I Just Didn't Know

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbmmm3

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
We've all been there. Our musical taste was 'here' and we bought an album that was 'over there'. So - being young and poor - we sold said album we did not like. Then we got older - perhaps wiser - and our musical tastes changed. And perhaps we had a little bit more disposable income......so - on a whim we bought something that, earlier in life , sucked. After playing it we realized it was a great album and laughed at our youthful indiscretions.

I'll go first

The Replacements Pleased to Meet Me. I bought it because it was a CD and cds were rare in 1986. Played it. Hated it. It was not the New Orderish sound I lusted for back then. Sold it

2020. Bought it. Loved it. Laughed at my stupidity

Anyone else care to share ?

We've all been there. Our musical taste was 'here' and we bought an album that was 'over there'. So - being young and poor - we sold said album we did not like. Then we got older - perhaps wiser - and our musical tastes changed. And perhaps we had a little bit more disposable income......so - on a whim we bought something that, earlier in life , sucked. After playing it we realized it was a great album and laughed at our youthful indiscretions.

I'll go first

The Replacements Pleased to Meet Me. I bought it because it was a CD and cds were rare in 1986. Played it. Hated it. It was not the New Orderish sound I lusted for back then. Sold it

2020. Bought it. Loved it. Laughed at my stupidity

Anyone else care to share ?
The Replacements are kind of an acquired taste, or the albums are. Then they hit you. The album one earlier "Tim" strikes me as a really flat sounding one-dimensional recording, and then the songs jump out at you as their best! Really a great band and great songs. But yeah, not the New Order order of things of the period.

Brothers In Arms is a great example.

I had it when it came out but burned out with it from all the overexposure. But that exposure was pretty deserved - it's such a well crafted album, so well produced....done just in a way that the songs called for. I needed a really good long break from it and for a while was not sure I wanted to ever hear any of it again. The release of a 5.1 mix was what got me to listen again with fresh ears and I'm glad I did....I can pull it off the shelf once in a while and enjoy it all as I did when it first came out.

Ive always enjoyed Genesis. Pretty much had - and have - all their releases. But back in the late 70s and early 80s I felt that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was just too -- 'out there', too artsy fartsy. Sold my double LP for college beer money. Well- I Just Didnt Know..............thats for sure, right ? I know now

Ive always enjoyed Genesis. Pretty much had - and have - all their releases. But back in the late 70s and early 80s I felt that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was just too -- 'out there', too artsy fartsy. Sold my double LP for college beer money. Well- I Just Didnt Know..............thats for sure, right ? I know now
In college, no funds were more important than “beer money.”

As a young teen, I sneered at the Grateful Dead (go ahead, hiss). Fast forward a couple of decades and I saw them live. Wow! Living in the Bay area, I managed to see a lot of their shows, and Jerry's solo ventures, but after a few years they went downhill quickly once Jerry got back into heroin big-time (and then died), but I have a new appreciation for their older discography now. AMERICAN BEAUTY and WORKINGMAN'S DEAD are really good in surround (too bad the Vulcan hasn't done any more). We know from Wilson that it takes a group member to really mix a band well in surround.

I listen to R&B, Soul, and Jazz a lot now, whereas before not at all. All those cats can really tear it up.
I believe now I crave new genre's that are muscian and instrument based, recorded in a room together, it just sounds so much better.

I don't think I've ever sold anything I didn't like (this place tends to be a media black hole where anything that comes in never goes back out), but I can certainly remember my initial exposure to "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (via the not-quite-right U.S. version of "A Nice Pair") and thinking something like "What the hell is *this*?"

Of course, I now know the answer to that question is "A great album."

Curiously, it took me a while to warm up to "Animals" as well.

I definitely enjoy & appreciate good '80s pop music a lot more than I did back when it was happening. Can't remember if it used to offend my prog/rock sensibilities or what, but yeah probably something stupid like that. Thank god I've mellowed with age a little, in this area at least.

Back