• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

IMPORTANT FORUM INFO - Please read

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I have to tell you, honestly I am pretty clueless when it comes to websites, html, and all of that stuff, so you'll all have to bear with me here.

Some of you, me as well, have noticed that lately we've been having some odd security issues where you could be logged in and try to post, but the software (actually it was your browser) was giving you a SECURITY ERROR and you had to refresh or login again to continue. This happened usually when you logged into QQ, but then opened another browser window. The login you did on the first window you opened no longer carried into the new window, so if you clicked a thread via 'open in a new window or tab', the security token did not follow, so even though you were logged into the forum, you were not logged in through that browser session.

Do you follow me? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Well, I went over to the forum software people to see what the deal was, and it turns out that the newer version of web browsers, especially Firefox and Chrome want to see secure web pages now, and if they don't, they complain.

What this means in layman's terms is that instead of the site being http:\\.... it wants to see https:\\.... So in order to do that, I needed to activate SSL which turned out to be total confusion as I navigated a black hole of sorts.

Anyway, we are now secure! HOWEVER, you all have to change your shortcuts and links to reflect https:\\www.quadraphonicquad.com otherwise you'll still be unsecure. Maybe this will propagate after some time, I don't know. Also there could be more I have to do.

At any rate, this site is about as innocuous as can be as we have no ads and no scripts (other than XenForo forum stuff), so it really doesn't matter if we're 'S' or not, but we have to keep our browsers happy or else they complain.

Anyway, bottom line is, change your shortcuts. The best way to do it is to delete your old shortcut to the forum, manually type or copy the secure link (the entire thing) https:\\www.quadraphonicquad.com into your browser, make sure you see the green locked icon (in firefox) or the closed padlock in other browsers, then save that as a favorite. This way you know you'll get the secure connection.

I really don't know why this is such a big deal, but there you go. If any of you are SSL experts and can tell me what else I need to do with this, chime on in.

Otherwise, go forth and post - securely! o_O

Last edited:

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Thanks that has answered something that puzzled me. I'm not au fait with html etc. either. I've been away abroad on business for 3 weeks, and so bored in a hotel (you can only watch the various repetitive World New channels for so long!) I'd been using my Android Tablet & Chrome to view QQ and I did have that 'error', but I also had it from a few other sites, like the BBC website (but not every time!), but after I did a refresh it went, yet the Security Error only occurred on a few websites. I put it down to the hotel Wi-Fi being free so unsecured, even though I have Norton running.

Last edited:

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Thanks Jim.

OK, here's the update. The folks are our web host went out of their way today to help me, even on Mothers Day!, so I think all of the secure issues have been resolved. Over the next few days, the web servers around the world will start directing all queries of QQ to the secure web pages, even if they don't put in the 's', so we'll see how that goes.

I would still recommend changing your browser favorites and links for this site to include the https://, that way you can be sure everything will work.

What a day! Be sure to look for the locked padlock or whatever your browser shows for a secure site:

secure web.jpg

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Heads up for members. If for some reason you do not see the locked icon in the forum web address, or you are still getting security errors, just click on the big forum logo at the top of every page and you will be instantly taken to the secure website.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Modified my QQ urls and everything is working well under Windows 10, if I open a 2nd Tab to QQ it recognises I'm logged in as well.
Thanks Jon.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I still don't fully understand the whole reason that sometimes the old unsecure link comes up. The web people said they installed redirects so that any search of the old http: would automatically be sent to the https:, but that doesn't seem to be true.

Any of you web experts know anything about this?

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
There is one more update I have yet to install. Apparently the European Countries are requiring websites to get permission from each internet user using a website that it's OK to use cookies! I have seen this pop up appear on other websites and always ignored it. Something like "This site uses cookies to blah-blah-blah." It's like those stupid letters you get from credit card companies, banks, and insurance companies that tell you what they do with your data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Well, the forum software does use cookies for things like remembering you're logged in and stuff like that, so we'll end up with that stupid message. Hopefully you'll have to only click on it once (unless you erase your cookies like I do). So, more "stuff" is coming. Nothing's easy.

Rest assured, QQ cookies go nowhere and none of your info goes anywhere. Heck, I would not even give one industry insiders email to another industry insider without the permission of the requested. Your stuff is safe as long as I have anything to say about it!

A summary of the changes in this release for both XF1 and XF2:
  • New notice position "Fixed" which fixes notices to the bottom of the page.
  • GDPR: New default privacy policy help page
  • GDPR: Ability to mark change log entries as "protected" so they will never be pruned
  • GDPR: New fields to log the date and time that the privacy policy / terms and rules were last accepted (logged as protected in the user change log)
  • GDPR: Now possible to force all members to accept privacy policy / terms and rules before continuing using the site
  • GDPR: More detailed cookie notice which has to be explicitly acknowledged. It will appear in the new "Fixed" notice position.
  • GDPR: Updated default Cookie help page text.
  • GDPR: When deleting a user, give an option to change their name in order to anonymize content they have created.
  • GDPR: Functionality to allow very basic personal details to be exported in XML format on one forum and imported into another to comply with data portability.
  • GDPR: Require explict consent when registering and only log acceptance if consent was given.
  • GDPR: New option to show "Require site email" option to be filled in during registration (with consent date being logged if appropriate).
  • GPDR: Add a new option to anonymise IP addresses for Google Analytics.

Status
Not open for further replies.