I am totally new here, but a Jim Fosgate fan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWiz

My name is Mike, and Ive been addicted to quad and/or surround for 20 years. I am a member of the Audio Engineering Society and an archivist. Also a professor at Utah Valley in the Digital Media department in all things Audio recording and preservation. I own a recording studio where I record new bands (look up Neon Trees and Queenadilla for fun (as of yet) only stereo releases, tho they expand nicely in DPL-II) and old bands from 1899 forward. I am working on a Spike Jones documentary, and a Jim Fosgate documentary, which is why I joined this group.
All this week Ive been at the Library of Congress learning the latest practices in restoration, where I met Carl in this group, who directed me to join this group.
I was merely wanting to get Jim Fosgate videos of inventions deposited in the AES Historical archives. I was generally surprised at the lack of lack of knowledge even at AES of Jim’s inventions. There’s videos of other famous folks at AES but not Jim. I did not finish the project and sadly my last video of him was only weeks before he passed. What myself and Richard McLean produced before covid, we put up on youtube as Inventions of Jim Fosgate just before his memoriam. Obviously not complete, I’m here to ask questions and gather stories and input to further the stories.

My name is Mike, and Ive been addicted to quad and/or surround for 20 years. I am a member of the Audio Engineering Society and an archivist. Also a professor at Utah Valley in the Digital Media department in all things Audio recording and preservation. I own a recording studio where I record new bands (look up Neon Trees and Queenadilla for fun (as of yet) only stereo releases, tho they expand nicely in DPL-II) and old bands from 1899 forward. I am working on a Spike Jones documentary, and a Jim Fosgate documentary, which is why I joined this group.
All this week Ive been at the Library of Congress learning the latest practices in restoration, where I met Carl in this group, who directed me to join this group.
I was merely wanting to get Jim Fosgate videos of inventions deposited in the AES Historical archives. I was generally surprised at the lack of lack of knowledge even at AES of Jim’s inventions. There’s videos of other famous folks at AES but not Jim. I did not finish the project and sadly my last video of him was only weeks before he passed. What myself and Richard McLean produced before covid, we put up on youtube as Inventions of Jim Fosgate just before his memoriam. Obviously not complete, I’m here to ask questions and gather stories and input to further the stories.
Ahoy & welcome aboard Mike! Always a pleasure to meet another Wiz.
Your Fosgate project sounds fascinating. It's a real bonus for you to join us. And thanks to whoever Carl is.

Just to clarify it's not finished but still active? If you have any YT links to those videos please post. One of the things wanted to see is a time line of all the Fosgate products and companies. He had advertised products that only prototypes that were never produced, car audio, selling out to HK Citation etc. Wow!

So what Fosgate products do you own??

In theory, I will own all of his products and prototypes. Not me personally, but Utah Valley University. As a result of our work with him, documenting everything, he named us in his will, to include all that and some paperwork, circuit layout artwork, etc. I have some personal items he gave to me. The deal is not transferred as of yet. Legal stuff tbd. So I do not yet know what I will receive in the end, but I intend to put it on display and make it accessible to the public. Also the functional items will be put to use in the classroom, studio and listening rooms, and used in the Restoration of vinyl records (quads incl). I hope to do a Library of Congress kind of thing, having occasional demos as we restore items and bring them on line. I will need to lean on some of you. So I hope this is welcome news to this community. Cross your fingers all goes well.

If you’re looking for inventions, the Patent Office ( www.uspto.gov ) allows searches of all existing patents and many applications by named inventors.

Like the others, I welcome you to the mess we’ve created, and I would love to see and hear the results of your work.

Tad Patterson may have some information or contacts he could share with you. He has a website, but I haven't talked to him in a long time, so I don't know if he is still active.

https://www.4channelsound.com/about.htm

Glad to see that Jim Fosgate is to be remembered in such a good way. Two products that come to mind are two that I have, the Fosgate Model 101A Tate II Surround Processor known for its superior SQ decoding, and the "Fozgometer", an Azimuth Range Meter for properly adjusting the positioning of the phono cartridge on the tonearm; MUSICAL SURROUNDINGS Fozgometer V2 | Products | Musical Surroundings

If you come across the Service Manual for the Tate II processor, please post it on this website, very hard to find manual.

Ahoy & welcome aboard Mike! Always a pleasure to meet another Wiz.
Your Fosgate project sounds fascinating. It's a real bonus for you to join us. And thanks to whoever Carl is.

Just to clarify it's not finished but still active? If you have any YT links to those videos please post. One of the things wanted to see is a time line of all the Fosgate products and companies. He had advertised products that only prototypes that were never produced, car audio, selling out to HK Citation etc. Wow!

So what Fosgate products do you own??
Jim did produce the Gavotte, and Gavotte II, which were car audio surround processors. They used his 360 degree Space Matrix, which was RM-based, and logic assisted. I had the Gavotte, then upgraded to the Gavotte II, in a 1986 Honda Civic hatchback. It was an amazing product for its time.

Glad to see that Jim Fosgate is to be remembered in such a good way. Two products that come to mind are two that I have, the Fosgate Model 101A Tate II Surround Processor known for its superior SQ decoding, and the "Fozgometer", an Azimuth Range Meter for properly adjusting the positioning of the phono cartridge on the tonearm; MUSICAL SURROUNDINGS Fozgometer V2 | Products | Musical Surroundings

If you come across the Service Manual for the Tate II processor, please post it on this website, very hard to find manual.
Good to know. Ill keep an eye out for the manual.

Not exactly a service manual but the schematics are here thanks to furui_suterioo.

Attachments

• Schaltplan-Tate-II-Teil1.pdf
    684.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Schaltplan-Tate-II-Teil2.pdf
    783.5 KB · Views: 0
neen looking for these for ages! I have a Tate with a dead right-front, and had no idea where to start troubleshooting.
Robert Popham, while no longer actually working since nearly dying due to COVID in Jan / Feb, is a great resource to simply talk to. He can probably provide a lot of troubleshooting insight. He was willing last year to speak with my local tech to help get my Tate refreshed. I ended up just sending it to Robert. Anyway, he is a fantastic gentlemen and would probably be willing to discuss your unit. I know each time I've spoken to him, it's generally a very nice discussion and if desired, a great deal of history can be had. If interested, PM and I'll provide his number.

Apologies, I am assuming his name would be recognized by all! Lol. He started with Audionics and the Composer and ended up working with Jim Fosgate and the Tate. He knows the circuit by memory I bet.

Not exactly a service manual but the schematics are here thanks to furui_suterioo.
FWIW, I actually sent these to Robert Popham some time back to see if they were legit. He told me they were not correct and doubted the authenticity for a couple of reasons. But who knows, he might have been sly about the issue.....

😁

FunFoz Fact: an active version of the Fozgometer was built into one of his phono pre’s. It’s called the Foz XTR for crosstalk reduction and is available at Black Ice Audio. It can correct up to a 7 Degree error in azimuth, along with other latest FOZ amps and pre’s. His final project, which came out after he passed away, is the Aries headphone amp which takes ambient stereo files and expands them into a dolby-atmos-like mix (which can be recorded from the line outs). It does it using a circuit that does not have any resemblance to Dolby Pro Logic II. He recommends it for sufferers of PTSD, which he developed for himself.

FWIW, I actually sent these to Robert Popham some time back to see if they were legit. He told me they were not correct and doubted the authenticity for a couple of reasons. But who knows, he might have been sly about the issue.....

😁
There will be a boatload of Foz circuit diagrams, layouts and possibly notebooks in my possession in about a month. Could be very useful? I hope.

Back