How to: Convert Blu-ray Discs for Audio File Playback (Atmos supported)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH but i cant play through appletv now which i just ordered the new seeking faster responses, what player are you suggesting?

Not sure what you mean.

How are you planning to play your multichannel files on your AppleTV?

What are you using now?

OPPO 203 MODDED WITH CHIP FOR ALL FILES, PANNY UHD FOR MCH FLAC/DSF MUSIC AND MKV SONGS IN DTS-HD.
atmos demo reel.jpg

This works out great IN GAPLESS PB, once I re-ripped everything for just the Dolby tracks all songs stay in ATMOS MODE.

You had mentioned Kodi and Plex, aren't those apps for ATV?

Last edited:
Didn't really want to post here, but anyway. The new Pineapple Thief, Nothing But The Truth. I cannot rip it. No matter the program. It does potentially seem to be an issue with my Pioneer BDA drive, I'd guess. Though, this is a first.

I cannot play the disc directly via VLC, or any other program. Yeah, works fine on my oppo, but that is of no consolation as I want to rip it. Have others who own this tried yet?

Didn't really want to post here, but anyway. The new Pineapple Thief, Nothing But The Truth. I cannot rip it. No matter the program. It does potentially seem to be an issue with my Pioneer BDA drive, I'd guess. Though, this is a first.

I cannot play the disc directly via VLC, or any other program. Yeah, works fine on my oppo, but that is of no consolation as I want to rip it. Have others who own this tried yet?
Sorry there Gene, but I'll prolly just snag this knowing the situation! 🤨

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/nothing-but-the-truth-the-pineapple-thief-atmos-mkv/

• Wow
Reactions: GOS

You probably know this already, but be sure to update MakeMKV to the latest version.

Great PDF Garry. Your commitment to helping others and expertise is always appreciated.

Curiously I followed the guide and ripped my Air- 10 000 Hz blu-ray to MKA files, and renamed them (not via MMH, as I am MACOs only. Strangely one played in 5.1 and the other as 7.1, and none of them are showing the re-named files (i.e. track names).

Looking at Mediainfo I can see that the data attached to the file still reads what I originally saved the output as, but shows that they are 7.1 Dolby Atmos encoded. So I am a bit puzzled as to what is going on, and how to fix them.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.23.13 pm.png

I thought we were not supposed to update MakeMKV? Doesn't that mess up the "free while in Beta" part?
Its been perpetually in beta. Every couple of months they issue a new beta key, Also, every couple of months they issue an update. If there is an update available, the program prevents you from using the old version and forces you to download the new one.

Great PDF Garry. Your commitment to helping others and expertise is always appreciated.

Curiously I followed the guide and ripped my Air- 10 000 Hz blu-ray to MKA files, and renamed them (not via MMH, as I am MACOs only. Strangely one played in 5.1 and the other as 7.1, and none of them are showing the re-named files (i.e. track names).

Looking at Mediainfo I can see that the data attached to the file still reads what I originally saved the output as, but shows that they are 7.1 Dolby Atmos encoded. So I am a bit puzzled as to what is going on, and how to fix them.

Most players read tags (file metadata) to get Artist, Album, Track No, Year etc. Unfortunately, MKA (Matroska Audio) files use a complex tagging system that’s not well supported by most players and not many tagging programs either.

What are you using to play the MKA files you created?

Mp3tag supports MKA (Matroska Audio) tagging but if the player does not then it won’t help. Kodi, JRiver and Foobar do not read all Matroska tags (I think Foobar reads some). Oppos don’t read Matroska tags.

One workaround is to create a CUE file for the above players. For Kodi using .m4a (MPEG Audio) is recommended since that uses a ’standard’ tagging system that is supported by most taggers (and Kodi).

Hi,
I’m looking for recommendations on a decent external Blu-ray reader/burner. My PC only has a DVD burner and I’d really like to start ripping all these MCH Blu-rays I own. I’m running Windows 10 but it’d be nice if I could get something compatible with both Mac and PC. Anything good for like under $150 CAD?

Hi,
I’m looking for recommendations on a decent external Blu-ray reader/burner. My PC only has a DVD burner and I’d really like to start ripping all these MCH Blu-rays I own. I’m running Windows 10 but it’d be nice if I could get something compatible with both Mac and PC. Anything good for like under $150 CAD?
I've been using an LG CP40NG10 for the last five years or so, can confirm it works with MakeMKV on both PC and Mac. There's tons of used ones on eBay for around $40 USD.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134151617006?hash=item1f3c0f39ee:g:LSkAAOSwN~BisKru

Hi,
Here's the one I've had since early 2019 that has served me well (or at least, here's the current version of the one I have):
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16It's kind of a tank, in a big heavy metal enclosure, but good if you want something really sturdy. It's compatible with both PC and Mac, and works with all the software I've tried with it, including MakeMKV. Also it might be pricier than you were looking for, but anyway it's the one I can vouch for, based on my own experience. OWC is reputable dealer, selling quality computer components and peripherals, but they're based in the U.S. and I'm not sure how much they would charge to ship to Canada...

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16OWC is reputable dealer, selling quality computer components and peripherals, but they're based in the U.S. and I'm not sure how much they would charge to ship to Canada...

Thank you sjcorne and scooob for the advice, both look like they’ll do fine for me, I’ll have a look around to see if I can find a good deal!

TrueHD and DTS-HD audio streams OK, but no tracklist video when ripping immersive music discs

Am new to MakeMKV, so this may be a basic question but I could not find any solutions on their support forum.
My only objective for now is ripping immersive music Blu-ray discs so that I can play the MKV files through either Kodi or Plex apps on an Nvidia Shield connected via HDMI to an AVR. If available, I want both the TrueHD 7.1 and the DTS-HD streams for playback in Atmos and Auro-3D respectively. When I play MKV files from third parties containing these audio streams I get the accompanying video for track navigation without any problem and I can see a snapshot image next to the filename in either app. But when I try to play from MKV files that I have ripped myself I am not getting any tracklist video, just a blank screen and there is no snapshot image next to the filename. I can select the audio streams without any problem, and I can see that my AVR is recognizing them as bitstream and decoding them properly.

I could not find anything obvious in the MakeMKV settings that might be causing this. I am using a brand new ASUS BW-16D1X-U drive to read the discs. Since I am not interested for now in ripping UHD discs I am hoping that I do not need to flash the firmware. Here is the information that MakeMKV is giving me on my drive:

Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1X-U
Revision: A105
Serial number: KL6LB7D2103
Firmware date: 2120-12-02 11:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks.

You need to select a video stream when using MakeMKV

Edit: Some Blu-ray discs can have multiple Titles. One may not include a video stream with content (blank video). Check to see if there is another title on the disc with video?

Last edited:
Back