I found this 5.1 source selector box for $90 shipped. A winner or not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doity

400 Club - QQ All-Star
On Alibaba or whatever it is called. Never shopped there but it seems legit. It seems to be a simple 5.1 audio source selector with 2 in’s and 1 out with remote switching. Kind of like the Zektor switch thing which is impossible to find. I do have one of those Philips cheapo passive units that is all right but I seem to always have swapped channels when using, even though I go to great pains in using the same input(s) in/out.

Anyone want to check this out and see if it is a good alternative to the non-existent Zektor switches? There seems to be a finished version and a unfinished version offered. Obviously the finished version is three times the price.

US $21.16 8% OFF|5.1 channel audio switcher 2 input 1 output audio input selector 5.1CH audio switcher board|Amplifier| - AliExpress

On Alibaba or whatever it is called. Never shopped there but it seems legit. It seems to be a simple 5.1 audio source selector with 2 in’s and 1 out with remote switching. Kind of like the Zektor switch thing which is impossible to find. I do have one of those Philips cheapo passive units that is all right but I seem to always have swapped channels when using, even though I go to great pains in using the same input(s) in/out.

Anyone want to check this out and see if it is a good alternative to the non-existent Zektor switches? There seems to be a finished version and a unfinished version offered. Obviously the finished version is three times the price.

US $21.16 8% OFF|5.1 channel audio switcher 2 input 1 output audio input selector 5.1CH audio switcher board|Amplifier| - AliExpress
Nifty! I like relay switching. But... a bunch of holes to drill for sure if you put it in a box.

I see there is also a remote control version.

As well as one installed in a box.

Might help all the folks looking for the out-of-production Zektor.

Yeah I think I am gonna go for one. Even though it only has 2 inputs it is great for my receiver which only has one tape in. So it goes one higher.

Well I went ahead and ordered one. It was only $92 including shipping which is not bad considering it comes with remote. I haven’t even been using my Philips switch lately as I got frustrated with it. Every time I used it the thing would slide around as it is so light. And it really is not made for surround sound but for video, but it does have stereo inputs. I know it is basically a pass-through device but I always had wonky channel placement no matter how careful I was hooking up devices to it.

Well I went ahead and ordered one. It was only $92 including shipping which is not bad considering it comes with remote. I haven’t even been using my Philips switch lately as I got frustrated with it. Every time I used it the thing would slide around as it is so light. And it really is not made for surround sound but for video, but it does have stereo inputs. I know it is basically a pass-through device but I always had wonky channel placement no matter how careful I was hooking up devices to it.
Yes, but channel placement was "your" fault for not getting it right at setup. Any device will give you that issue if not set up correctly. You are right, it's a light unit.

But anyway I must have three inputs, having only two just will not cut it with those of us with several 5.1 players going analog input to one receiver.

At least the cheap Philips unit does it's just well.

Yes, but channel placement was "your" fault for not getting it right at setup. Any device will give you that issue if not set up correctly. You are right, it's a light unit.

But anyway I must have three inputs, having only two just will not cut it with those of us with several 5.1 players going analog input to one receiver.

At least the cheap Philips unit does it's just well.

You are right. For most people this would not work as the number of inputs is lacking. But for someone like me it is fine and better than constantly switching out my source(s) from the receiver. I only really have a Q8 player and a couple of Tate/Audionics units so this is perfect for me. But for the price you could buy 2 for what they cost compared to a new Zektor, if you could even find one. But yeah I get your point.

I don’t know.....I tried a couple of times with mine and everything was hooked up right but when I ran the tests on the Popular Science Q8 the channels were swapped funny. And I made sure that all wiring was correct and did each one at a time and very methodically. I am no novice when it comes to stereo gear so that isn’t the problem.

Please let us know if it passes muster. I might be interested too-you can be our guinea pig!:sneaky:

Really cheap for a line level input switcher. Probably because all the connections are unbalanced!

