how /where to hook up demodulator/turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aifrecords

just bought the sansui qrx 5500 , all the manual says is " if u have a discrete 4 channel disc demodulator coupled to the 4 channel aux inputs,and want to hear a discrete 4 channel record, set the control to discrete,the selector switch must be turned to 4 ch aux at the same time." So where does the turntable go? I am assumming into the back of the sansui vs demodulator because the sansui directions do not say to put turntable into demodulator. my demod is a marantz cd-400b

just bought the sansui qrx 5500 , all the manual says is " if u have a discrete 4 channel disc demodulator coupled to the 4 channel aux inputs,and want to hear a discrete 4 channel record, set the control to discrete,the selector switch must be turned to 4 ch aux at the same time." So where does the turntable go? I am assumming into the back of the sansui vs demodulator because the sansui directions do not say to put turntable into demodulator. my demod is a marantz cd-400b
The turntable connects to the demodulator's phono input, then the demodulator's 2CH direct output connects to the receiver's phono input, and the demodulator's 4-channel outputs must be connected to receiver's 4-channel tape or aux inputs. When you want to play a non-CD4 record, just switch the demodulator into 2CH mode.

If you are using an external CD-4 demodulator, the turntable always connects to the phono inputs on the demodulator. Then, the four outputs from the demodulator go to the four channel aux. inputs on the receiver.

Doug

The turntable connects to the demodulator's phono input, then the demodulator's 2CH direct output connects to the receiver's phono input, and the demodulator's 4-channel outputs must be connected to receiver's 4-channel tape or aux inputs. When you want to play a non-CD4 record, just switch the demodulator into 2CH mode.

ok thank you, so if i want to play stereo as well as qs and sq then leave demodulator in 2 channel mode with the power left on on the demod? its the marantz cd 400b

I know almost everybody recommends connecting the demodulator direct output to the receiver/amp phono input and switching the demodulator between normal and direct output. I don't. I let the demodulator automatically switch between CD-4 and two channel. Then, all you have to do is leave the receiver/amps in normal mode for CD-4 and turn monitor on for two channel or matrix quad.

Doug

I know almost everybody recommends connecting the demodulator direct output to the receiver/amp phono input and switching the demodulator between normal and direct output. I don't. I let the demodulator automatically switch between CD-4 and two channel. Then, all you have to do is leave the receiver/amps in normal mode for CD-4 and turn monitor on for two channel or matrix quad.

Doug
I would agree with you but it is literally impossible with my jvc demodulator, every single non-cd4 record sets it off and it makes the horrible noises like an out-of-tune radio station, but not so with kenwood demodulator though.

I imagine the JVC is supposed to automatically switch and, if so, there is a problem with it.

Doug
That may be, it is an early model(4DD-10) with automatic carrier, it still works fine for CD-4, the pots and 2CH button are both on the front so its easy to switch, I guess can just live with it, both my Kenwoods have excellent demodulators:).

Back