How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.1 is a movie format and I also can't think of any music discs (blu-ray), or downloads, that are 7.1. My guess is the OP did not understand that 7.1 and Atmos are different and that flac and Atoms isn't compatible.
Try 2L recordings for 7.1 music or, even simpler, the new Abbey Road.

Try 2L recordings for 7.1 music or, even simpler, the new Abbey Road.

The new Abbey Road is Atmos and the 7.1 is the container as you probably already know.
What do you think of the Abbey Road mix. I know you are more of a Classical music fan but I am curious if you liked the mix?

I should have known that 2L had 7.1 mixes. I have heard them mentioned. I personally have never gone beyond 5.1, although I do have plenty of amps and speakers hidden away to do so.

The new Abbey Road is Atmos and the 7.1 is the container as you probably already know.
Yes but it will play as 7.1 if you do not have/use an Atmos-capable device.

What do you think of the Abbey Road mix. I know you are more of a Classical music fan but I am curious if you liked the mix?
My comments were in the December 2019 issue on Page 140.

Yes but it will play as 7.1 if you do not have/use an Atmos-capable device.

My comments were in the December 2019 issue on Page 140.

Congratulations on 100 Music in the Round! Always enjoyed the great reviews. I will look for your review of AR. Thanks.

For beginners listen to mc flac files, I've made a short FAQ to help at start up:
About - Surround Music
I'm a PC guy, but know Mac computers also can play mc flac; Can any of you tell me what is needed to play mc flac from a Mac?
Else other recommendations important to tell people having problems listen to mc flac?

For beginners listen to mc flac files, I've made a short FAQ to help at start up:
About - Surround Music
I'm a PC guy, but know Mac computers also can play mc flac; Can any of you tell me what is needed to play mc flac from a Mac?
Else other recommendations important to tell people having problems listen to mc flac?
Any of the major media player apps for Windows are available for Mac. There would be a few Mac only choices on top of that. And you can run native Windows apps directly in OSX if some stray 3rd party thing only written for Windows comes along that you like. There's less of the Mac-only thing in audio nowadays in general though. Honestly, I prefer the free light weight simpleton apps like Songbird or Vox. There's just no reason to make this complex or write bloated paid apps. Stuff like reinventing the Finder window to browse your hard drive for music within the app. When you can just browse your hard drives like you already know how to do with the Finder and simply drag/drop into a media player window. (That would be the Explorer in Windows.)

Connecting to HDMI surround receivers and USB, firewire, or thunderbolt audio interfaces is usually much more bulletproof on the Mac. OSX Core Audio is very solid. Most of the USB interfaces and HDMI receivers don't need a special driver install in OSX either. And they tend to work with any OSX version at least back to 10.6 (for any stubborn holdouts out there).

There was some rivalry weirdness with iTunes and FLAC which is probably what you heard about. Apple wanted to make their own version of a lossless format. They made ALAC (Apple lossless) and proceeded to stubbornly keep FLAC codecs out of iTunes to force competition. But they kicked the ball away and never followed through selling ALAC in the iTunes store so iTunes turned into this obsolete joke. So that's not a good look and their stock media player is DOA with that. But literally everything else is happiness and light and just works.

XLD (X Lossless Decoder) is a convenient free format conversion app no matter what OS you prefer. All the lossless formats back and forth. The usual lossy suspects as well. And decimation transcoding of DSD to PCM.

My Sony RX Str- DN-1080 has a USB port . I plug in a HDD with Flac 5.1 / Quad / 5.0 etc and it plays in conjunction with the Sony media player Gui on my Ipad which basically allow me to choose settings on the fly for speaker levels etc. So much easier than using a Bluray/DVD player. I am currently converting all my discs to flac . The ones I like that is.

How doesn't it work?
A BDP-S3700 for around 100 euros seems cheap! I like when it's gets easy to listen to mc music!
My receiver predates HDMI. I connect the coaxial digital output of the player to the receiver, the HDMI direct to the TV. When I play a flac file through the player, the receiver handles it as stereo. No surround other than matrixed. I won't change the receiver because the newer ones lack the MC analog inputs for my Surround Master. So there it is.

My OPPO BDP-95 plays flac files off USB drives, but I never had a multi-channel flac file to try. Nothing else in my universe of audio will even play flacs. I would love to try a multi.

Back