I have a Tate and I'd love to use it, but...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I wish I had an Akai AS-980 receiver so that I could have a third Aux input.

It's a shame the Tate came so late to the party, it's 2-channel in, 4-channel out. But, why couldn't they have built it to be IN LINE 4-in, 4-out. Just have a bypass switch if you don't want to run things through the processor.

Y-Cables into my Aux 1 mess with the signal. I have to unplug my DVD player to get full sound. (Makes no sense to me, if the DVD player is OFF, there shouldn't be any issue.)

And there's no such thing as a 4-channel Audio switcher....

*sigh*

Anybody else run out of inputs? How did you solve it?

It's a shame the Tate came so late to the party, it's 2-channel in, 4-channel out. But, why couldn't they have built it to be IN LINE 4-in, 4-out. Just have a bypass switch if you don't want to run things through the processor.

Y-Cables into my Aux 1 mess with the signal. I have to unplug my DVD player to get full sound. (Makes no sense to me, if the DVD player is OFF, there shouldn't be any issue.)

*sigh*

Zektor switch boxes are a real problem solver for this. Mine has 4, 6ch inputs and 1, 6 ch output. There several models some with HDMI. This is similar to mine but a bit newer: Product Review - Zektor MAS7.1 Audio/HDMI Switch Another QQ poster your problem & found completely different MCH switcher on Ebay. I think it was a assembled PCB so you would have to find a case for it.

As Kirk said, the most direct choice, if you don't mind pushing 2 buttons at once, would be using 2 stereo switch boxes.

Last edited:

*sigh*

I agree. The Audionics S&IC has such a discrete input. I suspect that Fosgate wanted to keep the cost down.

One of those Component Video switchboxes will work fine as an auxiliary switch. They were available cheap with the switch to HDMI. They can switch up to five channels.

I had the same problem and bought 2 stereo switch boxes from ebay that are really nice (all metal silky smooth selector switch) and I can now hook up 4 quad sources in one input (Q4, Q8, sq decoder and cd4 decoder). If i had bought one more I could have done 5.1. Waiting for a zecktor switcher on ebay is a looooong wait (still waiting).

I'd recommend the JVC JX-66 (I have three in my system), but any component video selector should work.

I suppose a person could take out the video circuity and make it purely audio path. I wonder... how possible that could be with that unit?

The boxes being suggested here might be purposed for video plus audio hence 3 inputs for each selection. But this is completely passive switching. There is no video circuitry to be taken out.

It's a passive device, not circuitry to remove!
Oh!! Well that's perfect then! I'll look into it. Thank you.

For the time being, I did have a flash of brilliance. I completely forgot that my Dolby decoder has two inputs, one is taken up by my Q8 deck, the other just has the stereo inputs from my cassette. I decided, since the Tate has a tape monitor, I'll plug in the cassette there and set the output from the Tate into the LINE inputs on the Dolby box. Since the Dolby and the Tate have variable Input and Output, it wasn't too difficult to match levels and make everything work. For now, this will be my solution.

Just wish the Tate had an On/Off switch. I had considered removing the remote control port on the front and turning that into an On/Off switch.

Back