How to set up your gear for multi channel streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the 'streamer' is a networked smart TV that has a Tidal or Apple app, and using HDMI ARC from TV to AVR, does that suffice for streaming mch?
I can't speak to Tidal but I don't think it will work that way for Apple Music. I tried that with my setup as you suggested and only seem to be able to get upmixes. It could be that my TV doesn't support Atmos through it's HDMI eARC output but I am fairly certain I read somewhere you need to have an Apple TV 4K box, which is how I actually am able to get Atmos streaming. You may be also able to use a Mac computer, not sure as I don't have one.

Again, the results may be different for Tidal but I don't have a subscription to that so I can't check.

You may be also able to use a Mac computer, not sure as I don't have one.

I posted in another thread how I'm able to stream Apple Music Atmos from my 5-yr-old Mac to my 10-yr-old 5.1 Yamaha AVR by using an apple display port thunderbolt -> HDMI adapter.
Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

In this configuration, the Mac is looking for a smart TV to use for a second display.
If my stereo TV is connected, the Mac limits the HDMI audio to stereo.
The trick was to disconnect the HDMI output from the AVR to the TV to force the Mac to recognize the AVR as a "smart TV" with 5.1 capability. đź’ˇ

Last edited:
Eh. Been there, done that. The selection is not appealing.

It's worth mentioning that in addition to the wide (and growing) selection of new and recent releases on DG & associated labels, both the DG group and the Warner Classics/Erato group have been delving into their back catalogues and quietly adding several more titles each week. At this point the list is too long to keep track of. The Atmos mixes usually aren't all that exciting, IMO--to my ears, my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer often does a better job--but at least the enterprise might bring some venerable older recordings to the attention of new ears. Here's a playlist:
https://music.apple.com/us/playlist...ial-audio/pl.525c56eb3527495e95d726dbb40b67b6

It's worth mentioning that in addition to the wide (and growing) selection of new and recent releases on DG & associated labels, both the DG group and the Warner Classics/Erato group have been delving into their back catalogues and quietly adding several more titles each week. At this point the list is too long to keep track of. The Atmos mixes usually aren't all that exciting, IMO--to my ears, my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer often does a better job--but at least the enterprise might bring some venerable older recordings to the attention of new ears. Here's a playlist:
To be frank, I am not really interested in upmixing for the sake of upmixing.

To be frank, I am not really interested in upmixing for the sake of upmixing.
I think a fair amount of this is original MCH material - ie. the Yepes/Navarro Rodrigo Concertos album is a known quad from the 70’s. Pretty sure they are using an old SACD transfer from the Japanese market, though the Pentatone transfer was better. Buyer beware, of course if a title is new to you it may indeed be a random upmix, and Apple TV does cap MCH streaming at 48k - less if you don’t change the default settings in the app.

I have a two channel setup using a Lumin D2, with the file source being a DIY Roon Rock built on an IntelNUC run across the network . Currently, I am experimenting with multi-channel delivered from my Roon Rock via HDMI connected directly to my Pre-Pro. So far so good for both two-channel and most importantly, multi-channel, which works like a hot dang! I have not tested with Atmos yet.

I have a two channel setup using a Lumin D2, with the file source being a DIY Roon Rock built on an IntelNUC run across the network . Currently, I am experimenting with multi-channel delivered from my Roon Rock via HDMI connected directly to my Pre-Pro. So far so good for both two-channel and most importantly, multi-channel, which works like a hot dang! I have not tested with Atmos yet.
If you have a 2 channel setup how do you know you are getting multi-channel? How would you actually test for Atmos? And if its a 2 channel setup, why bother? and a 2 channel Pre/Pro?

I can't speak to Tidal but I don't think it will work that way for Apple Music. I tried that with my setup as you suggested and only seem to be able to get upmixes. It could be that my TV doesn't support Atmos through it's HDMI eARC output but I am fairly certain I read somewhere you need to have an Apple TV 4K box, which is how I actually am able to get Atmos streaming. You may be also able to use a Mac computer, not sure as I don't have one.

