How often is stuff reprinted?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got an STR-DH740, which I guess is a little too old for Atmos (but still sounds great to me). It looks like the Apple TV thing is the way to go-I can get one for the same price as a couple of the 5.1 discs I’m after, and I can just cross my fingers those mixes will show up on Apple Music!
Welcome to the forum and the world of immersive audio! When you get the AppleTV 4k box and subscribe to Apple Music, have a look at this page where I organized many of the albums I found on Apple Music in both Dolby Audio (Quad and 5.1) + Dolby Atmos. Immersive Streaming | Added - Hi-Res Edition

Also, I want to put in a plug for Blu-ray and DVD-A/DVD-V's which have plenty of surround and now Atmos mixes on the BD's. These also get reissued, and some of the older surround SACD's have been reissued in either of these hi-res immersive formats too. There is plenty of music to collect that will keep your ears happy for a long time! Enjoy.

Oh, and also some of the OOP items are cropping up on download sites, the most well known is Shop | IAA These tend to be more recent releases, not classic albums.

I'm new to the surround scene, but I love it. What I don't love are the prices on the secondhand market! For those of you who have been around for a while, how often do recordings come back in print? I'm thinking specificially of SACDs--the Steely Dan catalog, Avalon...do I have a prayer of these coming back into stock?
Quick answer..VERY RARELY do they get repressed...I joined the MCH game quite late (2006-2007) and still had to pay a LOT for a bunch of OOP stuff...

BTW, welcome to the club and don't be a stranger!

Yep! In fact, even the Dolby Atmos mixed stuff is backwards compatible with 5.1 and 7.1. Dolby Atmos files are just typical TrueHD or eac3 files with Dolby Atmos metadata attached. All of these files have a "core" stream with either a 5.1 downmix (in the case of eac3) or a 7.1 downmix (in the case of TrueHD). Older recievers/decoders that aren't compatible with Atmos will just ignore the Dolby Atmos metadata and will play the core stream.
Hi folks. I rarely post on the forum but appreciate all who do! On the topic of Spatial audio/Atmos via Apple music; when it first came out, I was like a kid in a candy store. In particular found a couple tracks that I had on SACD/Quad and really enjoyed the Atmos addition to it. However, I can't find the tracks now- only in stereo. This seems to happen on a regular basis, stuff comes out then I can't find it. Any ideas? Two tracks in particular are 'The Story in Your Eyes' by the Moody Blues, and 'Can't Keep it in' by Cat Stevens.

Welcome to the forum and the world of immersive audio! When you get the AppleTV 4k box and subscribe to Apple Music, have a look at this page where I organized many of the albums I found on Apple Music in both Dolby Audio (Quad and 5.1) + Dolby Atmos. Immersive Streaming | Added - Hi-Res Edition

Also, I want to put in a plug for Blu-ray and DVD-A/DVD-V's which have plenty of surround and now Atmos mixes on the BD's. These also get reissued, and some of the older surround SACD's have been reissued in either of these hi-res immersive formats too. There is plenty of music to collect that will keep your ears happy for a long time! Enjoy.

Oh, and also some of the OOP items are cropping up on download sites, the most well known is Shop | IAA These tend to be more recent releases, not classic albums.
Thanks for the links! There's certainly an ocean of content out there.

Hi folks. I rarely post on the forum but appreciate all who do! On the topic of Spatial audio/Atmos via Apple music; when it first came out, I was like a kid in a candy store. In particular found a couple tracks that I had on SACD/Quad and really enjoyed the Atmos addition to it. However, I can't find the tracks now- only in stereo. This seems to happen on a regular basis, stuff comes out then I can't find it. Any ideas? Two tracks in particular are 'The Story in Your Eyes' by the Moody Blues, and 'Can't Keep it in' by Cat Stevens.
I totally understand what you're saying. It's really frustrating when things seem to get removed from apple music. Specifically while I know it might not be of interest to many here, the Rosalia album "Motomami" was something I always wanted to hear in all it's Dolby Atmos glory, but right when I got my 5.1 system setup again it just got removed from apple music.

Back