If it fits the bill for a couple unbalanced output having devices, all good. I'd be wondering about noise and then look for a way to shuttle the digital signals around and land on a single DAC at the end of the chain. But that's just me. :)

The physical size of the relay switches suggests nice big contacts though, so that part looks on point.

Funny how the manufacturer printed the Dolby Digital logo on the front, probably for credibility in an unknown/unfamiliar product.

I do hope it works well and look forward to hearing your impressions. We could always use some options in 4- and 6-channel selectors like this!

Funny how the manufacturer printed the Dolby Digital logo on the front, probably for credibility in an unknown/unfamiliar product.

I do hope it works well and look forward to hearing your impressions. We could always use some options in 4- and 6-channel selectors like this!

I didn’t see that before. I think he, well I assume it is a he, had a different picture up for the completed box. It seemed to be just a plain black box with a couple of LED’s and the input switcher. This version looks a lot better but who knows? The funny thing is that I don’t even think that I will need it now since I am getting a new receiver. I ‘think’ that there are at least two 4-channel inputs on it. I know that there is the AUX input and something labeled “Playback”. What that is I don’t know? I know it it isn’t the Tape Out because those are clearly marked as such.

If your new receiver has two sets of multi-channel inputs, then not bad (also, I'd be interested to know what it is, I'm only aware of vintage equipment having multiple sets of 4-channel inputs)! But you may well find a use for your new selector box anyway. Reading your earlier post it sounds like you have a quad 8-track player plus two decoders... so, ya' never know... ;)

If your new receiver has two sets of multi-channel inputs, then not bad (also, I'd be interested to know what it is, I'm only aware of vintage equipment having multiple sets of 4-channel inputs)! But you may well find a use for your new selector box anyway. Reading your earlier post it sounds like you have a quad 8-track player plus two decoders... so, ya' never know... ;)
I need multiple inputs for my vintage 4.0 setup, so I bought 2 of these units- 1 for the front channels and one for the rear. The seller even provided custom labels for the switch positions! I believe this is pretty high quality construction. Another source quoted me almost $400 per box to provide essentially the same thing!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMA-Audio...-/193721783746?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Well I got the 5.1 switcher from China today. Took awhile but it was well packed and all there. It works great and looks good too. A modern upgrade to a very old system. You can see it next to my ‘new’ Technics 4-channel receiver that I have talked about in another thread. I think that the switcher would be a good compliment with the Involve box as they have a similar kind of look to them. Maybe? Anyway, for the price it is worth it for sure. Haven’t tried the remote yet.

95AE92D7-23A9-49CA-B75F-FFEE3CFF278F.jpeg

Well I got the 5.1 switcher from China today. Took awhile but it was well packed and all there. It works great and looks good too. Haven’t tried the remote yet.
Great to hear, this item is now cataloged in the back of my mind!

Kind of funny that the power switch is illuminated and also looks to have a separate illuminated indicator to the right of it, or at least it does on the seller's website. The face plate on your unit is slightly different, is that an indicator lamp associated with the power switch or an infrared sensor?

Last edited:
The blue lights indicate which input that you are using at any given time. The red indicator light is for power. And yes, the blue lamps are bright. Too bright for me and I am going to cover with black tape I think. They are fine during the day but at night they are a bit too much. They must use the same LED’s as the “one eyed blue monster” or whatever people jokingly refer to the light on the Surround Master 😀.

Another weird thing is that the RCA inputs on the back are red for left and white for right. I could insert some insensitive joke but will refrain ;)

Last edited:
;)
Great to hear, this item is now cataloged in the back of my mind!

Kind of funny that the power switch is illuminated and also looks to have a separate illuminated indicator to the right of it, or at least it does on the seller's website. The face plate on your unit is slightly different, is that an indicator lamp associated with the power switch or an infrared sensor?

Sorry, didn’t see this part of your question before. Could be that it is a cutout for the remote sensor, or maybe not? It almost looks like a LED lamp was made to go there but they must had integrated the light into the switch and left the hole blank. Confusing yes? That unit has had at least two different revisions since I first saw it and he has only sold a few of them. Must be a work in progress.

Last edited:
Back