How to replace 2.0 audio in a video with 5.1 audio?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdysseyMusik

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hi

Does anyone in here know about a program to replace 2.0 audio in a video with 5.1 audio or even 7.1?
Have heard that flac files mkv files can be used in mkv files (where mp4 used compressed sound, right?) -
Can 5.1 (or 7.1) flac-audio be incorporated in a mkv-file?

Yes it can! The tool you want is MKVToolNix. :)

Thank you very much! It works for both 5.1 and 7.1!!:)
(Couldn't find a propper dowmload for windows from your link, but found it on softonic; Hope thats ok and gives me no spam!;)

Made an ambient video for our progressive ambient music: https://odysseymusik.bandcamp.com
Now we only can wait for Youtube opening up for videos with 5.1 or 7.1 sound!:)
Come on Google!!!! We live in 2016!!!! Make the world a better place plz!

Last edited:
I've used MKVToolnix to merge different audio and video together. Works quite well.

I also use MKVToolnix to break my music concert discs into seperate song files by splitting by chapters. Then I rename the chapter video files with the song names and then I can play any song from any concert in any order with my media player.

I got fed up with doing all the file renaming so I wrote a small app so I could select all the files and simply paste a list of songs into the app and it renames the selected files as per the list in one go. I wish I did that earlier. No typing as I can usually find a list of songs on the web (Amazon etc)

Thx HomerJAU!
I'm a newbie in here as you can see;) Can someone help me find threads about:

1) Surround-headphones discussion/reviews (Got some ok ones myself for 7.1; Are there others?)

2) A lobby for spreading info about surroundmusic to local/nationals press and media. That could be:
"Why are 95% of all music played in a worse quality than the CD format from the 1980's?"
"Why only listen to stereo of music you really love if it instead could wrap around you - why be in a distance to your loved music when you can be in the center of the band?"
"It's like eating poor fastfood every day, never trying a gourmet restaurant"
"It's like drinking discount beer only, when you could get high quality beer"
Everey band who respect their own music should make best quality versions (Hi rez multichannel)!!!

Yeah, I know Spotify/Youtube are the easy and cheap way to get quantity, but if more and more began demanding better quality I'm sure Spotify/Youtube would follow.
Is the problem that surround systems are too expensive then?
Well maybe they don't have to be. 200$ surround headphones can be a good start if people don't have enough money or room for speakersystems, after my opinion!

It was a sad day when I heard Fish and Steve Wilson had discussed if they should make remixes in 5.1 of all Fish albums and dropped the idea; "Not enough people would buy the stuff" ..... so sad.....

Back