How to covert DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio on blu-ray to multichannel Flac?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impetigo

I've spent a few hours researching this online and the best I could find is that ffmpeg can do the trick, but it looks too technical for me without a GUI, and there don't seem to be any well established GUIs to use for ffmpeg. Basically, I just want to convert the DTS-HD MA/TrueHD surround tracks on my small blu-ray (audio) collection so that I can put it on my Plex server and stream it from my Apple TV HD. I have tried using MakeMKV to get the "backup" then use DVD Audio Extractor to make a flac but I'm not clear if the DTS audio in the flac is the DTS-HD MA track or the lossy core. Any suggestions/info/advice would be appreciated, thanks!

If you are using Windows, Music Media Helper (MMH) can be downloaded here on QQ in the Media Player sub-forum (free).

It will convert DTS-HDMA and TrueHD etc from an MKV created with MakeMKV to FLAC and tag the files. See the PDF docs in the MMH thread.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ls-for-multichannel-audio-music-videos.22693/

Oh wow thank you for the quick reply! I do like MMH and used it a lot for splitting up MKV files (but used Foobar2000 for MKV to flac for some reason), didn't realize it can convert the DTS-HD MA and TrueHD (for some reason I didn't think to try it even). Once converted to flac though, it's changed and "no longer" the original form so I guess there's no point in converting both DTS-HD MA and TrueHD for blu-rays that have both (like Appetite for Destruction)? It doesn't help that I don't have a good grasp on the technical aspects of this.

The conversion of DTS-HDMA and TrueHD to FLAC is lossless.

If you were to convert the DTS-HD MA and TrueHD tracks to FLAC, there would not be any difference? I've read that DTS-HD MA tracks are thought to have more low end (bass) than TrueHD, which seems probably not true, but wondering if there is any point to convert both the DTS and TrueHD tracks or just stick to one.

There should be no difference as both codecs are lossless. However, it appears there‘s sometimes different masters used or encoder settings differ and that can make an audible difference between the two when played.

I don’t believe there is any ‘winner’. It’s a personal preference that in reality could have varying results between releases. But there will be those who always prefer one over the other. Do you own comparison and decide what’s preferable. To me it’s not critical.

There should be no difference as both codecs are lossless. However, it appears there‘s sometimes different masters used or encoder settings differ and that can make an audible difference between the two when played.

I don’t believe there is any ‘winner’. It’s a personal preference that in reality could have varying results between releases. But there will be those who always prefer one over the other. Do you own comparison and decide what’s preferable. To me it’s not critical.

Thanks so much, really appreciate your help.

Depending on your audio player, you could use MMH to remux to file container format that can hold the unconverted DTS or TrueHD stream and playback in that codec to an AVR with DTS-HDMA or TrueHD decoder. MKV, MKA, MP4 and M4A can hold those streams (and DTS:X & Atmos).

MMH’s tool ‘Extract Audio from MKV’ can remux those streams to the files container/types above.

In my tests
Basically, I just want to convert the DTS-HD MA/TrueHD surround tracks on my small blu-ray (audio) collection so that I can put it on my Plex server and stream it from my Apple TV HD...
Out of interest... What's the make/model of device (ie: AVR) that is processing the multi-channel audio stream?

Depending on your audio player, you could use MMH to remux to file container format that can hold the unconverted DTS or TrueHD stream and playback in that codec to an AVR with DTS-HDMA or TrueHD decoder. MKV, MKA, MP4 and M4A can hold those streams (and DTS:X & Atmos).

MMH’s tool ‘Extract Audio from MKV’ can remux those streams to the files container/types above.

Thanks, I did try keeping the tracks as MKV at first which was cool for that reason (being able to choose unconverted DTS-HD MA or TrueHD tracks) but when using Plex it meant those files were under my Movies folder instead of Music, and the files took up way more room. Ideally though, if not using Plex, that would be the best option.

In my tests
Out of interest... What's the make/model of device (ie: AVR) that is processing the multi-channel audio stream?

It's a low end AVR that I bought years ago but it gets the job done: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820.

As an aside here: Is there a way of getting into an MKV (or MP4) containing Dolby Atmos metadata to adjust channel levels, and maintain the metadata after the adjustments?

I know that we can rip the True HD 7.1 stream to FLAC, but I understand that doing so destroys the Atmos metadata.

As an aside here: Is there a way of getting into an MKV (or MP4) containing Dolby Atmos metadata to adjust channel levels, and maintain the metadata after the adjustments?

I know that we can rip the True HD 7.1 stream to FLAC, but I understand that doing so destroys the Atmos metadata.
No. Once the atmos encode is finished, it is what it is and can't be changed, doesn't matter what sort of container it's in.

Back