If I like the Grover Washington Jnr disc, then I should try...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really enjoying this d-v disc and was wondering what the other closest sounding d-v discs are to this musically. I like the jazz / fusion style but haven't explored any of their soul releases.
They all have their own unique stylistic sensibilities; but I feel comfortable recommending these next-
*you could sample some of this music on YouTube or other if you're not sure though.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8557
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8561
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8566
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8574

I have both the Deodato (and Airto) discs. I enjoy this extended Jazzy / fusion style and this is where i see a similarity to Grover Washington Jr

Don Sebesky is on my next order, will audition the George Benson and give the Donald Byrds a few more spins.
Thamks

Van, nothing speaks more Jazz/Fusion than this fantastic D~V QUAD:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8556
91TF5dJTt5L._AC_SL1429_.jpg

I think a useful reccomendation depends on what it is exactly you like about the Grover Washington disc.

If it's the CTI production aesthetic and sound, then the other D-V CTI releases are a must - I'd probably reccomend the Deodato disc first as it has a lot of orchestral arrangements like Soul Box, as does the Don Sebesky disc. George Benson's Body Talk has more of the jazz soloist kind of thing, but it's with a smaller band occasionally augmented by a horn section.

If it's instrumental R&B with jazzy overtones that you're after (ie jazz soloing over a funky rhythm section) then the Donald Byrd discs are good - Black Byrd is more historically revered, but I made my case in the poll thread for why Street Lady is a better, more fully realized album. I'd also strongly reccomend the MFSB Philadelphia Freedom/Summertime twofer (even though only Philadelphia Freedom is in quad) as for me, it's one of the best quad mixes of any album in the whole quad era. The material is a bit more concise and pop-oriented than Soul Box, but it features some great lead sax playing from Zach Zachery throughout, and lots of bold string and horn arrangements - I think because the band wasn't playing in support of a vocalist, they cut loose in a way you don't hear when they're backing the O'Jays, Harold Melvin, etc. The instrumental tunes on the Chase 2fer (I think maybe 2 on the first album, and 4 on Pure Music) are also dynamite.

If you want to cast your net wide enough to include vocal groups, the Earth Wind & Fire Spirit/That's the Way of the World twofer is an obvious choice. Other personal favourites would include the O'Jays Survival/Family Reunion twofer, Main Ingredient Euphrates River, and the Blood, Sweat & Tears two-fer. The first half of Mirror Image isn't great, but the self-titled suite on the second side is phenomenal (with lots of jazz soloing) and I absolutely adore New City, for me the best BS&T album since their 3rd, with a great clutch of songs (and some great solos) and a phenomenal quad mix.

I think a useful reccomendation depends on what it is exactly you like about the Grover Washington disc.

The one-two punch of ā€˜Masterpieceā€™ and Trouble Man just floors me. I guess that means i like this because of the soloist within long instrumentals. Iā€™d also say that to me, this isnā€™t ā€˜ (trad) jazzā€™. The drummer and band have a rock feel at times, doesnt hurt to have Billy Cobham too :)

Iā€™ve auditioned Don Sebesky and Chase and will definitely add these. I thought Chase was supposed to be a Chicago-like ā€˜hornsā€™ band but love stuff like ā€˜Weird song #1ā€™, is that prog?

Will defintely audition the other recommendations. I also want to check out the Buddy miles / Santana (i enjoyed the santana / alice coltrane disc and hope d-v get the santana / mclaughlin album)

Some of my faves (so far) from d-v are Deodato, Return to Forever and Weather Report

It's threads like this one that make me pat myself on the back for joining this forum.

* van1 - thank you for starting this thread - (y)
* For all of you who suggested titles - (y) (y)

I love Grover Washington, Jr. Huge fan.

So for stereo titles, I'd say anything he did up through Winelight. Inner City Blues, Feels So Good, Mr. Magic, A Secret Place, all of those are really strong.

If you like the guitars on his records, check out Eric Gale's releases. Multiplication and Ginseng Woman are solid. He was the guitarist on Paul Simon's One Trick Pony (was in the movie as well). Killer phrasing, like a jazzier B.B. King. Bob James is a big part of those, just like on Grover's stuff.

Another band that's definitely funky and a bit more experimental is the Crusaders. Larry Carlton of Steely Dan studio fame is on most of their records. Their output from 1 (1972) to Free as the Wind is essential for that smooth funk jazz genre.

Back