Htpc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken61

Over the weekend I finished my first attempt at building a Home Theater PC. I've built desktops for years, my first one was a 200 MHZ. system when the ATX format was released. The primary pourpose is to rip my cd collection in a lossless format and play them back. Also I enjoy gaming so I wanted some performance. Ok, my mom just bought a new system and there is no way I will have a slower computer than her. I'm the geek in the family and have to protect my honor.

The case is probaly the most important componet in this and I used a Silverstone Garaunda 5.

Pros:
Looks good, mounts for your dvd/bluray drive and 2 3.5 hard drive or 1 can be used for a 2.5 SSD. The power supply can be mounted in 2 different orientiations. Takes full height cards.

Cons:
A bit light. They provide some rubber feet to support the power supply. Mine was only 450 watts and still flexed the back wall a bit. Hard drive mount had a rubber baffle to help with cable routing but press quite tightly on the connections of a 2.5 ssd. Being small is a bit of a pain to work in and if you use a graphics card make sure any power connection face to the back not the top. The DVD drive will hang over the cpu socket so becareful about which cooling fan you use. The bluray drive is about an inch and a half longer.

Motherboard. Asrock 890 GM Micro Atx socket am3.
Pros: everything worked on first test so reliable. 6 core cpu works out of the box no bios upgrade.
Cons: cooling sink for chipset is close to cpu socket so take care putting the fan on. Not a con but it has 1 pci express for grahpics card with a 1x pci-e and a pci slot availble after install a 2 slot graphics card.

Cpu: An AMD 6 core 1090T and a Scythe Big Shuiriken cooler.
The cooler is low profile but still very big. Tip, install ram first then cpu and cooler before mounting the board in the case. There was only 8mm of clearance between the top of the cooler and the bluray drive. Also ram with a large heat sink won't fit under it.

Video: I wanted a bit more than the chipset on the board so I installed a 5770 Ati card.
It uses 2 slot and needs a 6 pin power connection.

Storage: 128 gb Cosair SSD and 1tb green label hard drive. I caught the ssd on a clearance speacial so still not cheap but atleast acceptable.

Odds and ends: 4 gigs of ram and I replaced the stock fans with 3 ultra quiet low flow fans, only 500 rpm.

Results: Performance is quite good but just a touch loud for htpc. In a quiet room you can still barely hear it at about 20 feet.

The main villian is the cpu fan but there isn't any options really available to fix that. The graphics card has some room to play with. I could try just the motherboard set to see how it works, I'm not very hopeful. Second install a 5460 which is passivly cooled. the performance is a bit better than the main board and can be set up in a crossfire configuration with it for a bit of minor kick. But just a minor one. Lastly just wait until next month. The buzz is that Ati will launch the 6000 series and they will be more energy efficent.

Tips and lessons. To build a system strictly for home theater I'd use the AMD 605e series cpu. You can use use a passive cooler that Silverstone sells. And the onboard graphic is good enough for bluray play back. Just don't expect to do much fragging on the big screen with it. You would need to keep the stock fans in the case to give you the needed air flow.

Well time to go and meet some friends online for a quick frag fest. It's so cool to gib your bud on a 52" screen and real 5.1 sound.:brew

Good work Ken. I built my last 2 PC's and there is a good deal of satisfaction in it. At present I just use my PS3 for playing MP3's through my home theatre system, not all lossless though unfortunately

If you have over a 1000 cd to rip do consider the idea of buying a robot supported by dbpoweramp. I got one for this task (+-4500 cd) and it's simply amazing what you can really do with one of these units. Load 50 disc and let the pc works for you.

I have a Kodak G3, this is a G4 unit and it should work with the same drivers:

http://www.311computer.net/311carts/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1876

(btw, i'm not related with the seller).

Hey thanks for the response.

My collections isn't a huge one, about 450 discs, so a few hours here and there will do the trick and I'll have it done in a reasonable time frame. I have a ps3 and after much debate I decide to go with a pc. I like it and it's a great platform but I'm to attached to pc's to make the break.

I also spent the weekend playing with different programs to rip them into Flac. I tried the more popular ones, EAC, Foobar, Winamp, etc. Each one had a glick to it. Winamp I would have to close the program each time I changed discs. A fresh Windows 7 home premium install and not AV software. Exact Audio Copy was dreadfully slow with high quality. We're talking .4x rips, I mean 0.4x rips on a disc with no scratches. Foobar I have to say look like a serious program and it is. You need to take a bit of time to get to know it but the downside with it and EAC is it just dumped the files into a single folder. Also Windows doesn't natively handle Flac, a 3rd party codex is available for it.

Okay, Windows Media player. It doesn't support Flac but it does have window lossless. Theres no difference in sound quality and I selected the smallest compression ratio since I didn't care about the file size. It has a good file hiearcy, quick, reliable and easy to use so at the end of the day that's the way I went. IMPORTANT!! I did some testing with a few discs with each program before starting off on ripping. Things looked good then I noticed that there was no artist information in the media center just Title 1, 2 etc. Which led to a very calm, WTF! Who's the dumb @ss that thought not placing the artist in the tag information as a default was a good idea?!? Just go Tools, Options, Rips and click the file name button then select it and all is well.

OOPS! made a mistake in the program. The options is only for the file name not the tag information in windows media player. The missing tag info was anther program which got pulled off after a single disc. My apologize to MS and don't deactivate my windows please.

Last edited:
Foobar I have to say look like a serious program and it is. You need to take a bit of time to get to know it but the downside with it and EAC is it just dumped the files into a single folder.

That issue is EASILY fixed my friend.

In version 1.1, when you go to convert a file, click on "Destination" and on the Output Path menu choose "Source Track Folder". This will put your flac files in the same location as the source wav files. Obviously, if you are ripping right off a CDROM, that won't work too well (as in, it just won't work), so you would want to go into the Destination menu and choose the "Specify Folder" option. The Specify Folder option will let you use a pre-existing folder or it will create a user-defined folder automagically when you begin the conversion process.

I agree that Foobar is not the most intuitive program that ever came down the road, but it is one that rewards the user who sticks with it.

Back