• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Impulse label "QS" encoded CD

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

soundsation

I have searched forums and not seen any conclusions whether Keith Jarrett Impulse years 1973-1974 5 cd set has the QS encoding still intact, as the albums were only originally recorded using QS encoding only. Some of what is the original un-edited songs on this have same running time +_/- a few seconds than the quad lp versions I have.
Any experiences on this 5 cd set (produced in 1997 and this Impulse / GRP / universal label with Ed Michel mentioned as part of original and this cd set producing. The other 4 cd set 1975 - 1976, or the 9 cd box set that came out much later which contains the first 2 sets mentioned (total of 9) may be similar encoding don't know. Any experiences or knowledge regarding mainly the 5 cd set produced in 1997 would be great.

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have searched forums and not seen any conclusions whether Keith Jarrett Impulse years 1973-1974 5 cd set has the QS encoding still intact, as the albums were only originally recorded using QS encoding only. Some of what is the original un-edited songs on this have same running time +_/- a few seconds than the quad lp versions I have.
Any experiences on this 5 cd set (produced in 1997 and this Impulse / GRP / universal label with Ed Michel mentioned as part of original and this cd set producing. The other 4 cd set 1975 - 1976, or the 9 cd box set that came out much later which contains the first 2 sets mentioned (total of 9) may be similar encoding don't know. Any experiences or knowledge regarding mainly the 5 cd set produced in 1997 would be great.
No direct experience with this one, @soundsation. (And I hadn't realized that the big 9-disc set from 2013 was preceded by these earlier releases.) The Discogs listing says it was remastered by Wally Buck, which isn't a good sign. In general, if an engineer goes back to the (unencoded) analogue masters to do a digital remaster, then the QS encoding will be lost. Still: the cheapest copy is selling for 19 bucks, so if you have a Sansui or a SurroundMaster at home, it wouldn't cost you much to find out.

I and a few others here do have some experience with the Impulse "2-on-1" series, and we've found that any albums in that series that were originally released in QS did retain the quad encoding. Same goes for earlier single-disc reissues of Fort Yahwuh, Treasure Island, Death and the Flower, and Backhand. But I think the Jarrett albums that made it onto a 2-on-1 were from 1975-6, not 1973-4.

soundsation

Thanks for the leads humprof. I have all-ready purchased at twice that ammount new un-opened, and thinking I may want to return it if seems more likely that it is not, as I have 2 of these in vinyl format all-ready, and I would know real quick, and of course the db in separation would be noticed much more in the cd version for quad effect.

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I and a few others here do have some experience with the Impulse "2-on-1" series, and we've found that any albums in that series that were originally released in QS did retain the quad encoding. Same goes for earlier single-disc reissues of Fort Yahwuh, Treasure Island, Death and the Flower, and Backhand. But I think the Jarrett albums that made it onto a 2-on-1 were from 1975-6, not 1973-4.
I take back that last bit. All four of those Jarrett quads made it onto a 2-on-1: