HTS: Always Learning Something New

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaquad

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Last week I was snooping around a thrift store for quad records and tapes and found a Pro-Arte Sample Surround CD from 1992 encoded with a Shure HTS encoder. Never heard of this format before. Only found a brief mention of HTS at Mark Anderson's site and only a few articles on the internet. Apparently, it was not around very long. The insert lists 19 other Pro-Arte surround sound titles. Any one here have a HTS decoder? Curious how well it performed with HTS and non-HTS encoded recordings. Thanks.
Tom in Florida

Attachments

• SSCDa.jpg
    SSCDa.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 173
  • SSCDb.jpg
    SSCDb.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 159
Last week I was snooping around a thrift store for quad records and tapes and found a Pro-Arte Sample Surround CD from 1992 encoded with a Shure HTS encoder. Never heard of this format before.

The logo is very familiar...I think maybe "Saturday Night Live" used it for a season or two.

Interesting liner notes...the people who saw "Fantasia" in 1940 or any high-profile film after 1953 or so might be very surprised to learn that surround sound debuted in 1977! Come to think of it, quad fans might be a bit surprised, too...

I seem to recall these. Wasn't this the precursor to Dolby Surround?

Back