How to set up your gear for multi channel streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?? Kal, I know you. Classical was obviously not the operative issue here, phsyical vs streaming was. I am simply asking if your muddy comments are also about streamed versions you are previously familiar with as much clearer discs.
Indeed, yes.

I'm aware of actual classical multichannel mixes having been released on disc; I own many.

My question is what was done to create these Warner Classics 'Spatial Sound' Atmos releases.

Are they new remixes from the original multitrack tapes?

Are they previously released multichannel mixes presented 'as is'? (Most of the Atmos channels would be empty unless the AVR upmixes it)

Are they previously released multichannel mixes 'processed' in some way (e.g., upmixed from 4.0 to higher channel number)?

Are they two channel mixes upmixed?
Curious if there's some insight on ssully's question...?? How are the Atmos mixes developed?

I have Yello - Point and Steve Wilson - The Future Bites on bluray and they both sound much better than the streamed versions on Tidal. They are both very busy mixes with lots of dynamic range so I suspect they don't fare as well with the low bit rate as some other titles. If Ocean to Ocean sounds better on a bluray I sure wish there was one.

You have to crank up any stream on Tidal quite a bit. I reckon this would have an impact on dynamic range perception.

I have Yello- Point on disc and listen to it on streaming. Only main difference I could detect was low end extension, and channel separation seemed a bit easier to pinpoint on disc. (In fact I was't even sure the ability to isolate effects coming from speakers was a good thing.)

I reckon no greater than 5-10% improvement and I think I am being generous going up to 10%.

Maybe my amp does a better job at handling streaming content? Dunno.

The main point is that I never would have bought the disc if I didn't hear it on streaming first.

The cost of multichannel discs these days isn't dispensable income, it is an investment - like a premium bottle of wine. How many liquor stores let you sample their premium bottles prior to purchasing (wineries likely exceptions- but usually you have to also pay for a taste these days.) Streaming to me is akin to a winery.

Try before you buy folks. My bank account is a lot better off for it, and my cabinet still has room for gems only.

What I’d like to be able to do is stream surround Apple Music from my IPhone into my Audi Bang and Olefsen system. The system will play 5.1 flac files off a drive through the cars USB portal. When I connect the phone the same way it defaults to Apple Airplay, which doesn’t seem to support 5.1 content.

What I’d like to be able to do is stream surround Apple Music from my IPhone into my Audi Bang and Olefsen system. The system will play 5.1 flac files off a drive through the cars USB portal. When I connect the phone the same way it defaults to Apple Airplay, which doesn’t seem to support 5.1 content.
Correct, Apple Airplay does not support Atmos playback.

You have to crank up any stream on Tidal quite a bit. I reckon this would have an impact on dynamic range perception.

I have Yello- Point on disc and listen to it on streaming. Only main difference I could detect was low end extension, and channel separation seemed a bit easier to pinpoint on disc. (In fact I was't even sure the ability to isolate effects coming from speakers was a good thing.)

I reckon no greater than 5-10% improvement and I think I am being generous going up to 10%.

Maybe my amp does a better job at handling streaming content? Dunno.

The main point is that I never would have bought the disc if I didn't hear it on streaming first.

The cost of multichannel discs these days isn't dispensable income, it is an investment - like a premium bottle of wine. How many liquor stores let you sample their premium bottles prior to purchasing (wineries likely exceptions- but usually you have to also pay for a taste these days.) Streaming to me is akin to a winery.

Try before you buy folks. My bank account is a lot better off for it, and my cabinet still has room for gems only.
Your perspective is similar to mine. I started streaming Apple Music ATMOS at about the same time as I bought the Let It Be re mix release on Blu ray. I really couldn’t hear a difference between the sound of the Blu Ray vs streaming. However, already owning and liking the Sgt Pepper re mix in 5.1 on Blu ray, I was blown away by how much better the recently released streaming ATMOS mix sounded.

I never thought I’d be streaming music, because I’m such a die hard multi channel fan and up until recently it couldn’t be streamed. Now I’ve become a streaming addict, gorging on lots of surround content, but I’m also being exposed to lots of artists and music( in stereo and mulit channel) that I wouldn’t have bought on Disc.

So am I correct in thinking that in order to receive Atmos material, one needs an Apple TV box or similar and for instance a Sony STR-DN1080 and at least a 7.1 system (both of which I have), as well as a subscription to one of the relevant services?

Thanks.

So am I correct in thinking that in order to receive Atmos material, one needs an Apple TV box or similar and for instance a Sony STR-DN1080 and at least a 7.1 system (both of which I have), as well as a subscription to one of the relevant services?

Thanks.
Apple 4K TV variant and either Apple music or Tidal is the most common path to surefire success.

Thanks, I might plump for that combo then. Although £100 for the box and £20 a month for the service is more than I am prepared to pay :)

Last edited:
Back