I don't listen to STEREO anymore, do you???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You realize how dangerous this is.....it's bad enough (meaning good) that I've spent a ton of money in the last 30 days on multi channel stuff...if I expand to 2 channel hi-res....oh man. Problem is - that would require a LOT of research because spending money on 2 channel is bad enough....it HAS to have top tier sound or I'd feel cheated. lol

I always want surround..BUT..in the last few months I have opened up my comfort zone to allow some great content on stereo SACD's and I love them...some of these titles are probably never going to see a surround mix and quite candidly some never should...they just wouldn't sound right..discs like Cream's Disraeli Gears(stereo and mono)...Steely Dan Countdown To Ecstasy...Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story.. The Carpenters....I love all of them...they are all SHM SACD's...and even Aja..which I bought a year ago sounds great...you need to expand that comfort zone and make some moves on the Denon...

You realize how dangerous this is.....it's bad enough (meaning good) that I've spent a ton of money in the last 30 days on multi channel stuff...if I expand to 2 channel hi-res....oh man. Problem is - that would require a LOT of research because spending money on 2 channel is bad enough....it HAS to have top tier sound or I'd feel cheated. lol

I have a solution for that...hehe...something I have been doing with another friend...I'll provide details in a PM..

I always want surround..BUT..in the last few months I have opened up my comfort zone to allow some great content on stereo SACD's and I love them...some of these titles are probably never going to see a surround mix and quite candidly some never should...they just wouldn't sound right..discs like Cream's Disraeli Gears(stereo and mono)...Steely Dan Countdown To Ecstasy...Rod Stewart Every Picture Tells A Story.. The Carpenters....I love all of them...they are all SHM SACD's...and even Aja..which I bought a year ago sounds great...you need to expand that comfort zone and make some moves on the Denon...

BTW...the Carpenters I mentioned is the Singles 1969-1973 SHM-SACD

I think you've got that backwards. It's the 2-ch community that needs to expand THEIR comfort zone. MY comfort zone has and is already expanded. I've been listening to 2-ch stereo forever. 99% of the music out there is 2-ch only. We have no choice. However; on the 1% of the music that I do have a Mch choice. The Mch version is by far the better listening experience. So, I can't agree with your view that some should never see a surround mix. I'd like to hear those surround mixes first before ruling them out.

But...at the same time, let me say that I understand the importance of keeping the integrity of the original recording and also offering it to the public in the best possible sound. 2-ch stereo can sound good. And for a lot of people, it's good enough. But, I don't feel we should settle for good enough.

I think you got that backward. It's the 2-ch community that needs to expand THEIR comfort zone. MY comfort zone has and is already expanded. I've been listening to 2-ch stereo forever. 99% of the music out there is 2-ch only. We have no choice. However; on the 1% of the music that I do have a Mch choice. The Mch version is by far the better listening experience. So, I can't agree with your view that some should never see a surround mix. I'd like to hear those surround mixes first before ruling them out.

But...at the same time, let me say that I understand the importance of keeping the integrity of the original recording and also offering it to the public in the best possible sound. 2-ch stereo can sound good. And for a lot of people, it's good enough. But, I don't feel we should settle for good enough.

Actually if you are in this "hobby" long enough you will run out of good surround discs...then what are you going to do?...just keep playing the same ones over and over again...no..you are going to look for alternatives.. and when some of your favorite albums come out in a non surround format are you just going to sit back and not buy one....and there is a HUGE difference between 2 channel recordings...there are some very dynamic recordings that find their way onto hi rez discs and then there are the compressed/bright CD's that seem to rule the day NOW...actually a lot of the older recordings sound their best in mono...not just my opinion...pretty much a fact...and also you can expand some of the better stereo material with your receiver or if you have some other processing equipment like a surround master you can achieve some pretty good results...sure..in a perfect world I would only purchase surround recordings...and that is my preference...but I don't live in that world..so I adapt:).....in fact I'm waiting for the postal service to grace me with a delivery today of a 3 channel surround and some mono songs of Nat King Cole...and I'm guessing those mono songs will sound awesome too...along with the 3 channel ones...just saying..if you become an "only surround" music listener and never consider any options you will become as bad as those at the SH forum who are stereo fanatics and won't consider surround options...just saying...gotta have balance...

