How to disassemble JVC 5944?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8nagel

Got a pair of these bad boys (quadraphonic headphones) in the mail today, the price was right. One of the hard shells is busted where the pivot is. I hear a rattling when I shake it, I hope the busted piece is inside and it can just be glued back together. However, there's no obvious way to disassemble. I'm assuming a heat gun is involved, either removing the pad or else the brushed aluminum trim piece, or both. Anyone had these apart and can offer advice? thanks!

They are working on all four channels, just need a little cleaning of the plugs.

I have these, and another pair literally on it's way in the mail right now. I would like to install drivers that can handle more power but the screw was going to strip and I didn't want to mess them up, I use them very often.

Well I was just about to reply "that's my question, what screw" when I realized that what I thought was glue was just a little line of dirt and I could just peel the pads off with my fingernails.

The screws came right out of mine, however, I feel obligated to point out that those screws are NOT PHILLIPS. If you look closely you will see that there is a little dot on the head of the screw, that is a sure indication that a screw is JIS. They're all over Japanese gear and also older Japanese cars. I have a set of Vessel JIS bits that I use in a bit holding screwdriver, although if you do this often enough it might be worth investing in a set of actual screwdrivers so you aren't thwarted by recessed holes. The specific screws that hold the driver plate into these phones came right out with a #1 JIS bit.

I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know, but I made it to about the age of 40 before learning this fact. Up until that point I figured that Japanese stuff was just put together with poor quality poop and fail; well, sometimes that may be the case but the JIS standard is actually superior to Phillips and in fact a JIS bit will even bite better on a Phillips recess than will the "proper" driver, so if I had to have only one set, it'd be JIS.

Even better, it appears that the broken piece that I was hoping was in there is, it's one piece, and looks like it will glue back in cleanly. Woohoo! Gotta wait until I can get some fresh super glue though. I have no luck with adhesives, it seems like the only way I ever have a fighting chance is if it's a tube that was just opened a minute or two ago.

Well I was just about to reply "that's my question, what screw" when I realized that what I thought was glue was just a little line of dirt and I could just peel the pads off with my fingernails.

The screws came right out of mine, however, I feel obligated to point out that those screws are NOT PHILLIPS. If you look closely you will see that there is a little dot on the head of the screw, that is a sure indication that a screw is JIS. They're all over Japanese gear and also older Japanese cars. I have a set of Vessel JIS bits that I use in a bit holding screwdriver, although if you do this often enough it might be worth investing in a set of actual screwdrivers so you aren't thwarted by recessed holes. The specific screws that hold the driver plate into these phones came right out with a #1 JIS bit.

I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know, but I made it to about the age of 40 before learning this fact. Up until that point I figured that Japanese stuff was just put together with poor quality poop and fail; well, sometimes that may be the case but the JIS standard is actually superior to Phillips and in fact a JIS bit will even bite better on a Phillips recess than will the "proper" driver, so if I had to have only one set, it'd be JIS.

Even better, it appears that the broken piece that I was hoping was in there is, it's one piece, and looks like it will glue back in cleanly. Woohoo! Gotta wait until I can get some fresh super glue though. I have no luck with adhesives, it seems like the only way I ever have a fighting chance is if it's a tube that was just opened a minute or two ago.
Interesting, I did not know about the screws, I was going to find a junk spare to mess with but ended up finding a nicer pair instead, maybe the first pair will get new drivers if I get adventurous enough, they are still nice though.

Interesting, I did not know about the screws, I was going to find a junk spare to mess with but ended up finding a nicer pair instead, maybe the first pair will get new drivers if I get adventurous enough, they are still nice though.

https://www.vesseltools.com/industrial-bits/bit-sets
I ordered A-16621 and A-16479, a really good investment. I also have 431801 and a Wiha brand impact bit holder because I do work on old cars and my hand impact is quite often used. (damn, I managed to combine Japanese, German, and USA (Snap-On - both my ratcheting bit holder and hand impact driver) made tools in one assembly to accomplish one job, but it was seriously the best stuff I could find for the purpose.)

https://www.wihatools.com/bits/bit-holders/impact-bit-holding-socket-with-retaining-ring-5-16-bit
(now I'm digressing a little bit, but seriously, my life would have been better had someone told me to buy these tools 20 years before I did.)

Now if you're just working on stuff on a workbench and it's all stereo related, I'd say you could probably get a set of #1, 2, 3 JIS screwdrivers and that would sort you nicely. Vessel makes those too and from what I've seen their stuff is good quality.

They're alive! Glued it back together and reinforced from behind with some super glue soaked toilet paper (redneck composite LOL) they sounded like garbage at first but I put on Inception and walked away for a while and I think they're breaking in again.

Back