How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Yes, from my NAS via JRMC or Roon through multichannel DAC.
2. Why bother when I can play the files themselves?
3. I play all multichannel (FLAC, WAV, DSD) from files.

() Why not make your desires known? What have you got to lose?
Ok, here goes. For some reason I have a brain disconnect when it comes to making an advance into a complete file, download, ripped, system. I envy people on this site that listen to all there music from a laptop that goes into there main rig. I have an up to date DAC that I am not using to its full capacity. I have stereo FLAC through my Bluesound Vault but all my mch discs are via my player, which is cool and sounds great but having a ripped, SACD, DVD-A, BD-A, etc, collection played via one source would be ultimately cool. This is my desire, let it be known. Maybe I can hire somebody to go into the new horizon? In the SF Bay Area.

Ok, here goes. For some reason I have a brain disconnect when it comes to making an advance into a complete file, download, ripped, system. I envy people on this site that listen to all there music from a laptop that goes into there main rig. I have an up to date DAC that I am not using to its full capacity. I have stereo FLAC through my Bluesound Vault but all my mch discs are via my player, which is cool and sounds great but having a ripped, SACD, DVD-A, BD-A, etc, collection played via one source would be ultimately cool. This is my desire, let it be known. Maybe I can hire somebody to go into the new horizon? In the SF Bay Area.

Basically, you need
1. a computer with some decent processing power and a good music server program.
2. a suitable DAC. For multichannel capability including DSD, the least costly one is an Oppo player!
3. proper storage for your files. This can, initially, be on or directly attached to the computer but really should be on a NAS.

There are many options and variables but this would be a good start.

Basically, you need
1. a computer with some decent processing power and a good music server program.
2. a suitable DAC. For multichannel capability including DSD, the least costly one is an Oppo player!
3. proper storage for your files. This can, initially, be on or directly attached to the computer but really should be on a NAS.

There are many options and variables but this would be a good start.
Thanks Kal, I believe I have all that, my external DAC, McIntosh D150 is stellar but it still all freaks me out when I see everybody with there JRiver posts with cool skins and digital readouts, overwhelms me.
Brian got me to take a baby step with DSD download which I did but I am still going back and forth, connectors, etc. I need it to be perfect. Maybe San Mateo college can offer a course?

I cannot play MC flac. My Oppo BDP-83 cannot play flac and the squeezebox can play flac but not multichannel.
So physical MC discs for me.

vinylguy4

Hi folks!

Anyone in here who have an idea how many who can
1) play multichannel flac files directly
2) turn mc flac into discs
3) only listen to surround sound from DVD/BD/SACD/Q8 etc.?

Question is can we tell bands to sell they mc music as digital download from their own website or eg. Bandcamp or too few with surround gear CAN play mc flac.

Maybe this could be a poll? (if I knew how)

1) I stream MC Flac over WiFi from (2) 3TB external drives attached to my main PC via TwonkyVision (server) to my Oppo 103. I use Foobar 2000 when I'm at my PC mainly for monitoring conversions.
2. I use Cirlinca HD to convert flac to DVD A or BD A - albeit with some limiting caveats due to non MLP capability. I use Audiomuxer to convert to DTS DVD discs for my car surround system (Sony MEX 2200 - plays SACD, DTS & Dolby).
3. I listen to Flac 99% at home - every now and then I'll pop a disc in if there are interesting live performances, videos, bonus features and menus.

What software are you using for making DVD-A/BD-A?
I can only use Audiomuxer to make AVCHD DVD to be played on Bluray-players.

I'm close to starting up a homepage to sell bands MC music (eg. from Bandcamp. Bandcamp will not tell me when they will open up for MC files, so I think I've to do that).
It is cheap to sell DVD/BD via Mastercard/Visa for shipping, but that will take some work and shipping expensives.
Selling digital downloads directly to people will cost me around 700 euro/$ to start up, so I would like to find out how many who can take digital downloads only.
Love this initiative! Sites like nativedsd have multichannel download, but mostly in clasical genre. A legit multichannel download site for pop, prog, electronic etc would be great.

