you folks, but I really love classic-era Tull, so I have all 13 of the book-format releases (all open & enjoyed). Thick As A Brick has the corrected disc because I waited a few months to buy it after the initial release. I also have the 2011 large-format Aqualung with the Blu-ray (still works) and vinyl, and the original small-format Benefit.

Also have the TAAB2 (Anderson solo) surround release, if that counts. Skipped his Homo Erraticus altogether (any endorsements that might persuade me to change my mind?). Not really planning to buy The Zealot Gene, which I consider to be another Anderson solo project in all but name, unless it gets a lot less expensive... I've listened to it streaming in stereo and it's pleasant enough, but far from classic Tull. I look forward to the Broadsword book release, hoping it loses some of its 80s production edges, but that was the point where I really started losing my enthusiasm for Jethro, as much as I loved all the 70s stuff. I suppose I would buy the later book releases if Steven Wilson continues to mix them, but even then, do I really need Under Wraps?

To be honest, this kind of gets at a dilemma that I've been thinking a lot about lately. I have around 200 physical surround releases, plus a bunch that are digital only. I know it's a small collection relative to some of yours, but I've bought them selectively, meaning only getting items I really want to hear, not just for the sake of owning or investing in them. So what I already have is a load of riches that I don't have enough time to fully enjoy. There's things I haven't listened to in years, even though I really like them. I keep thinking that I should stop focusing on what I don't have, stop checking my Discogs want list and Amazon wish list, etc., and start looking through my collection more, and then... listening to them! Does this resonate with any of you, do you struggle to control the urge to keep buying more, and just enjoy what you have instead? For me it applies to a lot of things in my life really... the challenge to appreciate what's in hand, not yearn so much for what isn't. And it's not so much about the money involved (although that can really add up), it's more about stuff, and the procurement/management/maintenance/storage of said stuff, becoming as much a burden as a pleasure.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all philosophical and off-topic here, but I'd genuinely welcome hearing your thoughts on the joys and pitfalls of being a collector / consumer. I find the same thing happening for me with streaming, now that I have an Apple TV device: I keep adding surround albums to my Apple Music library as they come out, and while I've really enjoyed sitting and listening to some, mostly I sample a few tracks of the rest and move on, looking for more to add.
Agree 100% but, whether a lot of us want to admit it or not, collecting music as much an addiction as it is a hobby. I often think that I could get rid of most of my collection and keep a core 500 albums that I really love and be just as happy. I have albums that I've barely listened to and probably will never listen to again. I have duplicates of albums. I could get rid of 2000 discs and probably never miss them.
On the positive side, as addictions go, there are a lot worse addictions.

(1968) This Was (4.1) (2018)​
(1969) Stand Up Elevated Edition (5.1) (2016)​
(1970) Benefit (5.1) (2013)​
(1971) Aqualung D1 (5.1) (2016)​
(1971) Aqualung D2 (5.1) (2016)​
(1972a) Thick As A Brick (5.1) (2012)​
(1973) A Passion Play D1 (5.1) (2014)​
(1973) A Passion Play D2 The Chateau Sessions (5.1) (2014)​
(1974) War Child D1 (5.1) (2014)​
(1974) War Child D2 Second Act (5.1) (2014)​
(1975) Minstrel In The Gallery D1 (5.1) (2015)​
(1975) Minstrel In The Gallery D2 – Live At The Palais (5.1) (2015)​
(1976) Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll D1 (5.1) (2015)​
(1976) Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll D2 (5.1) (2015)​
(1977) Songs From The Wood D1 (5.1) (2017)​
(1977) Songs From The Wood D2 (5.1) (2017)​
(1978) Heavy Horses D1 (5.1) (2018)​
(1978) Heavy Horses D2 (5.1) (2018)​

