I'm reading that SAMSUNG BluRay players are just like stopping playing!!!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is NOT with Samsung, it is a problem affecting potentially every internet connected device. It's just that it has shown up first in old Samsung blu-ray players.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/well-heres-another-thing-you-can-worry-about

Wow...great reasons to Not buy big $$$ items and to stay off the damn internet.

Several yrs ago I was shopping for cars...I looked at one that had some devices in it that could wirelessly open ur garage door ur front house door etc..,didn't want any of that sh*t
Don't want or need my lights my fridge my whole house internet connected...crazy people

Listen years ago when I had my own high security locksmith products n they Ford gm etc..,started coming out with there OBD computerized crap I knew things would n could start going downhill w all this wireless signals hacking etc...I'll stay in the unconnected world...thank u very much

The problem is NOT with Samsung, it is a problem affecting potentially every internet connected device. It's just that it has shown up first in old Samsung blu-ray players.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/well-heres-another-thing-you-can-worry-about
If this is true, this is a really messed up shit show ( like we don’t already have enough of that.) The manufacturers should have known about this and built in a kind of push update to restore the gear. But hey, if everything is randomly doing it, then they can act dumb and sell you new gear 🤬

If this is true, this is a really messed up shit show ( like we don’t already have enough of that.) The manufacturers should have known about this and built in a kind of push update to restore the gear. But hey, if everything is randomly doing it, then they can act dumb and sell you new gear 🤬

Very glad when I bought my Samsung TV I got the "stupid" TV instead of the "smart" tv

Ps avoid "smart" anything!

I also have a 2-3 year new Samsung 46" LED TV (bought cheap figuring a near future upgrade) that pushed an update only a week or two ago, which rarely happens AFAIK, so maybe that's what it was fixing 🤞
Probably go with a larger LG OLED model next.

And in other news...keys to vehicles thru ur phone...what could possibly go wrong???

www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/apple[/URL]

1592851543371.png

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pehaps you meant the Tesla Road Show sub-link? It is black when I click on it.

Well my friend locks/unlocks doors & starts car from his phone with his Tesla 3. He has some kind of an RFD card in his wallet if he locks his phone inside.

View attachment 52949

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pehaps you meant the Tesla Road Show sub-link? It is black when I click on it.

Well my friend locks/unlocks doors & starts car from his phone with his Tesla 3. He has some kind of an RFD card in his wallet if he locks his phone inside.

Sorry tried linking CNET article...I'm on ipod or smartphone...not computer...anyways it's about apple n using phone as ur key...read it

Oh n many moons ago in a former life I was one of many companies who would sell ur friend his equipment to do just that...open unlock n start a vehicle

Oh its RFID radio frequency identification device...rolling code technology...billions of possibilities

Last edited:
I have a samsung blu ray player, and indeed it started failing since the weekend. It tries to go on but then it kinda restarts. I've called Customer Service and they have no idea when they will fix it. Their only response is keep checking our website for updates on the situation. This is a joke. This is the only blu ray player that I have. I sincerely don't know how they are gonna fix this, apparently through an automatic firmware update, when been online, but if my blu ray player cannot even get on, how will it?
My guess is that I'll have to take it to one of their repair centers so that they can load/reload the fixed firmware via USB.

I have a samsung blu ray player, and indeed it started failing since the weekend. It tries to go on but then it kinda restarts. I've called Customer Service and they have no idea when they will fix it. Their only response is keep checking our website for updates on the situation. This is a joke. This is the only blu ray player that I have. I sincerely don't know how they are gonna fix this, apparently through an automatic firmware update, when been online, but if my blu ray player cannot even get on, how will it?
My guess is that I'll have to take it to one of their repair centers so that they can load/reload the fixed firmware via USB.
I bought a cheapo Samsung BD player about 7 yrs ago so I could watch HD on the main floor level while I was recupping from surgery. I don't use it much but all these posts meant I had to check it out.

Started up fine. Connected to WiFi network fine. Played 2 test DVD's & two BD's fine. Ditto for Netflix, VUDU & YouTube (built into the player not my TV). So I'm OK for now. Oddly when I tried to check for a firmware update it said "can not connect to network". Whaaa?

Our family viewing TV is an older 46" Phillips + cable + Samsung player. The TV does not have streaming capabilities & neither does my Panny projector downstairs in the Bassment. But my Oppo 105 does & it seems the perfect solution without having to go Roku, etc. It's too bad Oppo didn't extend those features to the 205's . If the Samsung craps out it's easy to buy another cheap player. If the Oppo succumbs to certificate errors in the future I will be sorely hurt.

Last edited:

Yes it’s a public relations nightmare for Samsung and any other company with high rate of lockups.

And while it is “potentially” every device, it’s Samsung BluRay players. Oh old BR players.

So I’ll say it again, it’s a “Fucking Public Relations” nightmare for Samsung and potentially other makers of players and gear that customers have been convinced to connect to their internet.

Yes it’s a public relations nightmare for Samsung and any other company with high rate of lockups.

And while it is “potentially” every device, it’s Samsung BluRay players. Oh old BR players.

So I’ll say it again, it’s a “Fucking Public Relations” nightmare for Samsung and potentially other makers of players and gear that customers have been convinced to connect to their internet.

Agree, and if they dont fix this...they will lose some potential customers that may have considered buying a Galaxy cellphone, or any other device.

Good luck with that.

Fact is, that’s just not an option anymore.
Newer Blu-Rays require an updated key to play.
Players have to be able to get updates reliably.
My Oppo never goes online ever. But then I don't play that many BR discs "movies" on it. Its used for surround discs, and it plays fine every one I tossed at it in every format. Fingers crossed.

Man, this is horrible news. I've only done 1 update over the years to 1 of the 5 BD/4K players that I've owned and that was only to get the first BD release of Aliens to play. Since then, I haven't connected anything to the Internet except for my reasonably recent Sony 4K TV (I only use one streaming service through it - Kanopy). Hopefully, nothing spits the dummy and they sort it out for those with affected devices. What a nightmare.

I wonder what are the BR discs that are known to not play without some of the later firmware revisions?

Like, are there test discs I can use in my Oppo to see if it agrees with the biggest, newest, greatest out there?

I can pick up some titles at my library and see what works and what does not work. It is looking like my Oppo is not likely going online again.

Great article on the expiring certificates. Not sure how this gets fixed without massive inconvenience. I blame Star Trek. Usually when their technology failed them it was because of something evil which was vanquished by the end of the episode. Or it was because their computers were infected with an intelligent race of microscopic dust like motes which didn’t know they were endangering humans and at the end of the episode were blown out the rear end of the Enterprise, saving all. They never had an episode devoted to “Cuz we were stupid.” I guess that isn’t a very glamorous plot line. Damn you Picard.

Back