Hu-Wei Records Taiwan SQ Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
This is a list of recordings on vinyl that were marketed in Taiwan by Hu-Wei Records
with notations that indicate "SQ" and may be Quadraphonic.
Status on these being Quadraphonic has not yet been determined due to
language barriers and not owning the recordings for testing and evaluation.
Titles that list "SQ" use a different font than usual and make no mention of CBS,
the license owner. Because of these differences, there is some doubt that they are
indeed Quadraphonic.
Artists names and album titles may contain errors due to translation therefore
record company names and catalog numbers are the best way of tracking these
recordings. This list is sorted by record companies and catalog numbers.
The record companies listed followed copyright law in most cases and some
exist to this day and are members of Music Publishing Associations.

<a href="https://www.discogs.com/label/1049105-Hu-Wei-Records">Hu-Wei Records</a>

HT-721 Yu Qianqian -a song for mom. Hu-Wei Records HT-721 (SQ) [Taiwan]

HW-607 Dragon Fluttering -Night. Hu-Wei Records HW-607 (SQ) [Taiwan]

HW-611 Li Chien-hui -Unknown. Hu-Wei HW-611 (SQ) [Taiwan]

HW-611 Li Chien-hui -Unknown. Hu-Wei HW-611 (SQ) [Taiwan]
Li Chien-hui -Unknown. Hu-Wei HW-611 (SQ) [Taiwan] A.jpg

Li Chien-hui -Unknown. Hu-Wei HW-611 (SQ) [Taiwan] B.jpg

Li Chien-hui -Unknown. Hu-Wei HW-611 (SQ) [Taiwan] C.jpg

Here is a question anyone know if Quad playback equipment was even sold in Taiwan? Did any recording studios thee have encoders? Perhaps there were industry publications there that could shed some light.....
Otherwise you have to wonder if this was just labeling.
I am aware of the practice of used discarded Japanese stampers being used in Taiwan for CD4...

I have to admit that I have never heard of any Chinese or Taiwanese quad equipment. As to the stampers, I understand some where actually made by plating Japanese discs and making "inferior" stampers. I had a Malaysian compilation that looked a lot like these Chinese/Taiwanese LP's and had music never released in matrix quad. I wish I still had it but it was lost in a move over a decade ago.

Wow, now I see 8 track players. Does that mean that there might also be Taiwanese tapes too? I see speakers that look like Electrohome satelites too.

I would think that most if not all 4-channel equipment in Taiwan would come from the major manufacturers and what I have seen has been Denon, Sanyo and Otto when crusing Taiwan auction sites. As for encoders, Sansui gear you could get anywhere so a QS encoder or a EV encoder what not seem out of the question. I think SQ might be a little harder with Licensing and logo requirements but hey, they could have borrowed it from a friend in Japan!

Last edited:
I have not seen any 4-channel tapes from Taiwan. Does not mean they do not exists. Vinyl seemed to be the most affordable and widely adapted format.

Back