HiRez Poll Incubus - A CROW LEFT OF MURDER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Incubus - A CROW LEFT OF MURDER

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD! (y):phones(n)

I didn't buy it when I heard Nick Didia did the 5.1 mix. Hopefully someone can tell us how he faired. I expect the worst.

I enjoyed this album a lot and have given it a 10; I really wish that more music like this was released on DVD-A and SACD.

The 5.1 mix is very enjoyable as it takes advantages of the surround speakers, but the surround can also lean towards panorama style ambiance. The sound quality is great and there are times when the surround really does bring you into the music more. This mix divides the vocals up amongst the 3 front channels, but I wish that they had left the vocals in the center channel for the most part and been more creative with the 4 other channels or creatively placed the voice in other speakers discretely at appropriate times.

I love Incubus so it would be hard for me to not enjoy this album. A Crow Left of Murder is very different from Incubus' past work; it is much more mellow and refined. Go pick it up if you have enjoyed any of Incubus' past work.

I just wanted to add that I found out today that there is also a 5.1 DualDisc release of this album. I'm not sure though if the DualDisc release is in DVD-A or Dolby Digital format, but considering that it is a Sony record I would lean towards Dolby Digital. Anyone have any more information???

I was going through my list of titles that I have as yet to vote on, and this was one. I was a bit surprised to notice that there was only one vote and very few comments.

The first track "Megalomania" is awesome, with an aggressive mix, and IMO worth the purchase all by itself. If anyone is offended by a little profanity, you may want to skip this song. There are a couple songs with sparse use of surrounds but for the most part "ACLOM" is a great surround title and Incubus is just Rockin'.

I personally like to skip around on this disc as it's one I don't typically listen to from start to finish. But I'm sure big Incubus fans wouldn't want to touch the remote at all.

If more current music would have been released on SACD (or DVD-A), perhaps high res multichannel would have piqued the interest of younger listeners and mainstream buyers.

Recording 10
Surround mix 8
Content 7

It gets an 8.

Dennis

Thanks for the comment Dennis, have tiptoed around this title wondering. I shall work it into the shopping mix...

Thanks for the heads up! I bought the SACD at Amazon yesterday for $13 shipped. Another one for the collection...:)

Back