Actually if you are in this "hobby" long enough you will run out of good surround discs...then what are you going to do?...just keep playing the same ones over and over again...no..you are going to look for alternatives.. and when some of your favorite albums come out in a non surround format are you just going to sit back and not buy one....and there is a HUGE difference between 2 channel recordings...there are some very dynamic recordings that find their way onto hi rez discs and then there are the compressed/bright CD's that seem to rule the day NOW...actually a lot of the older recordings sound their best in mono...not just my opinion...pretty much a fact...and also you can expand some of the better stereo material with your receiver or if you have some other processing equipment like a surround master you can achieve some pretty good results...sure..in a perfect world I would only purchase surround recordings...and that is my preference...but I don't live in that world..so I adapt:).....in fact I'm waiting for the postal service to grace me with a delivery today of a 3 channel surround and some mono songs of Nat King Cole...and I'm guessing those mono songs will sound awesome too...along with the 3 channel ones...just saying..if you become an "only surround" music listener and never consider any options you will become as bad as those at the SH forum who are stereo fanatics and won't consider surround options...just saying...gotta have balance...

I can live with that...and in fact I do. :eek:

There are too many recordings and too much music out there that I've gotta hear. And you'd probably be correct in saying that nobody is going to bother remixing the vast majority of them into 5.1...even if they were allowed to.

I'm just saying give them a chance. It might not be a perfect world. But there's no harm in trying to make it a better one. :spot

yeah - I agree with Clint....all valid points though. I'm still having a lot of fun with surround....I will cautiously tip-toe around the 2 channel hi-res discs. lmao

I can live with that...and in fact I do. :eek:

There are too many recordings and too much music out there that I've gotta hear. And you'd probably be correct in saying that nobody is going to bother remixing the vast majority of them into 5.1...even if they were allowed to.

I'm just saying give them a chance. It might not be a perfect world. But there's no harm in trying to make it a better one. :spot

All I'm saying is that you can have both of them....see what I mean...both is better than just one...if you feel guilty about buying non surround material then just keep it on the "down low"...I certainly won't tell anyone...me...I'm doing both...and not ashamed to admit that I'm liking both...btw..I'm listening to some vintage Fleetwood Mac right now... Then Play On..and I will be putting on Tusk next...and yesterday I almost reached a massive orgasm while listening to my 1987 CD of Tango In The Night...I say "almost" because the phone rang and I got "audio"interruptus....since I want to hear those Fleetwood Mac classics the 2 channel way is the only way...I'm not about to give up those classic songs in the name of surround integrity....I'll just live with the stigma...LOL...

According to IMDb it was released in 4-track stereo. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074851/?ref_=nv_sr_1

And the period in which it was made makes 4-track seem likely, but that's why Criterion's Blu-ray is so odd. They didn't go for discrete four-track and gave no indication that the 2.0 track should be decoded. I wouldn't be surprised if no 4-track elements survived, but it would be nice to know.

Everything sounds better, to me, through a decoder and all four speakers. Even mono. I like the music "in the room" with me, not coming from speakers on one side of the room.

Doug

And the period in which it was made makes 4-track seem likely, but that's why Criterion's Blu-ray is so odd. They didn't go for discrete four-track and gave no indication that the 2.0 track should be decoded. I wouldn't be surprised if no 4-track elements survived, but it would be nice to know.
Blu-ray.com lists it as LPCM 2.0.

The Man Who Fell to Earth Blu-rayUnited States 5541026
DigiPack / The Criterion Collection
Criterion | 1976 | 139 min | Rated R | Dec 16, 2008

Audio
English: LPCM 2.0 (48kHz, 24-bit)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-Who-Fell-to-Earth-Blu-ray/1194/

All I'm saying is that you can have both of them....see what I mean...both is better than just one...if you feel guilty about buying non surround material then just keep it on the "down low"...I certainly won't tell anyone...me...I'm doing both...and not ashamed to admit that I'm liking both...btw..I'm listening to some vintage Fleetwood Mac right now... Then Play On..and I will be putting on Tusk next...and yesterday I almost reached a massive orgasm while listening to my 1987 CD of Tango In The Night...I say "almost" because the phone rang and I got "audio"interruptus....since I want to hear those Fleetwood Mac classics the 2 channel way is the only way...I'm not about to give up those classic songs in the name of surround integrity....I'll just live with the stigma...LOL...

Guilty!? Ashamed!? Stigma!? Who the heck is ashamed!? Do you members here really worry about a "stereo" stigma!?

Personally, I could care less what anyone thinks about me listening to stereo.

Now, IF you are satisfied with the Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD in 2-ch stereo, I am happy for you. No need to feel guilty.

