I bought a new quad reel deck and did not know it was my holy grail deck until I got it home!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

400 Club - QQ All-Star
As a confessed quadraholic, I've been watching a couple of teac quad reel decks in a pawn shop for about a year but they wanted too much money for either of them, so I passed. One of them was a 7 1/2 inch machine and the other was a behemoth 10 1/2 inch machine. Just the other day I went into the pawn shop because everything was half price (going out of business). They only had the behemoth machine left. I had wanted the smaller unit but since my 4 akai quad reel decks had all quit working, I went ahead and looked at the heads on the big machine. They looked clean and shiny and so did the entire tape path. All of the transport controls worked and there was movement in all 4 meters when I played a tape so I offered a low ball figure and the owner accepted. I got it home and hooked it up and it not only sounded great in all 4 channels, it was the most beautiful machine I've ever seen. The front of the unit is amazing with it's simplicity. I want a simple deck because the more you get on these things the more there is to go wrong. Don't want no dual capstain, output level controls, 3/34 speed, bi directional play yadda yadda yadda on a quad deck. But I might make use of the 15 1/2 ips speed for those $300 prerecorded tapes being made! This deck has the minimum of controls needed to do what I want it to do, which is rewind my play back my 100 plus quad reel tapes of recordings lovingly transferred from Q'8's and CD-4's. I also have a nice collection of original pre- recorded Q'4's. Only 4 record pots to clean and a huge capstain coupled with fast rewind. And the motors and power transformer are HUGE!. If you haven't guessed, its a Teac 40-4. I immediately pulled the dbx module off from under the unit because Il'l never use it and the deck looks great without it it inmo. With my 10 1/2 black teac original take up reel set against the chrome front of the deck, the look is amazing. I just ordered some deoxit because even though the record light comes on the unit doesn't erase or record. I suspect it needs cleaning as there was a similar post in regards to a 40-4 with the same issue. I really don't care that much if I cant get it to record because I already have most everything I want on tape. I am concerned about lubrication of the motors and can find no oiling tubes anywhere on the machine. There is also a slight squeak coming from somewhere which I haven't nailed down (only in playback). Without a tape playing, all functions are quiet and fast with no noise. My question is regarding the record function. Are there recording contacts somewhere that need to be cleaned or will cleaning the record button contacts possibly do the job. Any ideas about finding the slight squeak? The only person I would trust with working on this deck is skywave, but Chicago is just too far away. I tried to attach photo but could not get it to work.

Last edited:
It's been ages since I used R2R, but I found that occasionally the tape would rub on the reel, causing a squeak. Of course, that happened in both playback and recording, so maybe that's not your issue.

In my case, the reel was the problem, and replacing it fixed it. But it could be an alignment problem with the reel as well.

Believe it or not, I got a 7" reel machine when I was 7! 62 years ago. Have owned and/or sold all consumer brands and a couple pro brands. My main system has ALWAYS had a reel, mostly 10".

40 - 4 is a great deck. Solid. I believe it was sold exclusively as a TASCAM deck most years. Sold through consumer channels for a couple years in early '80's. That's if my recollections are correct...

Thanks for the info Quad Linda. I'm sure I would have payed more to get one of my akai quad decks fixed. I immediately taped a couple of recent cd-4's- sabbath "paranoid" and carpenters " now and then". A week before I picked up the teac, I picked up a mint pioneer 707 which was more expensive than the 40-4. So cool. I also have Teac's x1000r and x2000r decks. But one of my favs is a black akai with an 8 track player in it -lots of fun. By the way, the paranoid cd-4's back channels really decode strongly, the best I have heard. I can't imagine the Q4 sounding any better.

We weren't an Akai dealer until long after Quad vanished. First Quad piece I bought was CR-80DSS before I was in the business. I remember Akai 2ch reel/8tk combos. Was yours an X-1800:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/x-1800sd.shtml
Akai also had a reel/8tk/cassette (all 2ch) X-2000:

https://hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Akai_X-2000_SD
I had an 1800-SD for several years, but it was impossible to get it fixed, even in the Los angeles area. Pretty cool that you could record 8-tracks, if you could find blanks. I remember figuring out where tomcut the tape so there wasn’t five minutes of blank tape before the track change.

Of course, watching the reels turn as you lisrened to the music was fun, too.

My black Akai combo reel/8trk is GX 1820 and plays the small reels. It really is a nice piece and the only one I've ever seen in more than 30 years of looking for "stuff "(when all the stereo shops went out of business my stereo shops became thrift stores and pawn shops).There aren't many pieces I will take in to get fixed because I usually have a plug and play piece to exchange, but I will take the 1820 in when the time comes. When I play an 8 track I always wonder about the person, date, and time it was last played and if they thought it would ever be played again. I don't record 8 tracks which is why I pulled my 80dss out of the loop when it started to get distortion in the front channels. I replaced it with a motorola quadraline play only deck which is made very solid, similar to the akai, and sounds just as good. When it comes time to fix the quadraline deck, It should be cheaper to fix than the 80dss.

Back