I'm ALL multichannel all over the place.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinojack

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Years ago I gave my oldest brother my first SACD/DVD multichannel system. A cheap SONY system, very plastic but doesn't sound bad, tested it with Roxy Music's "Avalon". Anyway, he never used it and he passed away recently so I inherited it back. I just set it up in my spare bedroom as I live in a 2-bedroom apartment so I now have every room equipped with a multichannel system. I could conceivably put on Elton's "Goodbye YBR" LP in the living room, The Pure Audio blu-ray in my bedroom and the SACD in the other bedroom and go to town. "All the Young Girls Love Alice" anyone? I can see how long it takes for me to get kicked out.

Those boomerangs are sweet, like seeing an old friend for the first time in years!

My friend Susan had it in her WILL that Linda receive her Dylan collection. I never requested it. I gifted her many of them in the 40 years we were friends. Got a few Theme Time Radio CD's I didn't have. Got reacquainted w/SH gold CD of Highway 61.

When my Dad passed, I received a Calibre receiver (Pacific house brand), Sony cassette deck, TransAudio belt turntable w/Ortofon MM cartridge, Yamaha CD carousel, and Kenwood speakers. I gave my folks this as a Christmas present. Also got a few more JVC VCR's, Panasonic VCR/DVD burner, 4 Polk T20's, Panasonic 60" plasma, 1/2 speed Sergio Mendes LP, and Sony SACD/DVD changer Home Theater in a boxI

Inherited a Sansui QRX 6001 (w/ CD-4) and QRX 5001 when a GF's Dad passed. He also had a raft of Q8's, some of which I hadn't owned, reels, LP's and other goodies.

A few dozen friends have given me their collection and/or gear when they no longer had that format, LP's, reels, etc. Although I never asked for them, I was honored to be thought of. Everyone know that I'm a lifelong music and hi-fi nut. Or, maybe just a regular nut.

5 surround systems in our home. OK, the Onkyo in our laundry room is 5.1, but only has 2 Polks and a Yamaha CD carousel. It replaced a boom box! No space for more. Other systems are B&K separates/REL/Mission, Denon 7.1 w/Polks & 12" Polk sub, Sony HTIB and Marantz Quad w/Philips 3-way spkrs.

It all took over the house long ago! Nuts, but don't want to be cured.

I was introduced to my stereo buddy when I needed someone to help me build the boxes to my big monsters. We were instant best friends and did a lot of deals together and were partners in crime. When he passed away suddenly his brother and I had to move a lot of his stuff and I still inherited a number of wonderful things. Most notably my original turntable which I had traded to him for a Technics SLP10.
We went NUTS when CDs happened. I can only imagine what we would have gotten into if he was around for SACDs and DVD-As. We were introduced in 77 after quad was fading. We both managed to miss it.

Yes in addition to the system I got back all the recordings I gave him over the years. Something curious, he had 3 different CDs of “Sticky Fingers” two still in cellophane, and all of them different manufacturers. Two have the underwear on the back, the other the back of the jeans.

I’ve also had a few friends give me their LP “collections” over the years. Some in good shape, others with inner sleeves missing… Some of those could be cleaned up to acceptable levels so I was exposed to new (to me) stuff.

I have an old single-owner Altec 724 that is on my bucket list to add Involve’s modules to, along with the only University E8s ever produced (engineering prototypes) and the never-did-work amplifier companion to the 724, all from my days at Altec in the early 70s that I intend to put in the guest room. Bucket list project, not this year.

Back