However... I am NOT satisfied with that SHM-SACD! Granted it is a very good reissue of the 2-ch mix...that btw... is already available in so many other reissued versions. To me, that SHM-SACD's soundstage is cramped and the band still sounds like they are playing in a closet or something. The vocals, guitars, keyboards, drums... Everyone is on top of each other. This is the inherent weakness with 2-ch stereo. No matter how good the analogue to DSD remaster has been done, the soundstage of 2-ch stereo is narrow and artificial compared to 5.1. Sorry, but I don't buy into the view that the Phantom Center adds enough to stereo's soundstage to compensate for this. 5.1's center channel adds a completely new spacial dimension, which gives the recording an open, natural soundstage.

I'll agree that we have to live with stereo. And I unashamedly do listen to lots of stereo recordings. But...that doesn't mean I am content or happy living under 2-ch's restrictive dominance of the music industry. I, for one, am done apologizing for my musical tastes and how I choose to listen to that music.

Guilty!? Ashamed!? Stigma!? Who the heck is ashamed!? Do you members here really worry about a "stereo" stigma!?

Personally, I could care less what anyone thinks about me listening to stereo.

Now, IF you are satisfied with the Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD in 2-ch stereo, I am happy for you. No need to feel guilty.

However... I am NOT satisfied with that SHM-SACD! Granted it is a very good reissue of the 2-ch mix...that btw... is already available in so many other reissued versions. To me, that SHM-SACD's soundstage is cramped and the band still sounds like they are playing in a closet or something. The vocals, guitars, keyboards, drums... Everyone is on top of each other. This is the inherent weakness with 2-ch stereo. No matter how good the analogue to DSD remaster has been done, the soundstage of 2-ch stereo is narrow and artificial compared to 5.1. Sorry, but I don't buy into the view that the Phantom Center adds enough to stereo's soundstage to compensate for this. 5.1's center channel adds a completely new spacial dimension, which gives the recording an open, natural soundstage.

I'll agree that we have to live with stereo. And I unashamedly do listen to lots of stereo recordings. But...that doesn't mean I am content or happy living under 2-ch's restrictive dominance of the music industry. I, for one, am done apologizing for my musical tastes and how I choose to listen to that music.

Dude...I'll be brief...did you notice the LOL after stigma...it was a joke...again...the point is you try to get the best version available...obviously not perfection...but the best available...if that's 2 channel...it's ok with me...I'm not waiting around for something that might never happen...and if it does happen I will buy the better version...that's all...again...a real world approach....

I'm done...that's all I have on the topic...

If I have a choice I will select the surround version of the disk I have chosen to listen too in the highest resolution on that disk. I have some disks with highly praised stereo mixes which I have never listened to at all.

However if I am a mood for an artist then I will pick on the artist, I have the first four Gabriel in stereo SACD so have no choice but to listen in that mode.

I have tried to use fake quad and don't like it as a novelty.

So essentially I pick by artist, resolution, mix in that order.

I have some disks bought because of the reputation that I just do not like at all and no matter what mix were on them at whatever resolution I just do not play them. Hell of an expensive hobby when that happens.

Dude...I'll be brief...did you notice the LOL after stigma...it was a joke...again...the point is you try to get the best version available...obviously not perfection...but the best available...if that's 2 channel...it's ok with me...I'm not waiting around for something that might never happen...and if it does happen I will buy the better version...that's all...again...a real world approach....

I'm done...that's all I have on the topic...

Don't worry. I'm not frustrated with you or your real world approach. Thanks for your reply!

As I mentioned, I basically do the same. Not much choice really. And to be sure, there are decent stereo recordings to choose from.

I just feel we can & should be asking more from these companies that are producing $40 stereo reissues.

I mean really... $40 stereo!? Is this the reality we want?

I listened to stereo a good chunk of my life so it will always be precious for me. But, I love to run my stereo recordings through my Surround Master. It's so interesting to hear the results on many of them. Pure stereo only listening today is confined to headphones which I still listen to often. It's all good if the music is great.
Phil.

I listened to stereo a good chunk of my life so it will always be precious for me. But, I love to run my stereo recordings through my Surround Master. It's so interesting to hear the results on many of them. Pure stereo only listening today is confined to headphones which I still listen to often. It's all good if the music is great.
Phil.

I'm thinking of getting a surround master in the future...is it better than the "modes" on your receiver?..any advice in that area?

Back