IAA Listener's Choice Awards 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have work I should be doing today, so of course I'm procrastinating instead. So . . . for your consideration: here's my first pass at a longlist, to be whittled down later, of music I like with noteworthy surround/immersive mixes released in 2022. (Doesn't include artists/albums that I don't especially like, even if they did have noteworthy new surround mixes. I'm also leaving off high-res reissues of previously released mixes.) I've inevitably forgotten or overlooked some things, and since "2022" = Oct. 1, 2021 - Sep. 30, 2022, no doubt I'll have to remove a few titles on the technicality that they were released after the end of September.

Streaming-only – New Releases:
Adams, John Luther – Sila: The Breath of the World (Nathaniel Reichman)
Amos, Tori – Ocean to Ocean
Beyoncé – Renaissance
Björk – Fossora (Heba Kadry and Bergur Borisson)
Butcher Brown - Butcher Brown Presents Triple Trey featuring Tennishu and R4ND4ZZO BIGB4ND
Cunningham, Madison - Revealer
Drexler, Jorge – Tinta y Tiempo
FKA Twigs – Caprisongs
Greentea Peng – Greenzone 108
Hart, Mickey with Zakir Hussain & Planet Drum – In the Groove
Jeremiah, Jonathan – Horsepower for the Streets
Lake Street Dive – Obviously
Lanois, Daniel – Player, Piano
Lapid, Lyn – The Outsider
Liniker – Indigo Borboleta Anil (Ao Vivo)
London Grammar – Californian Soil
Lovett, Lyle – 12th of June (Michael Romanowsi)
M.I.A. – MATA
O’Donovan, Aoife – Age of Apathy
Phair, Liz – Soberish (Brad Wood)
Snarky Puppy – Empire Central
Spektor, Regina – Home, Before and After
Stromae – Multitude
Sudan Archives – Natural Brown Prom Queen
Tank and the Bangas – Red Balloon
VA (OST) – Minions: The Rise of Gru
Wet Leg – Wet Leg
Weyes Blood – And In the Darkness, Hearts Aglow

Streaming-only – Reissues:
Badu, Erykah – Mama’s Gun
D’Angelo – Brown Sugar
Fitzgerald, Ella – Irving Berlin Songbook
Gainsbourg, Serge – multiple albums (Poussin)
Grateful Dead – American Beauty (Steven Wilson)
John, Elton – multiple albums (Greg Penny)
Jones, Grace – Inside Story (David Frangioni)
Mitchell, Joni – multiple albums (Ken Caillat)
Petty, Tom and the Heartbreakers – Greatest Hits (Ryan Ulyate)
Pixies – Doolittle
Ronstadt, Linda – Canciones de mi Padre
Temptations – Wish It Would Rain (Juro “Mez” Davis)
Traffic – The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys (Richard Whittaker)

Physical/downloadable releases with new and/or previously unreleased mixes:
Air – 10000 Hz Legend
Ambrosetti, Franco – Nora (Jim Anderson)
Eno, Brian - Foreverandevernomore
Fahl, Mary – Can’t Get It Out of My Head (Ronald Prent)
Fripp, Robert – Exposures (Steven Wilson & David Singleton)
Gentle Giant – Free Hand (Steven Wilson)
Guðmundsson, Hugi – Windbells (Daniel Shores)
Monkey House – Remember the Audio (John “Beetle” Bailey)
Pink Floyd – Animals 2018 remix (James Guthrie)
Shakspears Sister – Hormonally Yours
Tears for Fears – The Tipping Point (Steven Wilson)
Thoresen, Lasse – Lyden av Arktis (Morten Lindberg)
Williams, Alan – Currents
xPropaganda – The Heart Is Strange
Zappa, Frank – Waka/Wazoo

Last edited:
Nice list, though I am kind of surprised 'The Bob James Trio' made it in there :unsure:
Not one I would've expected either, but it's what people voted for (with plenty of encouragement from the label, they promoted it pretty heavily on their socials). It is a great-sounding release and the surround mix is solid for a live trio recording.

@humprof your mind is a steel trap. Indeed, back in September Heba Kadry posted that she and Bergur Borisson did the atmos mix together. I had long forgotten but you are correct (though Bergur is spelled with a u).
Pic of the room in Iceland:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-080434_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230126-080434_Instagram.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 0
Pretty sure Heba Kadry and Berger Borisson have been ID'd as the Atmos mix engineers for Fossora? @popshop might have more details.
@humprof your mind is a steel trap. Indeed, back in September Heba Kadry posted that she and Bergur Borisson did the atmos mix together. I had long forgotten but you are correct (though Bergur is spelled with a u).
Added that info to the piece, thanks guys!

Can we choose our top 3 please.

There are just sooo many great releases.And I just can't make my mind up...
Yeah--so many great mixes! And "great" in so many different ways.

For me, the streaming choices come down to Bjork and the Grateful Dead. In the end I think I give the edge to Wilson, for two reasons: he more consistently finds effective ways to make full use of the height channels, which I always admire, and--it surprises me to say this, because I've never been a Dead fan, even as I've followed Bjork through all the eccentric twists and turns of her artistic journey--I just like the music better!

As for discs/downloads: hard as it is to deny both the subtleties and the pyrotechnics of Wilson's PT and TFF Atmos mixes, I'm going to go with the underdog: Prent's restrained-but-enveloping 5.1 mix of Mary Fahl's Can't Get It Out of My Head, an album I thoroughly love.

For me, the streaming choices come down to Bjork and the Grateful Dead. In the end I think I give the edge to Wilson, for two reasons: he more consistently finds effective ways to make full use of the height channels, which I always admire, and--it surprises me to say this, because I've never been a Dead fan, even as I've followed Bjork through all the eccentric twists and turns of her artistic journey--I just like the music better!
It's easily the streaming-only title I've revisited the most. The mix is super-wide but somehow also really intimate, like you could be sitting at a campfire surrounded by the musicians. I think that feeling owes partly to the relatively 'dry' production, plus the fact that the album was very well-recorded to begin with.

It's so well-done that I just shake my head whenever I see comments online bashing streaming Atmos, some folks wouldn't believe what they're missing out on.

Well my votes were for the Grateful Dead and Tears For Fears. Both excellent IMHO.
Funny thing is I never was a big TFF fan, but this album, and the sound is so well done I keep returning to it.
Same on TFF. Didn’t give them much attention when they were everywhere in the 80s. Wasn’t my style of music then.

Took a chance with the new album simply because Wilson was tied to it and found I really loved the songs not to mention the surround mix. Easily one of my favorite albums of last year.

Great job, Jonathan, getting the listener's choice voting out there so we could break last year's numbers easily. However, I do not consider Mary Fahl's nice 5.1 album to be immersive (it's likely just me). IMHO, immersive needs to be an album that is mixed with heights (Atmos and Auro-3D are the physical disc options). Tori Amos is a nice choice for the streaming category, though. My $.02

Back