Ian Anderson: Thick As a Brick Live in Iceland (BluRay) Excellent Surround & Sonics

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I received this as a gift at Christmas and just got to hear and view it. This is an early first impression, but I'm gonna put it out there anyway, if you are in any way inclined toward Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson, you need to look into this disc. Its a recording of the live performance tour featuring TAAB and TAAB2 both played in their entirety. The audio is pristine, full of detail, not compressed to death, and has great tonal balance on my system. But best of all, it is also blessed with a fairly aggressive and effective surround mix. This may well be the best surround mix of a live performance that I have ever heard. It is definitely not mixed from the audience perspective, as is all too common (and uninteresting) with surround recordings of live material.

With respect to the video, I'm no expert here, but the HD presentation is exceptional. Nicely authored too, with bonus material.

Performance wise, I think Ian's voice has seen better days, but the man can still knock you down with acoustic guitar, flute, and antics. The material is a first rate mixture of older and newer "Tull", and the show has a lot of theatrics. I got to see this exact show in New Jersey a few years back and this recorded version is true to the show and excellent entertainment.

Moderator, can we get a poll up for this one? I think it is more than worthy.

[Later Edit] After looking more closely at the packaging, I see it was mixed by Jakko Jaksyzk. That explains a lot.

Last edited:
Yes indeed, BRILLIANT 5.1 mix. Thanks Jakko!

This is how concerts should be mixed. If listening does not like it, they can choose 2.0.

Back