If your internet is sluggish

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, probably many of you already know this....but I've had an eye opening experience.

I have Mediacom internet service. It seems to me, over time, your service may experience degraded speed/performance. Recently, we had a major storm that dumped mega inches of rain, with power outages. I found, after that, that my speed to load pages, send text messages to multiple people had degraded immensely.

I had rebooted my modem and wifi router multiple times, hoping for better performance. Nothing worked. Finally, tonight, I called Mediacom and explained my complaints. They did a hard reboot on their end and it 100% took care of all my issues.

So.....if you have problems similar to mine, consider calling your provider and have them do a reset, it seems to do the trick. :) I'm back to lightning speed and very snappy page loading. Love it....

So, probably many of you already know this....but I've had an eye opening experience.

I have Mediacom internet service. It seems to me, over time, your service may experience degraded speed/performance. Recently, we had a major storm that dumped mega inches of rain, with power outages. I found, after that, that my speed to load pages, send text messages to multiple people had degraded immensely.

I had rebooted my modem and wifi router multiple times, hoping for better performance. Nothing worked. Finally, tonight, I called Mediacom and explained my complaints. They did a hard reboot on their end and it 100% took care of all my issues.

So.....if you have problems similar to mine, consider calling your provider and have them do a reset, it seems to do the trick. :) I'm back to lightning speed and very snappy page loading. Love it....
I'm having similar issues with my AT&T U-verse DSL in the last few days, don't know if it's related to the massive fires all around me or what. But mainly, the speed is OK; it just is slow to load web pages and my U-verse has had issues with hangs from between a second to a minute or two, very odd behavior. I hard rebooted my router but still have some issues, so may need to call their Tech Support, yadda yadda yadda...

I used to have to do a lot of trickery with multiple providers in the area to get internet working in general because it would keep dropping out.

Switched to Google fiber, no issues so far, even during severe events.

WE have cable internet-very fast when it's fast but not always as you share with other users. Rebooting the modem helps. We had fiber in our previous home-some speed issues but generally much more consistent. Sometimes logging into your modem and changing the channel helps IF you know what you're doing, a big IF.

I'm having similar issues with my AT&T U-verse DSL in the last few days, don't know if it's related to the massive fires all around me or what. But mainly, the speed is OK; it just is slow to load web pages and my U-verse has had issues with hangs from between a second to a minute or two, very odd behavior. I hard rebooted my router but still have some issues, so may need to call their Tech Support, yadda yadda yadda...

DSL, seriously? I thought ATT had a speedier option. I haven't used DSL for maybe 15 years...

Spectrum Cable here & all I can really complain about is the price. Rock solid 130 MBS down but only 12 MBS up. In the last few months I have had intermittent loss of connectiviety. Like Gene, restart modem/router usually fixed it for a while. Just last week I found how to get into my Motorola Surfboard modem & check specs like signal strength, SNR, & event log. The event log showed transmit errors at the times I was having problems. They are linked to poor connections such as loose coax connections, etc. Well we had a 3 way splitter on the side of the house that we only used 2 ports with. I replaced it with a quality PCT 2 way & all is right again.

I used to have to do a lot of trickery with multiple providers in the area to get internet working in general because it would keep dropping out.

Switched to Google fiber, no issues so far, even during severe events.

Google fiber is in our area & I always kept Google fiber/TV in my back pocket as a speedier & less expensive (tho not by much) option than Spectrum. Then they dropped the TV service. I would have internet only in my house if I had my choice. But it's actually our house & my wife has her programs & a local sports ch you can't get on any internet service. So, not much point to split the service from a expense stand point.

DSL, seriously? I thought ATT had a speedier option. I haven't used DSL for maybe 15 years...

Spectrum Cable here & all I can really complain about is the price. Rock solid 130 MBS down but only 12 MBS up. In the last few months I have had intermittent loss of connectiviety. Like Gene, restart modem/router usually fixed it for a while. Just last week I found how to get into my Motorola Surfboard modem & check specs like signal strength, SNR, & event log. The event log showed transmit errors at the times I was having problems. They are linked to poor connections such as loose coax connections, etc. Well we had a 3 way splitter on the side of the house that we only used 2 ports with. I replaced it with a quality PCT 2 way & all is right again.
Tricky subject in our house; wife retired from AT&T, but we get a heck of a good deal on it. So there is a loyalty issue. We only get 50 down & 5 up; so yeah, Ice Age speeds relatively I guess. But, we also have Comcast with higher speeds in our neighborhood; the thing with them is one, I don’t like the company from having cable service with them in the past, and two, I constantly hear from neighbors who have the Comcast service and get frequent outages. At least the DSL has been good in that respect. But praying hard AT&T gets fiber to the prim. here at some point 🙏 due to competition with Comcast. I also believe Google is a shit company when it comes to developing long term products and services; just not an option anyway. Good that you’ve got the Tech smarts to get into yours and tinker, if I did that, I fear I’d end up with a blank screen and 0 speed :)

Just sayin' that sounds like a line from Firesign Theater. And if it isn't, it should be.
It was early in the morning; I actually meant this guy (not Jasper)

CASPER.jpg

what does rebooting actually do ? is there junk in the line? what is that junk? why is it a problem in 2021? are we going to be better off in 2031?

Every time I have had to reboot my modem/router, it was because there was junk on the power line.

Rebooting provides a fresh load of the software. Sometimes power hits can cause some locations in RAM to change their values. Usually this happens when a memory location is being accessed by the computer when the power hit happens.

AT&T is phasing out straight DSL, but in areas where service is provided over copper, U-Verse uses a newer variant of DSL, I believe VDSL2. It is in fact speedier than DSL, but not as fast as cable or fiber.

In other areas U-Verse is delivered over GPON, aka fiber to the premises, which is faster than either VDSL2 or cable.

It all depends on what infrastructure AT&T has in the area.

Back