Now that the 103 and 105 are considered old, I am about to buy a used one for the HDMI in and analog MC output from music server. I could not swing a new one last year, but was planning on getting one.

Do you think I need to be concerned with the Darbee Visual Presence feature, the D on the model number? Or just find a low mileage player and get on with it?

Thanks Kal, I believe I have all that, my external DAC, McIntosh D150 is stellar but it still all freaks me out when I see everybody with there JRiver posts with cool skins and digital readouts, overwhelms me.
Brian got me to take a baby step with DSD download which I did but I am still going back and forth, connectors, etc. I need it to be perfect. Maybe San Mateo college can offer a course?

Try reading Homer's excellent posts on getting this accomplished. HERE

Its really not that difficult. I mean, I did it. How hard can it be?:ugham:

Last edited:
I can play flac directly through the oppo with an attached hard drive, but I burn everything to dvda for portable play and easy sharing. I use audiomuxer to join files, audiomuxer to create monowavs, mlp surcode to encode to mlp, discwelder to create and burn. As I do most of my listening in my car. The whole conversion takes under an hour usually.

A bit O/T but: I got mine with Darbee, but to be honest I could do without it.

I don't have an Oppo - but I have a Darbee Dablet - initially to use with movies on my 106" screen. But using it, I found out that it gives the best performance with cable-tv and gaming: Playstation/Nintendo/xbox on my 42" tv. And I like it a lot - it's great!!! The remote sucks though... :banana:

I do flac play via laptop-vlc-hdmi-yamaha. Have not ventured into disc burning yet, need to study the recipes and get into the lab on that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just started my new venture in FLAC 5.1 this week!

ANSWER: I converted quite a few of my DVD-A discs into FLAC (5.1 lossless) files using DVD Audio Extractor on my Mac. I have the files on an external hard drive connected to my Mac, and by using the PLEX Server app, i am able to access the files on an XBOX ONE using the PLEX app on the XBOX over my LAN. I used an app called "Tag" to add all the metadata info to each file, and each artist and album is set under their own folder on the drive. PLEX allows "Playlists" to be setup so it's easy to play only your favorite 5.1 songs versus an entire album.

ANSWER: Still trying to figure out what Mac app will allow me to burn either a FLAC or WAV 5.1 file to a DVD-Audio disc that will play in my car in 5.1. Like days of making a "mix tape," I'd like to have a Dual-Layer DVD-Audio disc of my Top 20 5.1 songs that will play in my DVD-A player in my car.

Until I extracted DVD-A discs to 5.1FLAC and played them using PLEX on the XBOX, I was only listening to DVD-Audio discs in my car (Acura ELS).

I play both flac and DSD audio (be it 2ch or multi) by way of a Linux based music server. Audio files are stored on a NAS.

Never! All discs are ripped (including SACD) to the server and the disc never sees the light of day again. Hopefully.

Never! See 2, above.

Thanks a lot for all your input!
24 answers until now says:
Flac.jpg
92% can listen to multichannel flac in here.

This can be used as an argument telling bands who can't afford to produce DVD/Blu-Ray's to sell their music as digital downloads! And I will use that!;)

In case you still want answers:

1) I can and do listen to multichannel flac; I rip physical media using my computer, and store the resulting flac files on a NAS. I stream the files to my AVR via a small, fanless PC connected to my LAN via ethernet, and to my AVR via HDMI.
2) I know how to make physical media from MC flac files, but don't do it, as I have no reason to.
3) I never listen to audio (multichannel or stereo) from physical media.

Great idea for a thread - very useful information, if it gets enough replies!

My entire music library (stereo and multi channel) is ripped to FLAC. (The only exception is SACD multi channel, mainly because I haven't got around to doing them yet.)

I store them on a Synology NAS drive, catalogue them using Media Monkey and play multi channel to my Oppo and Cambridge Audio players just using their file browser menu.

Stereo is streamed to my Yamaha AV amp which can play in two rooms via it's multi-zone capability, my PC when I'm in my study, wirelessly to various devices in other rooms/garden or synched to portable player via Media Monkey for when I'm out and about.

I can create physical from FLAC when necessary, which is very very rare!

Although I still buy mostly physical I hardly ever play from physical media these days.

Back