How to set up your gear for multi channel streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uffeolby

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi all,

I've been into 5.1 for 20 years by now and into "serious" streaming (stereo only) for about 5 years. I can see that there is a lot of multi channel streaming offered nowadays and I wonder what is needed for getting this to work?

My setup is a 5.1 AV Amplifier/Speaker configuration and a Bluesound Node 2 streamer and I use Tidal for streaming. Given this gear, can I listen to any kind of multichannel streaming?
- Will a digital connection between the Node and the amplifier send the correct signal to the amplifier which can decode it properly?
- Will a Dolby Atmos mix be downmixed to 5.1/7.1?
- Do I need a HDMI connection or will any digital connection do?

Anyone with experience in this area, I would very much like to hear your comments on this topic. Any upgrade to Atmos is not on the horizon for me yet, but to be able to stream in discrete 5.1 would be nice.

Hi all,

I've been into 5.1 for 20 years by now and into "serious" streaming (stereo only) for about 5 years. I can see that there is a lot of multi channel streaming offered nowadays and I wonder what is needed for getting this to work?

My setup is a 5.1 AV Amplifier/Speaker configuration and a Bluesound Node 2 streamer and I use Tidal for streaming. Given this gear, can I listen to any kind of multichannel streaming?
- Will a digital connection between the Node and the amplifier send the correct signal to the amplifier which can decode it properly?
- Will a Dolby Atmos mix be downmixed to 5.1/7.1?
- Do I need a HDMI connection or will any digital connection do?

Anyone with experience in this area, I would very much like to hear your comments on this topic. Any upgrade to Atmos is not on the horizon for me yet, but to be able to stream in discrete 5.1 would be nice.
Others with better knowledge may well overrule what i say here, as I am not familiar with your streamer.

Yes, Atmos will downmix to 5.1/7.1

I think you do need HDMI as digital coax/optical will not pass a high res multichannel signal. I believe any attempt to stream MCH will downmix to stereo, or possibly front channels only.

You can try it yourself. There is MCH streaming available on one of the Tidal tiers now.

Others with better knowledge may well overrule what i say here, as I am not familiar with your streamer.

Yes, Atmos will downmix to 5.1/7.1

I think you do need HDMI as digital coax/optical will not pass a high res multichannel signal. I believe any attempt to stream MCH will downmix to stereo, or possibly front channels only.

You can try it yourself. There is MCH streaming available on one of the Tidal tiers now.
Thanks for your input! Come to think about it, I do think I tried it some time ago, but only got a stereo output. Maybe I do need a streamer with HDMI capability to succeed in this. I know that the latest version of the Node has HDMI added.

To you who do stream 5.1/Atmos in your "high end" rig, how is it in comparison with doing it via a physical Bluray. Is it worth the cost and the effort to upgrade?

Yes, streaming is with HDMI only, BUT you can also change your output on your modern day AVR to different output settings, say you are getting a Dolby Atmos signal you can change it to stereo if you like, plus about 4 other options depending.
The advantage to upgrading to Apple4k box, highly recommend, is now you have best audio sound for movies, music, etc.
I know without doubt that many on QQ like to keep there old rigs active for modern listening, that is not me. My suggestion is to always upgrade to see/listen/experience the best of what modern technology has to offer.

I have playback facilities for most multichannel formats and sources but I do not see "a lot of multi channel streaming offered nowadays." Where is it?

Thanks for your input! Come to think about it, I do think I tried it some time ago, but only got a stereo output. Maybe I do need a streamer with HDMI capability to succeed in this. I know that the latest version of the Node has HDMI added.

To you who do stream 5.1/Atmos in your "high end" rig, how is it in comparison with doing it via a physical Bluray. Is it worth the cost and the effort to upgrade?
I have been reading up on the Node and I don't believe it will stream multichannel, even with HDMI.

There are quite a collection of classical in spatial audio (Atmos) on Apple Music, but I'm not into that so I have not listened to it.

Listening to this, impressed with the dynamics & thunderous orchestral bass on some of the tracks:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-immersive-experience/1569847170

Recorded at the world-famous Abbey Road Studios, The Immersive Experience brings you up close and personal with 35 of classical music’s greatest works, breathtakingly performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

The sheer power of the “Dies Irae” from Verdi’s Messa da Requiem is to be marveled at, while Prokofiev’s “Montagues and Capulets” have never sounded quite so menacing.
There’s a freshness to Mozart’s “Symphony No. 40,” its first movement’s orchestral detail revealed in a wide spectrum of sonic colors, and both Barber’s “Adagio” and Elgar’s “Nimrod” show off the LPO’s rich string sound.
A barnstorming performance of “Jupiter” from Holst’s suite The Planets is one of many thrilling highlights, as conductor Ben Gernon steers the orchestra through myriad musical styles and periods.

The cover photo is disturbing, however.
Pity the poor souls who will never experience the power of orchestral music played through decent speakers at concert volume.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 12.49.21 PM.png

I do not think this info is correct - DGG has quite a few classical artists in Atmos already in Apple Music
I have playback facilities for most multichannel formats and sources but I do not see "a lot of multi channel streaming offered nowadays." Where is it?
I stand corrected. There is more Classical genre than I knew of.

Oh. :( Thanks, anyway.

There's tons of Classical on Apple- probably the most content of all genre's. Most complain that it is not discrete enough to be considered ATMOS worthy- but I know that many classical purest's don't care for such trickery.

If I was a betting man, I would put you in the purest category Kal- so I would be interested in your thoughts if you care to explore the streaming riches one day...

There's tons of Classical on Apple- probably the most content of all genre's. Most complain that it is not discrete enough to be considered ATMOS worthy- but I know that many classical purest's don't care for such trickery.

If I was a betting man, I would put you in the purest category Kal- so I would be interested in your thoughts if you care to explore the streaming riches one day...
I have spent a couple of weeks doing so. I was disappointed at the actual repertoire which I felt was superficial as well as at the variability of the technical quality. Hoping to see what Primephonic can bring to it.

And where are all of these multichannel discs? I have never seen any.

And what is a DVD that also has DSD on the cover? I found that in the store yesterday.

Who cares about all that crap? :p

Bring on Kal's Turkey Soup Recipe!!

I made chicken soup from scratch the other day, turned out really good. Maybe I'll do turkey next!

If the 'streamer' is a networked smart TV that has a Tidal or Apple app, and using HDMI ARC from TV to AVR, does that suffice for streaming mch?

Back