IMPORTANT: Thoughts please regarding legit 5.1 downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you purchase a 5.1/4.0 download from a place like HDTracks?

• Total voters
Yes, I like downloads, but also with a little extra effort. So include liner notes and artwork. I hate boxsets, almost never buy them. I am in my fifties and have no need in marbles, posters, stickers, I have no space for over the top sizes boxes. All the no-nonsense independant releases under 10$ I buy without hesitasion. Also everything between 10-20$ I end up buying too. Some charge too much for my liking, I hate to pay the same amount of postage to the amount of music...

I would definitely buy!
I like physical discs specially if they are Blurays with lots of extras but i am even making backups on them as well.
I play files through my Cambridge player and enjoy the possibility to easy switch to other things to listen too.
What i miss with downloads is the information that i can read in the packages of physical discs.
Sometimes the PDFs included from HDtracks are really good with all that info, but unfortunately most often it is just an image of the cover.

One old school collector here. Not got into downloading yet but I know the day will come, when even this dinosaur will have to bend to the new ways.

thomas_edison-phonograph1.jpg

So a slightly reluctant 'Yes' from me.

Last edited:
Give me a "Don't shoot me" 5.1 download and i'll go buy it!

Picky....Picky!
One old school collector here. Not got into downloading yet but I know the day will come, when even this dinosaur will have to bend to the new ways.

View attachment 36166

So a slightly reluctant 'Yes' from me.

There's NOTHING wrong with being 'old school' beerking ....... but I would upgrade that audio system:ROFLMAO: and that baggy suit!

rca-dog.jpg

And please stop hiding those doggie treats inside the cone!

Last edited:
Emphatic "YES" from Baggy. My preference for album offerings is CD/MC-disc. Next would be stand-alone MC-disc, then box set.
All of the above are better than nothing at all. If highly desirable downloads were available, I'd choose that option over an expensive box and possibly over stand-alone discs too. And I'd certainly go for it each and every time, were it the only option.

I would buy the downloads and in fact already purchase 5.1 classical downloads. I’d like to point out that I do NOT, however, buy MP3 or iTunes downloads because I don’t want the lossy format (with the exception of when there’s one song I have to learn for a gig and don’t want to chase down the whole album).

My answer is YES!

I'm with sjcorne on this:

Bottom line: if it means we're getting rare old quads or unreleased 5.1s, I don't care what the delivery method is. Just get the mixes out there!

Also, I wish to explain what my personal favourite business models for purchasing Multichannel music are:

Dutton/Vocalion - because of their pricing policy, superb mastering, variety and content of catalogue, excellent quality control, and no hype policy. They always deliver the goods at the prices I'm happy to pay. I also prefer Hybryd SACD and as physical format. They're also the least pretentious company out there.

NativeDSD Music - because of their multiple format/resolution options, I also love that I can cherry pick the tracks I wish to buy from one album instead of having to buy the whole album (I wish all online digital stores had that option), their payment and delivery methods are painless user friendly, and they often offer discounts and free samplers, like a real records shop would do.

I would ABSOLUTELY purchase 5.1 downloads if reasonably priced. I've already ripped (FLAC/WAV) my entire physical library of DVD-A discs to enable me to play them with 5.1 on my XBOX One (using PLEX) in our game room and through my Apple TV (using PLEX) in our family room. All my files are stored on 4TB external drive connected to my Mac (using PLEX Server app). The only place I can play my physical DVD-A discs is in my 2013 Acura MDX. I've made a few DVD-A mix discs from my ripped files, as well, but I'm looking forward to purchasing my next Acura that will enable me to play my 5.1 files through USB memory.

Let's be honest though, the future of 5.1 is likely in "streaming/subscription" media not downloads or physical media. Netflix, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon and Hulu are all indicators of where the market is headed. THEY LOVE RECURRING REVENUE!
Digital-Retailers.jpg

I would support a hi-rez download site if they offered multi-channel. If they would offer an insight as to the quality of what you are purchasing, that would be even better. What I mean is....I'd hate to say how many stereo "hi-rez" titles I've purchased that sound very average. But, I guess that is no different than purchasing a disc that sounds average.

Hi All

I am on the fence on this topic I can see the value of the digital file domain, I`m old school I have Quad LP`s Q4 - Q8 Tape and I want to digitally preserve these.
And these are 40+ years old mostly in mint condition some factory sealed not opened yet, and I have SACD-Blue-ray Disc`s DVD`s.
But will these files on a hard drive be here in 40 year from now I think my LP`s will be ???????

Back