If you can spare $375, this is a must by for converters

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I just got one of these to protect my DVD-A conversion work. It's a dual 500Gb disk array that can be configured for RAID so that the information is written to both 500Gb drives at the same time. It's USB 2.0 and Firewire (which is what I am using), so you can turn it off when you're not using it, saving uptime on the drives, and also protecting you if one drive fails, the data is still on the other drive.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11178067&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Attachments

• 147225.jpg
    147225.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 303
I'm using the same kind of storage without the fancy box by years. That's why i have 12 hard disk drive sitting on the shelf. :)

We got one of these puppies.
Paid £285 for a 1 Terabyte array. Sadly, it's sat on Claire's Video rig....(sob)
Time for a second one.....

Sorry but I don't know where to put this, but when I was checking around the forum because I now have a new found hobby converting my SQ and QS albums with my firewire recording interface, I thought it might be useful to someone if I shared my shared storage set up.

I have two Hitachi 1TB SATA hard drives in a D-Link DNS-323 NAS with gigabit ethernet http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509. Fast 100 ethernet just wasn't cutting it for me when transferring my large video and sound media files from computer to computer. This NAS is attached to my AP http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530&sec=0 and then I have my laptop with gigabit ethernet hard wired into that. One desktop is gigabit hard wired but all the other computers are 802.11n wireless.

So what I do is create LP .WAV files with my hard-wired laptop onto the NAS and have my wireless desktop retrieve the .WAV from the NAS to process it in AA simultaneously with the SQ or QS scripts (which takes a long time to run) and store the resulting processed files back onto the NAS so that they are available to any computer on my network and entertainment system. That way I can share the load of processing and archiving my 4-channel recordings over two (or more) computers making the process twice or more as fast.:)

It goes without saying then that the NAS is the central RAID repository of data and media for all my computers and main entertainment system in my house. I've only had this setup for 4 months and I'm close to out growing it with all the media files I have created since then (my laptop has an integrated TV tuner so I use it like a TIVO with Vista Media Center--gigabit files).

Another project I want to begin is archive/rip all my 1,800+ CDs into lossless .WAV files onto the NAS and attach a gigabit network media player like this one http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=547 so I can have easy access to all my music. But that is another big, big project that has to wait.:eek: And then I could do the same with my 1,500+ DVDs and hundreds of laserdiscs, oh my........what did I get myself into???:eek: Sharing the archiving processing load across multiple computers with a NAS will make the project go faster. So probably the end of this year, I'll invest in something like this NAS http://www.promise.com.tw/web_en/ns4300_en.htm and throw more 1TB drives into it over time.

This recent San Diego fire scare worried me. It will be a heck of a lot easier to grab a couple of NAS boxes with backups of all my media and a laptop at a moment's notice if I got another reverse 911 evacuation call than to haul 2,000 CDs (not to mention DVDs, LPs, laserdiscs, etc.) into the car at the last minute.:mad:@: (What's next....Offsite backup storage at my mom's????--that's an Information Technology manager thinking for you!)

Ed

Hi Neil,

Perhaps you or someone else can please give me recommendations/suggestions on how I’d like to access and stream my 24/96 multi-channel conversions from my NAS to my audio/video receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fo7B9Z...m/Main.aspx?I=158STRDA7E&search=Sony+STRDA7ES.

As I mentioned, I’d like to archive my ripped DVDs, stereo CDs and LPs on my NAS so that I will be able to stream them to my video/audio entertainment center using something like Vista Media Center or a network media player’s interface through S/DPIF (coax or optical) or HDMI. Since those are digital streams, it seems theoretically feasible then that I may be able to stream 96/24 multi-channel content to my entertainment’s receiver that recognizes 96/24 through its S/DPIF optical or coax inputs as well.

What I’d like to do is avoid making more and more DVDs and CDs as anyone knows I have a ton of them around the house. I received DiscWelder Bronze as part of a trial version (with three tries I believe) with my FirePod. Can you please tell me if DiscWelder works similar to SurCode CD DTS where Bronze will produce a single DTS 96/24 multi-channel WAV file? If so, I can store and catalog all these files on my NAS and avoid authoring DVD-As. If I put its album cover art in the same folder as the .WAV file then that will take care of that. Then perhaps I can use Vista Media Center (or Media Player) to create play lists that I can play through my laptop’s S/DPIF optical or HDMI output or use the Network Media Player to do the same.

I don't know if a multi-channel .w64 file as a digital stream will be recognized by my receiver's digital inputs as a DTS 96/24 signal, or if Vista Media Center/Player is able to send such a signal to my receiver, etc., etc. Or perhaps there is a PC software interface that can do this. Do you know anyone who has tried this? Perhaps this subject should be moved to another thread? Many questions....

I know, I know, someone out there is probably asking themselves why don’t I just get 20 or 30 of those 400 capacity DVD/CD binders to store my collections and be done with it. Yeah I started that project too, but each time I separate a CD and its booklet from its CD jewel case to put it in these binders, it seems awfully sacrilegious to me. However, I am looking toward the future where it will be more convenient for me to have everything sorted and collected in a NAS media library that I can select relatively easily from my computer. This will also allow me to access all my media on my NAS (with security of course!) wherever I have network connectivity, at home or abroad in a hotel or something. Moreover, with storage relatively affordable (I often think when I thought I was cruisin’ after I paid $500 for a 30 Meg HD in the early 80s; now you can get a 1TB HD for less!) and with how much technology has matured thus far, I think it is time to rethink my long-term media storage options. Do I want to continue adding to the shelves and shelves of media lining the rooms of my house, or does it make sense to have all cataloged in a small footprint NAS system (that I can take with me at a moment’s notice in case of a fire)? What would I do with the shelves of media after I am done?:confused: Store them in boxes that I can open up occasionally when I feel the need to be nostalgic.;)

Thanks!
Ed

Last edited:
Back