How to: Convert Blu-ray Discs for Audio File Playback (Atmos supported)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked for any video stream that I could select, but none of them had a checkbox next to them. See screenshot below. I am guessing that there is a setting somewhere that is excluding them for some reason? I tried checking the .jpg attachment a couple of times, but that did not get me anything.

1660830620004.png

Just tried two more BD, one an immersive music disc by the label 2L that others have told me they can reliably rip video from, and the other one was a movie. They both looked just like the one that the screenshot above: no checkbox next to any video stream in all of the branches.

I am using MakeMKV on a Mac, but I have a Win10 computer available that I can also try if necessary.

Forget that last post. Select the video track in the lower section which shows all the streams.

Apologies. I’m thinking of MKVToolNix (free). I shows all the stream details and allows you to select streams to mux into a new MKV file. Early morning here…

Thanks for the guide! Previous to embracing streaming a few years ago, I spent a bit of time ripping all types of discs I could for use with a pc running xbmc/Kodi. I had hoped to never go back, but with Apple Music Atmos content coming and going it was time to figure out how to add Atmos content to Kodi. Your guide and my previous experience made it easy on a Windows pc. Now the impossible question (judging by my google searches) does anyone have any ideas about getting milkdrop 2 to work with Atmos/m4a files on Kodi?

When ripping a 5.1 stream from a blu-ray, is it better to rip DTS-HD MA or LPCM as shown here:

1680816373168.png

I will be converting the MKV to FLAC files.

I pose this question to the resident experts: I am curious as to why there are usually two Stereo PCM subdirectories on many BluRays.
:)
Good question! I don't claim to be a expert but I highly suspect it has more to
do with the licensing contracts made with DTS, Dolby, and all the rest.
A question I believe only the corporate lawyers could answer, if at all.

I pose this question to the resident experts: I am curious as to why there are usually two Stereo PCM subdirectories on many BluRays.
:)

In this album the first Stereo PCM track has a sampling rate of 48.0 kHz, and the second one has 192 kHz. Both at 24 bit.

It could be included both for compatibility reasons. Some Players could not reproduce HiRes 24 bits 192 kHz (I guess) and then you have available the stereo version at 48.0 kHz

In this album the first Stereo PCM track has a sampling rate of 48.0 kHz, and the second one has 192 kHz. Both at 24 bit.

It could be included both for compatibility reasons. Some Players could not reproduce HiRes 24 bits 192 kHz (I guess) and then you have available the stereo version at 48.0 kHz
Yep, that's it! If I had only looked at the title page first, I would answered my own question!

When ripping a 5.1 stream from a blu-ray, is it better to rip DTS-HD MA or LPCM as shown here:

View attachment 90316

Another good question.
My experience:
When I first started ripping Blu Rays/DVD's, well any disc about 10 years ago, I would rip both for archival purposes, all the versions of sound and listening, to see if I could hear a difference.
This of course takes tons of time, and really boring especially if you are not fond of the music.
What I do now, always, is I only rip the DTS-HD Mstr for 5.1 surround and TRU HD for Atmos.
Reason is for me, I think the DTS HD Mstr 5.1 sounds a little more fuller and a better low end (bass) experience. Of course the Tru HD-Atmos, you get what you get.
What I have read on QQ is this also is the norm for most on QQ.
That said, every once in awhile a QQ member will express how they much prefer the LPCM or even the DTS, which is all a huge crap shoot.
I greatly respect others opinions and if it is a real good album I might go back and listen as they suggest, but that is very rare.
Our ears, our mind set at time of listening our rigs, everything is different for all of us.

View attachment 90316

I think the quality of both are practically equal.

The differences in the perceived sound could be due to differences in processing by the particular processor AVR.

In my case, the Denon AVR 'plays' the DTS 'copying' the content of Surrounds to the surrounds back channels, in a 7.1 system. This is a known DTS feature.
But with the LPCM 5.1 I get sound only in the 5.1 speakers.

So I have a spatial difference, beeing the surrounds imaged more rear with DTS than with LPCM.

BUT if you are going to convert finally to FLAC 5.1 files, you will listen the way your processor process the FLAC files. I think you will not notice any difference either ripping from DTS or from LPCM.
In any case, you could test and compare with some content that you are familiar with.

Another good question.
My experience:
When I first started ripping Blu Rays/DVD's, well any disc about 10 years ago, I would rip both for archival purposes, all the versions of sound and listening, to see if I could hear a difference.
This of course takes tons of time, and really boring especially if you are not fond of the music.
What I do now, always, is I only rip the DTS-HD Mstr for 5.1 surround and TRU HD for Atmos.
Reason is for me, I think the DTS HD Mstr 5.1 sounds a little more fuller and a better low end (bass) experience. Of course the Tru HD-Atmos, you get what you get.
What I have read on QQ is this also is the norm for most on QQ.
That said, every once in awhile a QQ member will express how they much prefer the LPCM or even the DTS, which is all a huge crap shoot.
I greatly respect others opinions and if it is a real good album I might go back and listen as they suggest, but that is very rare.
Our ears, our mind set at time of listening our rigs, everything is different for all of us.
I don't know why anyone would prefer the lossy DTS surround track, but different strokes, I guess. And even though I recently retired, I'm not sure I have the time or patience to rip and compare the DTS-HD MA track to the PCM track. I have to admit I don't understand the differences between the two tracks and whether those differences carry over to conversions to FLAC files. I also have to admit that, in other contexts, other things being equal, I tend to prefer DTS tracks over others, probably because of perceived loudness.

I think the quality of both are practically equal.

The differences in the perceived sound could be due to differences in processing by the particular processor AVR.

In my case, the Denon AVR 'plays' the DTS 'copying' the content of Surrounds to the surrounds back channels, in a 7.1 system. This is a known DTS feature.
But with the LPCM 5.1 I get sound only in the 5.1 speakers.

So I have a spatial difference, beeing the surrounds imaged more rear with DTS than with LPCM.

BUT if you are going to convert finally to FLAC 5.1 files, you will listen the way your processor process the FLAC files. I think you will not notice any difference either ripping from DTS or from LPCM.
In any case, you could test and compare with some content that you are familiar with.
I don't have rears in either of my systems, so the "copying" you describe doesn't apply for me. I also need to learn more about what happens when you convert either of those formats to FLAC, which is the format I use for 5.1 playback.

I don't have rears in either of my systems, so the "copying" you describe doesn't apply for me. I also need to learn more about what happens when you convert either of those formats to FLAC, which is the format I use for 5.1 playback.
In theory, beeing a lossless to lossless conversión, the result to FLAC should be 'identical' either from DTS HD-MA or from LPCM.
The differences would be on how each player processor 'decodes' each códec and the volume and tonal settings, or the dynamic playing settings involved.

Back