Importing Discs into the UK post 1st January 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I read a disturbing article in the Times yesterday. So come the 1st January 2021 those of us in the UK may have a bit of difficulty importing discs, hopefully not.
But,
  1. The £15 exemption vanishes so all goods imported will the liable for UK VAT
  2. Any company outside the UK will have to register with HRMC and pay UK VAT directly to the government on sales into the UK
  3. Amazon has told sellers that after 01/01/21 they will need to hold stock in the UK for it to be sold in the UK, previously it could 'fulfilled' from be anywhere in the EU
  4. It will cost companies to do this either in time and/or in costs by using 3rd parties, or additions to software packages etc., so some may just stop selling to the UK
The plus side is that William Shatner has said he won't be selling his tat from his store to the UK :ROFLMAO:

Maybe we also might not have to pay the around £12 tax gathering fee, but it is likely any company that does sell to the UK will raise its costs.

I hope companies like CDJapan continue to sell to the UK, and that we're still able to buy direct from labels like Mascot etc. otherwise it will only be amazon.

CCF_000205.jpg

And of course currently anything imported from the EU is free of Import Duty. That exemption will end as well, so it will be as expensive to import stuff from the EU as it currently is from the US or Australia. In the looking glass world of Boris these are huge improvements that unshackle us from our European Overlords and restore the land of milk and honey that we all enjoyed before we joined the EU.

And of course currently anything imported from the EU is free of Import Duty. That exemption will end as well, so it will be as expensive to import stuff from the EU as it currently is from the US or Australia. In the looking glass world of Boris these are huge improvements that unshackle us from our European Overlords and restore the land of milk and honey that we all enjoyed before we joined the EU.
Yep, the idealistic dreams of the past, bringing back the early 70s, strikes, power cuts, 90% tax, ah when we were great! and if the buffoon who would be World King continues in the same manner we'll end up as the Un-united Kingdom, and I'll need another passport to stay in England.

Yep, the idealistic dreams of the past, bringing back the early 70s, strikes, power cuts, 90% tax, ah when we were great! and if the buffoon who would be World King continues in the same manner we'll end up as the Un-united Kingdom, and I'll need another passport to stay in England.
In 2019, with extraordinary irony the Prime Moron created the post of "Minister for the Union" and, untroubled by hubris, appointed himself to the role. It's not going well is it? I notice he doesn't use that job title a lot these days, I must ask my MP why.

Last edited:
As a trade agreement with Japan has been signed hopefully that will mean we shouldn’t encounter problems with purchasing from cdjapan?

As a trade agreement with Japan has been signed hopefully that will mean we shouldn’t encounter problems with purchasing from cdjapan?
That's what I'm hoping for, but there is Far Side Music who imports from Japan but so far only Far Eastern artists like Tomita, maybe they could be persuaded to do general Japanese releases.

To be fair, the under £15 exemption costs the treasury in lost revenue. That part makes sense depending on the goals of government policy (promoting trade in small items vs. generating tax revenue). An awful lot of goods cost £14.99 as a result of that limit. The only reason it wasn't scrapped sooner was the difficulty of collecting the VAT on everything. But given all sellers into the UK now have to register with HMRC and pay the VAT directly, the collection issues have changed.

I'm not saying I agree with removing the under £15 exemption. But it makes sense even without Brexit. The limit used to £18 remember, it was reduced to generate more revenue for HMRC.

Today, as member of the EU, you have the same customs duty for imports from non EU countries as the rest of the EU. After Brexit it can be more expensive or less expensive. It depends on what customs duty tariffs the UK will decide to have from 2021. In Sweden most of our duties were lower before we entered the EU in 1995, so it's not sure that imports will be more expensive. If the UK and EU can make a free trade agreement there will perhaps not be any duties for imports from the EU either. I think both EU and UK are interested in agreements of that kind.

Back