Hugo Montenegro - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I just need to confirm this before I start thinking I'm going nuts. Is the Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra - Music from A Firstful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, actually a double stereo fake quad release? I've been going through my Montenegro collection lately, and was starting up some conversions, and after playing in my Japanese cd-4 of this release, noticed I had double stereo. My first thought was demodulating issues. I went and double checked, everything was calibrated, and I tested another record, which played fine. I had just recorded in my Best of Hugo Montenegro reel in, so I knew 3 of these songs on this album did in fact have discreet quad mixes done. So, still puzzled, I went to the archive of cd-rs, and pulled out Tab's conversion from Q8. Sure enough, I seem to be hearing double stereo from that as well. Although, would Tab have gone to the trouble for double stereo? Is there something I'm missing? I'm pretty sure at this point it's a double stereo release, except that I'm really scratching my head over this one. I can understand a Q8 double stereo release, we've seen these before several times, but a cd-4 double stereo release? Why would they? Am I nuts, or is this in fact what is going on?

I just realized something. If this is the case, which I'm pretty darn sure it is, then that would mean in theory, if the front channels and back channels are identical.....that would mean the carrier signal on this record would be empty, wouldn't it? It would just be a pure carrier, since the front back difference would cancel each other out. Is it just me, or is this absolutely hillarious (except for the part where I paid money for this record) that RCA Japan would go to the trouble to release a double stereo cd-4 record. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, my Friends of Distinction Grazin' RCA Japan CD-4 has the front and back right channels swapped. Plus, it's an awful quad mix, not really worth bothering with releasing on cd-4. Not that that stopped me from buying it.

Back