How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) I can play FLACS (Oppo 103)
2) No disc-burning capabilities
3) I play both physical discs and FLACS (although no ripping capabilities)

Do the Oppo 105 and 205 suffer the same issue as the Oppo 95 playing FLAC files (multi channel or stereo). The 95 puts a small gap of silence between each track it plays, so if you rip something like a Pink Floyd album as one file per track it will sound awful on the track changes. The only way to get a playable result is one file for the entire album.

Do the Oppo 105 and 205 suffer the same issue as the Oppo 95 playing FLAC files (multi channel or stereo). The 95 puts a small gap of silence between each track it plays, so if you rip something like a Pink Floyd album as one file per track it will sound awful on the track changes. The only way to get a playable result is one file for the entire album.

Yes they support gapless playback.

Frankly, I do not know but I doubt it. I am thinking that it would need some sort of input and the cheaper ones probably do not have any.
My Mcintosh MVP891 universal player won't read the SACD layer anymore, all other discs are fine.
I have the OPPO 105 for ripping SACD but was thinking of adding another Universal blu ray SACD, etc player with 4K, any suggestions Kal?
I figure they will probably charge me about as much as a new Universal player to fix the McIntosh.

sorry I meant WILL any blu ray player play 7.1 flac.

If they play multichannel flac then 7.1 shouldn't be a problem. Not many do multichannel flac, that is why the Oppo players are popular.

If they play multichannel flac then 7.1 shouldn't be a problem. Not many do multichannel flac, that is why the Oppo players are popular.

That is not my experience. I have set up systems for two relatives and both a cheaper Sony and a cheaper Pioneer would play MC FLAC from a thumb drive in the front USB ports. I cant vouch for 7.1 because I only tried 5.1, and the tracks would would not play gapless.

The thing that puzzles me is, except for Atmos encoded material (in which case a conversion to FLAC would remove the Atmos metadata), I've never seen a 7.1 commercial music release. So what would you need 7.1 FLAC playback for?

That is not my experience. I have set up systems for two relatives and both a cheaper Sony and a cheaper Pioneer would play MC FLAC from a thumb drive in the front USB ports. I cant vouch for 7.1 because I only tried 5.1, and the tracks would would not play gapless.

The thing that puzzles me is, except for Atmos encoded material (in which case a conversion to FLAC would remove the Atmos metadata), I've never seen a 7.1 commercial music release. So what would you need 7.1 FLAC playback for?

Not sure what was different from my experience but if you take every single blu-ray player and put a percentage on which ones play multichannel flac, the percentage would be very small.

In the last 5 or 10 years more have added the option, but most since the beginning only do stereo if they do flac at all.

7.1 is a movie format and I also can't think of any music discs (blu-ray), or downloads, that are 7.1. My guess is the OP did not understand that 7.1 and Atmos are different and that flac and Atoms isn't compatible.

I have a Sony UBPx700 that will play FLAC 5.1 thru a usb. Will not play ISO or DSD. Not sure if it will play 5.1 thru stream or HDMI. I have JRiver set up on my PC in the spare room just not sure how to set it up. I also have an Onyko nr656.

There are some excellent 7.1 releases out there; Joe Satriani, Lichtmond, Keith Emerson live etc, plus i have been mixing in 7.0 myself.

Not sure what was different from my experience but if you take every single blu-ray player and put a percentage on which ones play multichannel flac, the percentage would be very small.

In the last 5 or 10 years more have added the option, but most since the beginning only do stereo if they do flac at all.

7.1 is a movie format and I also can't think of any music discs (blu-ray), or downloads, that are 7.1. My guess is the OP did not understand that 7.1 and Atmos are different and that flac and Atoms isn't compatible.

That all makes sense. Let me qualify a bit more about what i said. I'd be interested in others experience with it as well.

Like i said, I've set up two separate systems for relatives in the last18 months. I also had a hand in choosing all the equipment for them. Both systems were modestly priced, and both were comprised of components that were current production models, but some were near the end of their run, and they were discounted accordingly.

For each system I chose an AVR and a disk player. One setup used Denon AVR/Sony BRP, the other setup was all Pioneer. Both system used Polk speakers and sub. Most of it was purchased on line. When I did the research i was surprised how difficult it was to get technical info on the equipment's general capabilities. I truly got more answers from reading on-line reviews and the replies to questions than I did from a copy of the owners manuals. As a result i got familiar with a lot of the entry level stuff out there from the usual suspects. My comments are limited to that tier of equipment.

What I came away with was this: Nearly all the entry-level AVRs and BR players now include a USB port. As himey noted, not all will play FLAC. If they do, it is usually listed so in the owners manual and the promo sheets. But they never seem to mention if it will play multichannel FLAC. This was something that was essential to the recipients.

What I found after firing off a few emails to manufacturers and reading more on-line reviews seemed odd to me. It seemed all the disk players I looked into did indeed process FLAC. All but 1 would not do MC. None would play gapless.

None of the AVR's would play MC FLAC ,,, not one. A couple didn't do FLAC through the USB port at all. I believe they all would play MC FLAC via HDMI however.

Why include the USB functionality in the disc players but not the AVRs? It makes more sense to me the other way around. It cant be a price thing.... the players were less than half the cost of the AVRs. And is there something difficult about implementing gapless playback?

It all ended well. Each system cost about $600-$700 and they love em. I was impressed how much connectivity you can get in a cheap AVR as well.

Back