HiRez Poll Hues Corporation, The - ROCKIN' SOUL & LOVE CORPORATION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Hues Corporation - ROCKIN' SOUL & LOVE CORPORATION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Last edited:
Voted 8. It's a fun disc. Some great tunes. It has mostly backing vocals, percussion, the occasional brass and even the rare (dry) lead vocal coming from the back. Rock The Boat has the least action from the surrounds sadly. On the whole, not the most exciting quad mix in the DV series, but musically clearly among my favourites so far. Many thanks to steelydave, Mike Dutton and whoever was involved for freeing this one from the vaults. Hope there will be more of this sort.

I voted a nine on this one. Excellent music, Nice mixes overall, and solid fidelity. A couple of mix choices here and there dropped this from being a 10 but I'm a stingy grader. Any Hues Corporation album is worth owning and in Quad it is a no brainer. Especially given the value D/V has offered here. The liner notes are excellent as always. Not a fan of the group? Pick these up and you will be!! They really remain vastly underrated in my book.

I just received my copy in yesterday's post and am now basking in it :)

As others have noted, the material's presentation is very faithful to the original - no added futzing with EQ or channel volume levels, a welcome tactic. Be faithful to the music! The mix is very discrete, with vocals up front and isolated instruments in the back. It's a relaxed mix; no ping-ponging (but RCA was never known for those to begin with).

I rate this one an 8, overall - 10 for audio quality (great mastering job), and 7 for content. The Hues Corporation were the same sort of pop-soul as the Fifth Dimension and Main Ingredient - designed more for Top 40 crossover than to serve the deep-soul audience. Anytime you have a soul album involving Larry Carlton and Michael Omartian, you know it's going to be smoothed over a bit :)

Overall I'm very glad to have this. It's a great addition to the collection.

I have given it a 9. An 8 with an extra point for the presentation (liner notes, recording info etc) and overall quality of the product and the fact that it has 'Rock the boat'. I appreciate DV's efforts to get such material out there.

I had to vote 7 on this one. Not real fond of the music, although there a few i enjoy, and of course Rock the boat is great. I liked the first album more than the second one. The sound quality is fantastic, sounds really good. I thought the quad mix was average though.

I didn't really have high hopes for this as I never cared for the hit "Rock The Boat", however it's nearly impossible to resist purchasing all of the DV Quad 2-fer's, especially for the price! I noticed the CD-4's for sale on eBay and was actually considering them before this release showed up. Checking around I've come to think that Discogs is a better place to purchase vinyl than eBay, I've purchased several CD-4's from there lately. I was quite impressed with the sound quality the mix and even the content, it's early seventies type soul. "Rock The Boat" has added elements that I don't recall or that you couldn't notice on AM radio. All and all a very enjoyable disc, I'll give it an 8.

I’ll give it a “7”. Typically very good DV mastering and packaging and value. But these aren’t great albums and the quad mix is a bit lackluster.

I like “Love Corporation” better than “Rockin’ Soul”. Sounds more cohesive as they seem to know more what sort of sound they are going for here. But this sure seems to be coming from the era of where producers were still looking to fill albums more than anything. But hey! There are 10 tracks on each one!

Some nice moments, but really not more than 4-5 tunes from both albums that are doing much for me. I doubt I’ll be playing this one too often.

But keep releasing these 70s pop and R&B quad titles and I’ll keep buying them!

It would be my guess and from the way ALL D~V QUADS sound on my system that Michael Dutton exercises a hands~off philosophy in transferring the QUAD masters he is presented with without ANY attempt at EQ, further noise reduction or mucking with the volume levels...as opposed to a certain other reissue company who shall not be named.

Would love to know what tape deck he utilizes for the transfers.......STUDER?

Perhaps, sjcorne, the variances you are detecting could've been a result of how the original QUAD masters were encoded to SQ Vinyl or transferred to Q8 by those 70's engineers, and/or the limitations imposed by those formats.

IMO, D~V is producing some of the most astounding QUAD SACD transfers from 1970's QUAD masters that this listener has had the pleasure of 'experiencing,' which is why I have bestowed upon Mr. Dutton the moniker: The Wizard of Watford.

To achieve what this man has accomplished in such a short period of time is nothing short of a miracle and I have a 'fuzzy' feeling inside THAT THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!
Not a good thing at all. Many quad mixes NEED remastering. If the bass is lacking, why would you not wanted it boosted?

Judiciously is the term I would use for his remastering...

juicily! ohh yes! good enough to eat! nom nom nom 😝

now where are my spectacles 🤓

ahh.. he remasters.. judiciously! 👍

yes! that is true! 'tis a sympathetic hand at the controls! 💅

really, more seriously, whatever he does, for my money much of what he's done that i've heard knocks spots off many 'CD' releases of the 'same old' 70's material i've bought over the years.

The O'Jays' "Survival" is a case in point, i absolutely cannot wait to hear DV's take on that one.. setting the excitement at the inclusion of the Quad to one side for a mo., i've at least 3 CDs of that album and they all came over like old fishballs squeezed through fishnet tights! a bad case of Shit Ahoy rockin' the boat bay-bee!! ⚓🧐😉

Just got this one in my latest big batch from DV. I found it to be "nice." Nothing earth shattering in the music or the mix, just very pleasant to listen to. A little disappointed that the rears aren't a little more active, but it's much better than quad releases that have just a little reverb going on. And I realize that DV doesn't really change the mix, just tweaks it.

Overall, very happy with this. It's happy music. :)

I ranked it an 8

Back