How to Connect an Old Analog Quad 8-Track Player to a Newer Amplifier

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGilmore

I have an old Quad 8-Track Player that is currently hooked up to my 15-year old amplifier which has multiple analog inputs on the back panel. So it is easy to listen to my old quad tapes.

But ...

one of these days -when the old amplifier bites the dust - I will be forced to purchase a new amplifier and the newer models tend to have very few analog input jacks. (Of course, the HDMI inputs are plentiful !)

I do have a 4-channel Behringer audio interface with a USB output. So perhaps I could use that USB output to connect to a new amplifier when the time comes. I'm assuming that a new amplifier would have a USB input jack and that the amplifier would then be able to maintain the separation of the 4 channels of sound.

Any comments or suggestions? Has anyone else faced difficulties playing old quad media after purchasing a new amp?

I have an old Quad 8-Track Player that is currently hooked up to my 15-year old amplifier which has multiple analog inputs on the back panel. So it is easy to listen to my old quad tapes.

But ...

one of these days -when the old amplifier bites the dust - I will be forced to purchase a new amplifier and the newer models tend to have very few analog input jacks. (Of course, the HDMI inputs are plentiful !)

I do have a 4-channel Behringer audio interface with a USB output. So perhaps I could use that USB output to connect to a new amplifier when the time comes. I'm assuming that a new amplifier would have a USB input jack and that the amplifier would then be able to maintain the separation of the 4 channels of sound.

Any comments or suggestions? Has anyone else faced difficulties playing old quad media after purchasing a new amp?
Oddly, while many newer AVRs have USB inputs, they typically will only play stereo tracks. Newer blue ray players also have USB inputs, and they often will play MCH files. This is all dependent on brand and model.

It is very common for newer gear to be incapable of playing 4.0 (quad) over HDMI but will play 5.0/5.1. I dont know how this limitation will affect playback over USB.

Lastly, i have no idea what format your Behringer interface outputs. I assume its an LPCM stream of some kind. Many components are picky about what formats they will accept via USB, and im not sure where streaming fits in.

Hopefully there is someone on the board here that has a similar issue and can provide more help and guidance.

But ...

The likelihood of being able to connect a USB audio interface to an AVR USB input is very low. The AVR USB input will be intended to connect hard drives and expect media files at the root level. You need a computer and operating system to let you connect to an audio interface and run it.

You might want to consider going straight to a separate modular style system for the next move. Computer -> audio interface -> amps and speakers. You could run analog devices live with a computer and audio interface and then digital into an AVR. But the AVR is a bit redundant now (and much too expensive of a redundancy to be reasonable!) I'd make the decision based on the equipment I already had. Take inventory and plan upgrades and forward moves for best bang for the buck and least PITA. Note that the computer -> audio interface -> amps and speakers model would let you connect old analog devices to your audio interface inputs and run them live if you wish. This path could actually lead to the easiest way of doing that.

Back