How to hook up cables to an older surround sound amp w dvd,etc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aifrecords

I have a yamaha htr-5630 home theatre amp.Now from what I have read online the best cable
to use out of component,hdmi,optical and digital coaxial is hdmi. on the net it says" sound quality
on hdmi is better than on optical and coaxial". coaxial produces better sound than optical". "hdmi
delivers superior video vs component cable." the rear jacks on yamaha have no hdmi. so is it bette
r to buy a converter box that converts hdmi to rca and on the hdmi end stick in the tv on the rca end
stick in digital coax rca cable to the yamaha? then my dvd audio/sacd player(one unit)its an older
one pioneer dv-563a with no hdmi input it has coax digital audio out,s video out,component video
out, audio out.

and since it plays dvd a and sacd i can only use analog rca. so do i get an hdmi to
s video or component video along with rca audio converter box to plug in tv to the dvd audio player?
or just use analog audio out of dvd to analog of receiver? ad to the mix that I am also plugging in
turntable and hi fi vcr and possibly a 2nd regular dvd player into the yamaha because my dvd a/sacd
player will only be allowed analog audio connection and a 2nd regular dvd player i can plug in coax
digital for digital sound while watching dvds. the yamaha has the 6 input rcas for 5.1 sound and lots
of 3 rca holes(yellow for video, 2 audio red and white) for other inputs. I asked yamaha tech support
this question" using the 3 analog rca holes and in 2 out of 3 of those which are the red and white for
audio, will i still get 5 .1 sound for dvds in 5.1?

he said yes if i manipulate the settings internally in the
amp( I suppose he means the dolby digital/dts decoder or the pro logic /pro logic 2 decoder for multi
channel reproduction. ) now since there are only 6 rca inputs in back of yamaha amp for surround sound
(2 mains one center channel 2 rears one subwoofer) that are already being used for connection to the
6 rcas for surround on the dvd a/sacd player, I need to hookup the regular dvd for watching 5.1 dvd movies
to somewhere else inback of amp and im thinking for the audio the coax in would be a better choice vs what
the guy at yamaha said re using the analog rcas then manipulate the amps settings to achieve 5.1 sound.
he did say " if u go with a digital chord u will get 5.1" then he said the 6 surround rca holes in amp will give
you 5.1" so i think what he really meant is if u have the 6 surround sound holes plugged into one unit, you
can plug in a second unit into one digital coax hole and achieve 5.1 in that 2nd unit as well.

Last edited:
SPDIF (digital coax) and TOSLINK (optical 2 channel) cannot pass HD lossless multichannel audio. The only choice would be to use HDMI. You could pass the lower quality audio streams with coax or optical. Coax and optical should be the exact same quality. The lossy audio streams aren't just shocking lower quality. Sometimes the mastering is different in the different audio streams too. Coax will be prone to errors first and cable quality matters. Optical are sensitive to kinks and scratched ends. Sometimes copy protection with HDMI errs on the side of shutting you off.

If you tend to grab front row seats instead of in the back, you probably tend to set the controls for the full quality audio streams just because. Purchase and connect accordingly.

Man, I still cant read it.

Like Jim said, the best multichannel resolution you can pass using coax or optical is Dolby AC-3. It's the same standard used for television broadcasts.

There is no significant loss using component video vs HDMI for DVD playback. Both will pass 480p. The resolution jump comes with Blu-ray playback. At that point HDMI has a greater video resolution than component video.

I found this on the net showing the connections on the back of your Yamaha. Firstly, forget anything to do with HDMI, you'd just be wasting your money. Likewise ignore the co-ax is better than Optical. You have what you have.

1642627964976.png

Connect your SACD/DVD-A player via analogue to the 6-channel input. I assume the player will also decode Dolby & DTS so OK via analogue, so you can watch DVD films through it in surround. I'd probably just connect the video out straight of the player to your TV via SCART or composite video out of it. I also assume you normally connect the amp to the TV via the Monitor Out which is composite video. You've probably got to play around with the amp settings to get it all to work.

Seeing the back panel helps a lot. I agree with Duncan's advise. You will be able to get full resolution output from the Pioneer player with it handling all decoding internally. You will get full DVD video resolution using component out direct to the TV.

I don't see the need for another disk player.

Keep this in mind:

1. You will only be able to hear audio with the AVR on. DVD sound will not come from the TV.

2. You didn't mention what you use for broadcast programming? If you are using a cable box for broadcast you can also connect the box to the AVR with the coax/optical connection and get AC-3, which is the best you can do anyway. You can mute the built in TV sound when played this way if needed. IF using an over the air antenna, run a coax/optical out from the TV to the AVR. It will work the same way. Your AVR may/may not allow you to use the optical in and coax in as separate inputs.

3. You will not see any On Screen Display (OSD) from the AVR unless you connect the AVR's monitor out to a composite jack on the TV. Even if you can connect it, you wont see the OSD without switching inputs. That may not be important to you, especially if the AVR menu is a set and forget kind of deal.

4. The turntable is no problem, assuming you have a phono preamp or one built into the turntable.

5. Stereo from the VCR is no problem as long as you have an available common format connection on both the VCR and the TV (either composite, component or s-video). If all you have is composite out on the VCR then run both audio and video through the AVR with monitor out going to the TV. If you have component out on the VCR and an extra component in jack set on the TV, you will get better video resolution from the VCR by doing the same as the 5.1 connections. Component video direct to the TV, audio to the AVR.

The image below is the back of your DVD player so just connect the like audio and video connections to your AVR and you should be all set for both high quality video and multi-channel audio. Suggest using video connections in #4 (direct to your TV) and audio connections in #6 for multi-channel audio. For 2 channel audio, #3, 5 or 10 can be used.
1642642335500.png

Last edited:
I have a similar receiver. How would I hook up a BluRay player to it.

I need this player only because some movies are no longer on dvd (wrongdoing by manufacturere IMO).

I need a way to play these movies into my current system.

just upgrade to HDMI with inexpensive used AVR that has HDMI input/outputs AND RCA surround sound inputs/outputs. I found a Pioneer one on ebay it cost me $50 -$60. You can download a manual and be happy sooner. Anyting that can't connect to that needs to be retired.

I have a similar receiver. How would I hook up a BluRay player to it.

I need this player only because some movies are no longer on dvd (wrongdoing by manufacturere IMO).

I need a way to play these movies into my current system.
You would need to find a Blu Ray player that has 5.1 audio out and component video out.

An audio interface with 6 or more analog outputs would let you play any format you can host and decode on a computer (ie all of them) in it's fullest quality. Connect to the analog line inputs on that AVR or any other collection of amps you please. There are always a few USB connecting interfaces with 6 or more analog outputs on Ebay for under $200. Tascam US-1800. A couple different models of MOTU. These will have pro quality DACs and outputs that can be used balanced or unbalanced.

You don't need the more expensive models that connect with firewire or thunderbolt. Avoid the cheap HDMI connecting models you see on Amazon though.

Think of a HDMI AVR as an audio interface, DACs, analog preamp, and power amps built into the same box. Separates gives you more flexibility.

Back