Me neither, nor do I ever plan to

My question is whether there's a workable mch music streaming setup that involves only a smart TV and an AVR (plus loudspeakers of course).

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist...ial-audio/pl.525c56eb3527495e95d726dbb40b67b6

I really have to wonder if they are literally remixing any of these 'recorded or mastered for Atmos' versions, or it's really an upmix of some sort.

I really have to wonder if they are literally remixing any of these 'recorded or mastered for Atmos' versions, or it's really an upmix of some sort.

Some titles--especially on the DG side--seem to have more care & imagination devoted to them than others. And we know that Warner Classics had a lot of things reportedly mixed for quad in the 70s but left them unreleased, so those mixes might be the starting point for much of the back-catalogue stuff that's emerging now. The labels might have a template for mixing so that things can be cranked out by junior engineers, but even if they're cookie-cutter mixes, I doubt they're upmixes. (On the other hand, if the DSU can do a better job, then that might be a distinction without a difference.) At the end of the day, with some notable exceptions, the vast majority of classical surround mixing--quad, 5.1, or other--has always been conservative, aiming to capture the ambience of a live performance hall. So it's unlikely to get radical now, just because Atmos allows for it...

I'm aware of actual classical multichannel mixes having been released on disc; I own many.

My question is what was done to create these Warner Classics 'Spatial Sound' Atmos releases.

Are they new remixes from the original multitrack tapes?

Are they previously released multichannel mixes presented 'as is'? (Most of the Atmos channels would be empty unless the AVR upmixes it)

Are they previously released multichannel mixes 'processed' in some way (e.g., upmixed from 4.0 to higher channel number)?

Are they two channel mixes upmixed?

At the end of the day, with some notable exceptions, the vast majority of classical surround mixing--quad, 5.1, or other--has always been conservative, aiming to capture the ambience of a live performance hall. So it's unlikely to get radical now, just because Atmos allows for it...
That is true. However, my objection to most of the classical MCH/Atmos streaming content is that the general clarity/tonal balance is poor. They just sound muddy.

I do not have a subscription to Tidal or any other streaming service except a free account at Spotify.
I did buy a TV late last year that was touted as being Dolby Atmos capable. All I can find in the setup and the meager manual is how to turn it on
Skimmed through the posts but not sure I saw anything specifically about streaming Atmos (through the tv) except with Apple TV.
Wondering if others whose tv is "Dolby Atmos" capable are having any luck with it and Arc or eArc connected with their AVR getting it over their HT?
Barring that do Tidal ever offer trial periods? (Dolby Atmos content)

Me neither, nor do I ever plan to

My question is whether there's a workable mch music streaming setup that involves only a smart TV and an AVR (plus loudspeakers of course).
To my knowledge, no. However, you could buy a 4k Amazon Fire TV Stick for $30-40 and will be able to stream Atmos from Tidal. I think it's still the case that only some Amazon devices allow Atmos streaming on Tidal. Keep in mind, there are other hoops to jump through. You need to be on the right Tidal plan and in the past anyway, you had to have an AVR that supports Atmos as well in order to get the Fire TV Stick to play Atmos streams. There were reports of a workaround where you could setup the Fire TV Stick on such an AVR and then move it to one that only has 7.1 or 5.1 capability but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Also, be aware that the Atmos streams on both Tidal and Apple Music are currently 768k bitrate, although Apple apparently presents it as a 24/48 lossless stream.

The most frustrating thing is there are lots of streaming exclusive Atmos titles such as Tattoo You and the Atmos mix of Sgt. Pepper.

Lots more info in the Object-based subforum: Object-based Surround

I sort of don't think the OP's original question has been answered adequately. I have an Atmos capable Yamaha receiver that will stream from Tidal. So I signed up for Tidal. The stereo sounds great, but it was no go for the multichannel. I finally solved that problem by getting an Amazon Firecube. The interface sucks, but it will play Atmos. Not 360 though. For Apple music, I think you need an Apple TV 4K. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go with that - Tyranny and Mutation is only available in 360 on Tidal.

Back