How To: Upmix using Penteo and Reaper

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just add Ozone to Reaper just like you add Penteo to Reaper in my PDF.

It will show up in Reaper’s FX list (see page 14 of my PDF). Click on it in the FX list and you will see the main Ozone window. Then select/remove the Ozone tools you want to use.

If you have more than one FX in Reaper it auto connects the FX from top to bottom. If you have more than one Ozone tool selected Ozone auto connects them from left to right.

To batch use Imager just select Ozone in FX and just select Imager in Ozone. Set Reapers batch output to stereo (if you only want to just use imager as Imager widens stereo only)

You now know enough to work it out I think.

Last edited:
Just add Ozone to Reaper just like you add Penteo to Reaper in my PDF.

It will show up in Reaper’s FX list (see page 14 of my PDF). Click on it in the FX list and you will see the main Ozone window. Then select/remove the Ozone tools you want to use.

If you have more than one FX in Reaper it auto connects the FX from top to bottom. If you have more than one Ozone tool selected Ozone auto connects them from left to right.

To batch use Imager just select Ozone in FX and just select Imager in Ozone. Set Reapers batch output to stereo (if you want to just use imager as Imager widens stereo only.

You now know enough to work it out I think.
Thanks Garry!

I don’t think you can.

But you can add Izotope Ozone 9 Imager to Reaper’s Batch tool.

Edit: You can add additional Ozone components to Reaper’s Batch tool. I’ve used both EQ and Imager while doing Penteo UMs in batch
Pardon the rookie question, but what are you using the EQ for while imager I understand for opening up the stereo more, but the EQ adjustment I’m a bit confused by. Thanks

I had a couple of stereo albums that were overly bright, so I added EQ at the beginining of the conversion chain:

Original Stereo Input -> EQ -> Imager -> Penteo -> Upmixed Output

Okay, attempt #4 got me closest (so far) to what I'm looking for from this Riverside - Oberhausen (Wasteland Tour) 24-96 files that were shared with me. I like it so much I'm going to buy the box set. I saved my presets each time so I can return to any of them. I like being able to do this to start work right away and not have to think about loading anything.

Other albums I'm flirting with now: KAYAK - Royal Bed Bouncer (loving this right now) Others by Dregs, Happy The Man, CSN(Y), Rush, Strawbs, The Chills, Ginger Baker, Blow Up Hollywood Gentle Giant, Beck, Snarky Puppy

Question: Would the Imager process step help the Riverside Live album as much as a studio record? It is mixed quite well IMHO. If so, I'll back up and prepare it as such.

This is great!

Okay, attempt #4 got me closest (so far) to what I'm looking for from this Riverside - Oberhausen (Wasteland Tour) 24-96 files that were shared with me. I like it so much I'm going to buy the box set. I saved my presets each time so I can return to any of them. I like being able to do this to start work right away and not have to think about loading anything.

Other albums I'm flirting with now: KAYAK - Royal Bed Bouncer (loving this right now) Others by Dregs, Happy The Man, CSN(Y), Rush, Strawbs, The Chills, Ginger Baker, Blow Up Hollywood Gentle Giant, Beck, Snarky Puppy

Question: Would the Imager process step help the Riverside Live album as much as a studio record? It is mixed quite well IMHO. If so, I'll back up and prepare it as such.

This is great!
What Penteo settings are you playing with? I only really see the adjustment to center and surround power. Are there others I’m missing?

thanks

Imager can help but it’s not guaranteed.

Easy enough to try it though. Just add to Reaper chain prior to Penteo and experiment with the widening effect.

You may also want to try playing with the rear channel gain.

MMH’s Channel Volume tool can update all the album tracks in a single batch command pretty quickly.

What Penteo settings are you playing with? I only really see the adjustment to center and surround power. Are there others I’m missing?

thanks

Yes, those two simple adjustments are powerful. You can change the LFE to good effect. I saved each Change as a preset to make it easy to revisit.

I was doing some Penteo to SpecWeb comparisons this morning and there was a new version of Penteo, 4.1.0 so downloaded and installed.

It seems OK at 44.1Khz but (in Reaper) I got horrible distortion and clicking with a 96KHz, or higher rate source. I figured I was doing something wrong in Reaper so switched to Plogue Bidule but in that is seems like the center channel is missing or something really odd. There is a weak waveform there, but it is clearly not "C". Downsampling the source to 44.1Khz everything is normal.

Is anybody else having issues?

Here is how it looks in Plogue Bidule and what the output waveforms look like (96KHz source) and then the same setup, same source file, but downsampled to 44.1KHz.

Attachments

• Penteo.png
    Penteo.png
    391.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Penteo2.png
    Penteo2.png
    279.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Penteo3.png
    Penteo3.png
    459 KB · Views: 49
I did some 96kHz source upmixes yesterday with the new Penteo Pro 4.1 with no issues.

Did you set the input and output channel layouts correctly in Penteo’s configuration/settings screen?

Yes I think so, that's why I included the screen shot.

L, R, C, LFE, Lsr, Rsr output. Nothing coming out on other outputs.

In reaper, do you have to change anything based on sample rate?

I certainly had the proper sample rates set in Plogue Bidule, and used the same "layout" and Penteo settings for both 96K and 44.1K tests. Dramatically different sounding and waveform results for the different sample rates.

I only use Reaper in batch mode. But there I set sample to ‘same as input rate’ so no resampling done by Reaper.

Yes I am also the same setup here. Perhaps I should uninstall Penteo and reinstall?

At this point I don't know what else to try.

hmm... No unistaller.

Last edited:
Well I rebooted. At least now I get the same results from Reaper Batch and Plogue Bidule, but still have the strange sound and wave forms at 96K.

Will try some other files and sample rates later.

Guess I should try 7.1 and 7.1.4 upmix as well as 5.1.

Try another stereo mix. Occasionally Penteo can’t handle certain mixes. I found about 3 so far, all from blu-ray stereo live music discs. I reported it to Penteo but no response.

Wow you are correct, it seems to be just that one source file. Very strange. This was a studio mix, but yeah I think from Blu-ray. I'll try to go back and check...

Last edited:
I haven't used SpecWeb for a while and I know Glen has released new versions recently. But in my last tests SpecWeb had artifacts with certain sources, whereas Penteo didn't. Best to try both and compare for yourself. Personally I think Penteo is easier to use, with fewer configuration options.

There's $$ involved with Penteo but any user can get a great upmix.

As I said in the PDF Penteo, Reaper (and Izotope Ozone Imager, if you also try that) all have free trials, although you need to buy an iLok USB device for the Penteo trial. The iLok is around $50, but you can upmix a heap of albums in 14 days so you'd get your $50 worth for sure!! (and you could always sell it if needed and recover almost it all).
Are you using the free Ozone Imager or the one included in Ozone 10 standard or advanced?

Back