I Fear The Worst

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible that D-V is adjusting how they release titles, by letting them out one or two at a time, spread out over the course of the year instead of large batches all at once? That would seem more reasonable for purposes of a steady production flow.
I would personally prefer that - now I’m having a hard time catching up :)

STOP THE FREAKING DOOM AND GLOOM! :eek::oops::eek:

This is NOT an Audio Fidelity repeat! You will have to trust me on this one. (Sure, I know you all trusted me on the Doobies Quadio, but that's still out there somewhere although I can tell you that it should have been out by now - so who knows?)

Anyway, worry about the Quadio, don't worry about D-V. K?

It's cool. Many more to come.

Given Sony's announcement and the fact that DV is a third party I don't see how there is any other possible way to take it.

Maybe the upside is that Sony is planning worldwide self distribution of the product in question. That could work out pretty well.

Maybe DV didn't sell much of the last batch judging by comments here and they are just riding out time trying to unload some of them before more desirable titles are put up for sale.

I hate to be the kind of guy who suggests people don't talk about something, but honestly can we stick a fork in this? Not speaking as any kind of representative for D-V here, but if you review all of the publicly available facts, this is a storm in a teacup.

1. There was a post on the FilmScoreMonthly discussion board that suggested Sony had sent out a letter to some third party licensees that they were ending their licenses. Sony has not made (and I'm sure won't make) any public comments on the matter. If you're actually interested in what's going on, it's worth reading the entirety (all 9 pages) of that thread so you at least know what's going on in full before you start freaking out, because there is some good information in there.
  2. The thread about the same subject at stevehoffman.tv also contains some information from someone (PhantomStranger) who appears to be an insider. Again, worth reading in its entirety (or at least his posts) if you want a bit more info. If you can't be bothered, the upshot is that a handful of low-volume reissue labels have admitted that Sony has pulled their licenses, but the list is short, including the couple mentioned in the FSM thread, and Iconoclassic records which admitted their licenses had been pulled in one of the Guess Who threads at sh.tv. PhantomStranger seems to suggest that these labels licensed so few titles (and titles that sold so few copies) that with all the legal and admin costs involved in licensing that Sony was actually losing money, so can you blame them? He also said that the economic situation in Europe (where streaming hasn't taken off to the same degree as the US) meant that reissue labels overseas weren't affected by the decision. I hate to state the obvious, but D-V isn't located in the US, and they probably license 10x more content a year than all of those soundtrack reissue labels and Iconoclassic (and Intervention and Analog Spark, who also seem to have closed up shop) combined.
  3. JonUrban told people not to worry.
  4. Brian Moura told people not to worry.
  5. Dutton Vocalion's sales department themselves told a QQ member (sorry, can't find the post to hyperlink) that more was on the way and not to worry.

I get that people get uneasy whenever there's a sea change, but his isn't some grand conspiracy to trick people in to thinking that there are more discs coming when there actually aren't. Presuming the worst might help you temper your own expectations, but continuing to wildly speculate about the worst possible outcomes can only have a negative impact, especially in this "fake news" era. Speculation here can easily get reported somewhere else as "people on QQ are saying that Sony cancelled D-V's licensing!" and then someone there takes that speculation and pastes it somewhere else, and before you know it the entire internet is saying that the company is out of business or something.

I believe Tomita owns all of his master tapes.

D-V's releases of Tomita's Daphnis et Chloe and Firebird both bear Sony copyrights and phonographic copyrights so I'd say that isn't the case.

Back