How to incorporate quadraphonic amp with 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cash68

Hi. I posted in the hardware section about scoring pretty badass complete quadraphonic system for next to nothing. Suddenly, my home theater in a box is intolerable. My question is what's the best way to incorporate this system into something I can enjoy movies with as well as music? The receiver is a Technics SA-8500X. Since it has 4 amps, and each tape input has 4 inputs for quadraphonic sound, I figure I could use this amp to power the surrounds.... and use another amp to power the sub and center channel. It just so happens I have a 350 watt bigass amplifier laying around, made by sharp, with specs unavailable on the internet anywhere (if you feel like proving me wrong, pm me and I'll get you the model number).

So anyway... I have a 4 channel amp... and a 2 channel amp. What's the easiest way to incorporate these into a surround system capable of modern 5.1 reproduction? If I sell my home theater in a box (which I probably will, unelss I can use it somehow), I will need a dvd player.... so are there any DVD players with RCA output jacks for each channel? Or, would it be better to KEEP my HTIB since it's a 5 disc changer, has a remote, etc, and use the optical output of it to somehow connect it to a 'decoder' which could decode the optical surround sound data into a set of 6 RCA jacks taht I could then hook up to the quad receiver and 2 chan amp?

Thanks for any input.

PS: The home theater system is a pioneer HTD-520.... sounded better than most, it has larger front surrounds and it increases the power to them for playing music. IT DOES have: Dolby Digital /DTS digital output, and Optical and coaxial digital outputs. So if somebody made a decoder that could convert that signal to seperate RCAs, that'd pretty much be ideal.

If you have ADD and don't want to read all that, I am currently wondering IF this exists:

Digital (optical) input, converting to 6 seperate channels of RCA jacks (12 jacks in total).

Does this exist?

If you have ADD and don't want to read all that, I am currently wondering IF this exists:

Digital (optical) input, converting to 6 seperate channels of RCA jacks (12 jacks in total).

Does this exist?

I don't think the above exists.

However, most SACD/DVD-A players have 6 discrete outputs, one for each surround channel. This works well when sending the 4 corners to a quadraphonic receiver/amp, and using a stereo amp for the other 2 channels.

That's really so freaking weird that it doesn't exist, because the technology exists in almost ANY cheap ass home theater in a box receiver, even the ghetto off brand ones. :\

??12 jacks output? Or do you mean 6 in and 6 out?

Does this exist?
Only used AFAIK. Look for a Technics SHA-500D decoder. Has 3-4 digital inputs, 6channel analog RCA outputs and a 6channel analog RCA bypass input. I have one and they show up on eBay and elsewhere commonly.

Kal

??12 jacks output? Or do you mean 6 in and 6 out?

Only used AFAIK. Look for a Technics SHA-500D decoder. Has 3-4 digital inputs, 6channel analog RCA outputs and a 6channel analog RCA bypass input. I have one and they show up on eBay and elsewhere commonly.

Kal

No, I mean twelve. Each channel of a 6 channel system (5.1) requires two RCA jacks. I'll keep my eye out. It'd be cool to stay technics. :)

WOW! It even has a volume knob, and a remote! This is PERFECT. Too bad I can't find any for sale. :( Even google only turns up 4 results.

One question: Anybody know of any DVD players with component outs and a built in decoder? That would be a bit more simple solution....

Many, many. In fact, all the players I have now have them. What's your budget?

Kal

Eh... $300 or under. I can sell my HTIB for around that.... so that should work great. It would be especially cool if:

1. It had a volume control, with remote
2. It wasn't all plasticy and crappy, brushed aluminum front would be sweet
3. Multi disc.

Any suggestions?

Does this player have volume controls on the remote? So far it looks like it doesn't. Since my other amps/receivers lack a remote, it'd be super nice if this had one.

Anybody know? From the pics, it looks like it doesn't, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks!

Sony DVP-NS90V.... any thoughts? Bit more than I wanted to spend....but it has volume buttons on the remote. :\ That said, I generally hate sony products.

No, I mean twelve. Each channel of a 6 channel system (5.1) requires two RCA jacks. I'll keep my eye out. It'd be cool to stay technics. :)

Ummm.. I'm not sure that's right. Each channel of a 6 channel system is mono, so you only need 6 RCA jacks.

J. D.

Sony DVP-NS90V.... any thoughts? Bit more than I wanted to spend....but it has volume buttons on the remote. :\ That said, I generally hate sony products.
The Sony won't do DVD Audio.

I have a Pioneer DV-588a, and I couldn't be happier with it.

It has progressive video out put and it has 6 RCA outs for 5.1.

I was able to find mine for under $140 at a local shop.

The remote doesn't have volume control on it however. I don't think I've ever seen a DVD Player that did.

That said, I think you'll be happy with this player. It does DVD-A and SACD, and has built in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding. It will also play DTS CDs.

Hrm.... I'm in hte same boat. Quad gear, wanting to add two channels, preferably with a remote so if I get a phone call, I can turn it down... or adjust the volume level if some jackass with a harley davidson decides to be 'cool' on my block. Maybe I should just get a cheapie DVD player and a technics decoder.... those have volume controls... and a remote.

Back