Agree 100% but, whether a lot of us want to admit it or not, collecting music as much an addiction as it is a hobby. I often think that I could get rid of most of my collection and keep a core 500 albums that I really love and be just as happy. I have albums that I've barely listened to and probably will never listen to again. I have duplicates of albums. I could get rid of 2000 discs and probably never miss them.
On the positive side, as addictions go, there are a lot worse addictions.
I discovered Jethro Tull when Too Old came out. And lost interest after Broad Sword, but still going to add it, hopefully in July ! Saw them a number of times at the Spectrum in PHL. I missed on Passion play and never could listen to it and would only add it because of the Chateau sessions, which I've never heard. Turns out Too Old falls on the weaker side of the lot, but will have to pick it up to get close to 100%. As far as the hobby, I too have a growing list of unopened titles, but as I listen in my semi-heated garage, I need about 60 degrees before I will fire up my speakers. So, anxiously awaiting spring in New Jersey. Also, someone told me once to "Practice being satisfied", which, for me, does require work.

FWIW, I relate to this strongly... I used to say "nothing gives me a bigger existential crisis than the number at the bottom of my digital music collection showing me how long it'd take to listen to it all... even one time, let alone going back to things that move me..." And it can take a serious mind-shift to finally admit that you simply never will. Same as walking into a library and seeing all of those books... couldn't consume them all in multiple lifetimes even if you read constantly... and while that's initially a bummer, it's also kind of freeing, to then go "right, then where will I focus?" To be intentional about those decisions.

I recently read a book that I thought would seriously bum me out but really helped me deal with balancing out my collector/completist nature with reality and better usage of time/money/headspace—it's called "4,000 Weeks" (Amazon.com: Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals: 9780374159122: Burkeman, Oliver: Books), which is, insultingly, how many weeks you're on this planet if you live to be 80. My dad, who had such a monumental impact on me and those close to him, had 2,600. I'm at 2,429. How do you spend them?

The whole book is about embracing the fact that especially today, with the limitless amount of content you could be consuming, or unique experiences you could be having, at any given moment—you will actually miss out on pretty much everything. And that's actually freeing, because there's no point then in trying to consume or experience it all, it's impossible. There's a ton of stuff out there that we would LOVE that we'll never experience. That's being human, and it simply is what it is. So, when you make a choice to then listen to this or watch that or spend time with these people, it can be really powerful, affirming and poignant.

In high school I was the kid who "knew all the songs and bands". That was far from true of course, but I prided myself on that reputation and tried to listen to everything I could. I still have that hunger and always get a kick out of checking out something new... but as others have said, 1) If I'm a few songs in to something and I'm like "yeah, I get what they're doing here and I'm glad I experienced this but this isn't for me", I don't tough it out to the end like I used to, I feel fine with pulling the plug—at the end of the day there's no trophy and nobody cares. I also feel fine being glad I experienced something new but deciding I won't go back to it again. And therefore, making a conscious decision to not need it on my shelf. 2) Conversely, even though I've spent probably 100 or more precious hours listening to an album that is core to my DNA, I don't feel guilt for reaching for it once again when I could be listening to something else, because it makes me feel good and is simply what I'm feeling like in this moment. So hey, sure I know Aqualung like the back of my hand and it's the Tull album I've spent more time with than any other. I know how blasting Cross-Eyed Mary is gonna make me feel, and right now it's what the doctor ordered... put it on!

I have them all except for ‘A’ including the fixed version of Thick. All opened except for the new version of Benefit (not sure why) and I have the 20th anniversary box set from 1988. My favourite is still A Passion Play.

I am enjoying the sidebars here, thanks GOS.
Like many, I have them all but TAAB; Zealot Gene should be here today.
I have purged my music collection at a few points in time, usually repurchasing a small subset of what I let go. There is always some regret.
I have been able to reduce my obsessive purchase of every release by bands I follow so am slightly more selective these days; ImportCDs and Amazon may disagree.

I only buy stuff I want to and will listen to, so if it's not to my liking, I'll pass. That's why I only have three Jethro Tull (also three King Crimson out of the lot that were released). I have 87 surround releases and not much more I would like. My Discogs says I have around 280 albums (add to that the vinyl collection my father gave me because he doesn't listen to them anymore). Right, now in the process of thinking about which albums I could sell/give away to friends because I don't listen to them and because I don't like them.

Back