How To: Upmix using Penteo and Reaper

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batch converting 2.0 to Penteo surround is of course a time saving process. I never did this. Usually a nuendo session is created by using a selfmade template. Most - but not all - tracks / CDs can be optimized. And I'm always messing around with the LFE.
Especially Kate Bush - The Kick Inside (I've an old CD release used for this, no remaster) sounds so much better and very discrete after manual work. This was important to me because of her fantastic voice. And it wasn't easy to get a result that pleased me.
I would like to encourage you to play a bit around with your audio tools.

I received this response in regards to the new version of Penteo and the batch processing problem in Reaper
ā€---------------------
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We have found the issue releated batch processing on Reaper and have coded the fix already and should have it tested and out in a week or so. I donā€™t have the details yet but just saw the status change so wanted to let you know!

New Reaper version fixes the issue with latest Penteo v2.24.

Now setting Reaper's Output Channels allows any Penteo Output up to and including the Reaper Output Channel count.

To do a valid 4.1 mix you still need to select 5.1 in Penteo and turn the Centre to 'Off'

Got this in my email today; sale on til 7/31. *note, will also need an iLOK USB!

Dolby Atmos 2.1.2, 3.1.2, 4.1.2, 4.1.4 Formats Added

Ambisonics decoding / downmixing to any Penteo supported format

SAVE 30% off Penteo 16 Pro - Only $349 until July 31, 2021​
hrbUF-vyMJ-9LOXxlQfYz-cQG8hIJuy878aQ99j8j3E5OTycQ-VqlyHwatsB1prkj_QD7xKvrMYPoZtr7xTu7ZnPV8DN2koQOwGCTg5O58RkDojAZSbwp1C2Z_ZhFhWkNMCP3HYgrWOxKxyxLJjTeyB5s5OwbjEsfA9YIZiqKkv7vb0xub81mnrxI7G_wCS9gmkEtCtAwCpmEmrGhIgeDipRBOGJ1nCKHLyoJvqoQzqqtiZW=s0-d-e1-ft

Looks like Iā€™m not eligible for the free upgrade. I donā€™t get an update notification when running Penteo 16 and I didnā€™t receive an update email, just an email saying I can buy Penteo 16 3.0 at 30% off.

My license is Penteo 16 Pro (I just typed Penteo 16 as an abbreviation). I bought mine in Nov 2019 soon after Penteo Pro 16 was released.

EDIT: Ok, I can download the 3.0 version from the email I received this morning. Not sure why I didn't receive an update notification from when running Penteo though.

All good now. Thanks to Glenn for pointing out the email's update link (I missed it)

Last edited:
I downloaded the new version and the settings tab to change channel assignments is so small you can hardly read it. I will test out the batch processing this weekend

When I use the 4.1 setting outside of batch processing on the new version 3.0 , I do not get any sound of the right rear. Still need to use the 5.1 setting with the center channel turned off

Penteo Quad channel order and output is not what we expect.

You need to use 5.1 and turn the centre off or use MMH to correct the channel order if using Penteo's 4 channel output setting.

When I use the 4.1 setting outside of batch processing on the new version 3.0 , I do not get any sound of the right rear. Still need to use the 5.1 setting with the center channel turned off
Make sure you always check off your Input/Output settings in the little Setting's gear; if I close the program it always resets to to the wrong order.
*-edit, of course I'm using an older version still, and may have been corrected in later releases.

I checked the settings after loading the new version and they were exactly as I had set them in the earlier version. Like I mentioned before the settings box size has changed and is so small I had to get close to the 55" TV to read it

Make sure you always check off your Input/Output settings in the little Setting's gear; if I close the program it always resets to to the wrong order.
*-edit, of course I'm using an older version still, and may have been corrected in later releases.

You need to save your settings as the new default Pup.

Here is another response I received from ADL in reference to Penteo V224
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As promised, batch processing for Reaper has been fixed in v3.0.0 which is out today on our installer page for you to try. Please let me know if it doesnā€™t do what it should for you.

Iā€™ve been reading your posts on QQ and hope you clarify for your thread that yes the batch processing was broken in our last release but that was due to changes in Reaper that we were not aware of via their doc. Once notified, we fixed in weeks.

Regarding the channel issue that the thread blames Penteo for, that was a Reaper issue, there was no fix on our side and it seems to be working for you now as a result of their last update? Please confirm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked back at my email I sent ADL and I had commented on channel assignments

1. When I select a 4.0 layout I only get Left front, center, Right front
  2. When I select 4.1 the right rear speaker has no sound. The meter shows sound but nothing can be heard. If i switch to 5.1 and I get sound out of all the correct channels
I guess the issue they are referring too in the last sentence is not a Penteo issue but I have not checked on this since I installed the latest version. I'll try and do that maybe this weekend.

Overall I am very pleased with the customer support from ADL in regards to Penteo

You need to save your settings as the new default Pup.
Hey Garry, do you know how to do batch processing in iZotope Ozone 9 Imager; or other modules? šŸ¤ 
*and.... sorry if I've asked this one before, if it's past uhhhh āŒš Noon, I've probably already forgotten again šŸ˜„

Last edited:
I donā€™t think you can.

But you can add Izotope Ozone 9 Imager to Reaperā€™s Batch tool.

Edit: You can add additional Ozone components to Reaperā€™s Batch tool. Iā€™ve used both EQ and Imager while doing Penteo UMs in batch

But you can add Izotope Ozone 9 Imager to Reaperā€™s Batch tool.
Edit: You can add additional Ozone components to Reaperā€™s Batch tool. Iā€™ve used both EQ and Imager while doing Penteo UMs in batch
When you get some time could you please lay out how that would be set up in Reaper?

Back